Off topic: The Reluctant Translator
Thread poster: Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Local time: 18:21
Oct 8, 2006

OK so you guys didn't like the idea of "Adjunct Translator" (see http://www.proz.com/topic/56652 )

'ow 'bout "Reluctant Translator" then?

Like "Reluctant Dragon"? (No I haven't seen it)?

And they have this story about a Reluctant Translator here -- his name was Macpherson; look for the title "The Reluctant Translator"
... See more
OK so you guys didn't like the idea of "Adjunct Translator" (see http://www.proz.com/topic/56652 )

'ow 'bout "Reluctant Translator" then?

Like "Reluctant Dragon"? (No I haven't seen it)?

And they have this story about a Reluctant Translator here -- his name was Macpherson; look for the title "The Reluctant Translator" -- the URL: http://www.sonasmor.net/CD13.html
Collapse

Jande
Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:21
Danish to English
+ ...
I understand the reluctance Oct 9, 2006

When translating poetry, you not only have to translate the words, but often also to make them rhyme and fit into another countries context. Added to that poems and songs often contain phrases, sayings that pertain only to the source language and words that can specifically mean two different things like in jokes.

I can see why he was reluctant.

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Local time: 18:21
TOPIC STARTER
Macpherson basically thought justice could not be done in translating poems... Oct 9, 2006

I think I have an idea about what you mean, Jande. I tried re-writing in English a couple of Turkish poems and it is indeed difficult. And I can't dare call what I did there translation because I don't even know exactly what rhyme is (e.g., I don't known much about kinds of rhymes) much less about *meter* or whatever other structure elements there are in poetry. (But - and please don't tell this to any body - translating poetry I believe could be the only kind of translation work I could possibl... See more
I think I have an idea about what you mean, Jande. I tried re-writing in English a couple of Turkish poems and it is indeed difficult. And I can't dare call what I did there translation because I don't even know exactly what rhyme is (e.g., I don't known much about kinds of rhymes) much less about *meter* or whatever other structure elements there are in poetry. (But - and please don't tell this to any body - translating poetry I believe could be the only kind of translation work I could possibly and truly like. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to buy a loaf of bread.)

So... maybe I'm translator as much as Reluctant Dragon is dragon (though I haven't seen it).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Reluctant Translator

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »