https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/60672-be_adequite%3A_now_here_is_a_challenge.html

Off topic: "Be adequite": Now here is a challenge...
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:17
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 30, 2006

Have you all heard about the famous Lindsay Lohan letter? Now thát would be a translation challenge!
Lindsay Lohan released a statement Tuesday extending her condolences to Robert Altman's family:
"I would like to send my condolences out to Catherine Altman, Robert Altmans wife, as well as all of his immediate family, close friends, co-workers, and all of his inner circle.

"I feel as if I've just had the
... See more
Have you all heard about the famous Lindsay Lohan letter? Now thát would be a translation challenge!
Lindsay Lohan released a statement Tuesday extending her condolences to Robert Altman's family:
"I would like to send my condolences out to Catherine Altman, Robert Altmans wife, as well as all of his immediate family, close friends, co-workers, and all of his inner circle.

"I feel as if I've just had the wind knocked out of me and my heart aches.

"If not only my heart but the heart of Mr. Altman's wife and family and many fellow actors/artists that admire him for his work and love him for making people laugh whenever and however he could..

"Robert altman made dreams possible for many independent aspiring filmmakers, as well as creating roles for countless actors.

"I am lucky enough to of been able to work with Robert Altman amongst the other greats on a film that I can genuinely say created a turning point in my career.

"I learned so much from Altman and he was the closest thing to my father and grandfather that I really do believe I've had in several years.

"The point is, he made a difference.

"He left us with a legend that all of us have the ability to do.

"So every day when you wake up.

"Look in the mirror and thank god for every second you have and cherish all moments.

"The fighting, the anger, the drama is tedious.

"Please just take each moment day by day and consider yourself lucky to breathe and feel at all and smile. Be thankful.

"Life comes once, doesn't 'keep coming back' and we all take such advantage of what we have.

"When we shouldn't..... '

"Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourselves' (12st book) -everytime there's a triumph in the world a million souls hafta be trampled on.-altman Its true. But treasure each triumph as they come.

"If I can do anything for those who are in a very hard time right now, as I'm one of them with hearing this news, please take advantage of the fact that I'm just a phone call away.

God Bless, peace and love always.

Thank You,

"BE ADEQUITE"

Lindsay Lohan

[Edited at 2006-11-30 05:04]
Collapse

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:17
English to German
+ ...
I do not know Lindsay Lohan ... Nov 30, 2006

but what would be so hard about the job?
If you wish to translate the contents you will have some difficulties to understand what she wanted to say but then, if you are willing, I think it is not too hard.

Of course, if you wish to ridicule her and tell your readers how very very bad this English is, you have to be creative in the target language, but it should still be possible.

And if you can read and write very well it is always so much fun to see somebody who
... See more
but what would be so hard about the job?
If you wish to translate the contents you will have some difficulties to understand what she wanted to say but then, if you are willing, I think it is not too hard.

Of course, if you wish to ridicule her and tell your readers how very very bad this English is, you have to be creative in the target language, but it should still be possible.

And if you can read and write very well it is always so much fun to see somebody who cannot. And if this somebody is famous (which she seems to be, as far as I found on the Internet) it is even more fun to find something you can do better to put this person down.
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:17
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
adequite Nov 30, 2006

Be adequite? I wonder what she meant. I'd call her up and ask her for clarification. She did say she's just a phone call away

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
I get it Nov 30, 2006

I think she meant "Be at quiet". Or maybe not. Better to call her up.

Maxi Inge
Maxi Inge
German to English
+ ...
She is quoting Altman May 1, 2007

The writer is an actress, the person who passed away was a director, and the words are in quotation marks:

She writes "Be adequate." in capital letters, and in quotation marks. She is writing to the family. This had to be common advice that Altman gave, which would have meaning for the family. Following that hunch

http://hans.fugal.net/typo/articles/page/4
... See more
The writer is an actress, the person who passed away was a director, and the words are in quotation marks:

She writes "Be adequate." in capital letters, and in quotation marks. She is writing to the family. This had to be common advice that Altman gave, which would have meaning for the family. Following that hunch

http://hans.fugal.net/typo/articles/page/4

"That was adequate" is the catchphrase you'd have heard Monday on the set of "Prairie Home," shooting this month at the Fitzgerald Theater. It's a favorite way for director Robert Altman to indicate he's shot enough takes of a scene."

Here:
http://letters.salon.com/ent/col/fix/2006/12/01/fri/permalink/b7ee8858ef048631bd7b5802480e0400.html

We find a musician composing a song to Altman's honour, entitling it "Make it Adequate"

Why should a family, at the time of its grief "be adequate"? I know nothing about Mr. Altman, his attitudes professionally or in person. But I'm guessing that the adequacy he aspired to on the set was a professional adequacy. Not something super-human or even inspired, but well done and of quality. I would imagine that the family is being reminded of his philosophy and approach; they might be expected to derive some strength and "direction" from the familiar words -- something along the lines of "Your best will be enough. You do not need to be super-human at the time of your grief."

That's a lot of second-guessing on my part, which a translator should not do. What remains, however, is that the closing words are not insensitive or thoughtless drivel, but something of special meaning tothose close to the deceased. It was interesting to research this.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Be adequite": Now here is a challenge...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »