Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Most boring translation ever?
Thread poster: Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2007

Mine has been assembly and mounting instructions for a roof-rack.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:22
English to Polish
999 food items Mar 3, 2007

It was part of a scale manual, each food item (or a common dish) had a code... and each had to be translated.

Boring and making me very hungry

Anni

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My own Ph.D. Thesis... Mar 3, 2007

My own Ph.D. Thesis... starting the day after I had finished writing it !!!

Wow: that was torture... I can't imagine I would do the same today, almost 10 years later

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 08:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
user manual for online insurance filing Mar 3, 2007

An insurance company hired me to translate their manual to teach health care professionals how to file claims online. Very repetitive, stultifyingly boring.

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Accounting standards Mar 3, 2007

The IAS, boredom of all boredoms.

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tax Documents Mar 3, 2007

I really don't know why the agency in question asked me to translate tax documents since I am a literary, legal, social sciences, and non-technical medical translator, but they did, even though I have done a lot of work for them and they are well aware of my background. If I had had a concurrent assignment offer of most any other type, I would in all likelihood have opted for the other one.

Anyway, overall, I find financial documents to be the most boring.

[Edited at 2007-0
... See more
I really don't know why the agency in question asked me to translate tax documents since I am a literary, legal, social sciences, and non-technical medical translator, but they did, even though I have done a lot of work for them and they are well aware of my background. If I had had a concurrent assignment offer of most any other type, I would in all likelihood have opted for the other one.

Anyway, overall, I find financial documents to be the most boring.

[Edited at 2007-03-03 17:43]
Collapse

Ana Alves
Ana Alves
Local time: 12:22
English to Portuguese
staff manual Mar 3, 2007

A staff manual... geez, that was boring (thank God it didn't have that many pages).

Ana

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Painting & decorating schedules Mar 3, 2007

Talk about watching paint dry..... this was lots and lots of notes about quantities and areas painted, sanded, etc. Very repetitive and very boring.....

Nuria Navarro
Nuria Navarro  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
A philosophical text about contemporary art Mar 3, 2007

It was a real nightmare. Nothing made sense and the footnotes were longer than the text!!!!

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Civil Engineering Mar 3, 2007

It was a book about Civil Engineering. Really repetitive. I read ten pages (at least 4-5 times). It was really boring.

In those ten pages, they kept on digging a hole and filling it up again. I read only ten pages so I don't know if they explained why they were digging it and filling it again so many times... maybe it was on the eleventh page...

The book explained 'digging methodology' in great detail
... See more
It was a book about Civil Engineering. Really repetitive. I read ten pages (at least 4-5 times). It was really boring.

In those ten pages, they kept on digging a hole and filling it up again. I read only ten pages so I don't know if they explained why they were digging it and filling it again so many times... maybe it was on the eleventh page...

The book explained 'digging methodology' in great detail

But I interpreted for a civil engineering project and it was quite interesting.

So maybe it was that book

And no, I didn't translate it because if I can't read it once, I don't think I have the patience to translate it.

Ritu

p.s.: Just in case you are wondering why I didn't read the whole book... I tried. But everytime I read pages 1-10 and then felt tired and sleepy (not usual) And the next time I started, I started from page 1 again. I thought that maybe I'll understand it better this time...

[Edited at 2007-03-03 19:23]
Collapse

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:22
English to Romanian
User manuals for car alarm and burglar alarm systems... Mar 3, 2007

... not to mention fire alarm systems!

Katie01
Katie01  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Plaster board testing Mar 3, 2007

I did 30,000 words on how to test different types of plaster board. It went into amazing detail on the different tools required, and all the very different types of board and screed. I was so glad when it was complete and delivered!

Kathryn

bluemoon4ever
bluemoon4ever
English to Arabic
hi Mar 3, 2007

the most boring thing i've ever translated was a long text about digital printing on cloth.............was like hell.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How to install your own elevator Mar 3, 2007

Jon O wrote:
Mine has been assembly and mounting instructions for a roof-rack.

... done in PE transit from a PPT that was passed through TRADOS (thorouhgly, two or three times, included field phrases in Catalan) That was interesting from the S/M point of view.

The zombiest? Some instructions on a DingDong with TV from Guangchong. Can provide TM - a guaranteed solution for insomnia...

smo

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 07:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Birth certificates et al Mar 4, 2007

Diplomas, immigration documents and like... Don't do any more:-)

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most boring translation ever?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »