Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Your favourite quotations
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Mmm... Dec 12, 2002

... was there ever a line to begin with???

Nath

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
10 more .... Dec 12, 2002

Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.

In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra. (\"I ATTEST\", Au dixit)

Isn\'t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction

listen to weather forecasts and economists?

I\'m an idealist. I don\'t know where I\'m going, but I\'m on my way. (We´re two... )... See more
Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.

In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra. (\"I ATTEST\", Au dixit)

Isn\'t it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction

listen to weather forecasts and economists?

I\'m an idealist. I don\'t know where I\'m going, but I\'m on my way. (We´re two... )

After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought

tears to my eyes. He said, \'No hablo ingles.\'

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from

man.

No matter how rich you become, how famous or powerful, when you die the size of your funeral will still pretty much depend on the weather.

I know God won\'t give me more than I can handle. I just wish He didn\'t

trust me so much.

Have a Thursday, Au

Collapse

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
From Mafalda Dec 12, 2002

Maybe they are not as literate, but some of my favorite quotes come from the Argentine cartoon Mafalda, such as,

\"You must always follow the path of Good. Just think of the traffic on the highway of Evil\"

\"All men are equal... Equal to whom?\"

\"Newspapers invent half of the things they say. If you add to that that newspapers don\'t say half of the things that happen, it turns out that newspapers don\'t exist at all\"

... See more
Maybe they are not as literate, but some of my favorite quotes come from the Argentine cartoon Mafalda, such as,

\"You must always follow the path of Good. Just think of the traffic on the highway of Evil\"

\"All men are equal... Equal to whom?\"

\"Newspapers invent half of the things they say. If you add to that that newspapers don\'t say half of the things that happen, it turns out that newspapers don\'t exist at all\"

Collapse

English to French
+ ...
Eh oui Dan... Eh oui.... Dec 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-12 14:25, The Tautologist wrote:

...things look pretty much the same on both sides of it to tell the truth. except the colours are brighter on the mad side (and there are less pedants)...

l\'amour fou est l\'amour le plus pur

I agree on both counts, especially the last one:

L\'amour fou est l\'amour le plus pur
... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-12 14:25, The Tautologist wrote:

...things look pretty much the same on both sides of it to tell the truth. except the colours are brighter on the mad side (and there are less pedants)...

l\'amour fou est l\'amour le plus pur

I agree on both counts, especially the last one:

L\'amour fou est l\'amour le plus pur

(Wild unrestrained love is the purest love of all...)

Live life with passion!

Nath - The passionate one Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
10 more... Dec 13, 2002

Birthdays are good for you; the more you have, the longer you live.

Man is the Only Animal that Blushes. Or needs to.

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

I am in shape. Round is a shape.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Politicians and babies have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the sam
... See more
Birthdays are good for you; the more you have, the longer you live.

Man is the Only Animal that Blushes. Or needs to.

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

I am in shape. Round is a shape.

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Politicians and babies have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason. (What can I add considering I´m Argentine? ... )

Life not only begins at forty, it also begins to show.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age.

Since light travels faster than sound, isn\'t that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak? Great!!!!!!!!

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

hAvE a NiCe WeEkEnD !

Au
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:59
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Far from beating you, Aurora, but one more, only one... Dec 13, 2002

War doesn\'t determine who\'s right, just who\'s left.

Have a nice weekend, too.

Steffen (greatly enjoying your huge collection)

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bizarre? wise? funny? words.... Dec 13, 2002

Life is a sexually transmitted mortal disease. (true, isn´t it?)

I plan to live forever or die trying.

You don\'t get to choose how you\'re going to die, or when. You can only decide how you\'re going to live. Now. (Au dixit: FISH THE DAY!)

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.(yesssss...)

It doesn
... See more
Life is a sexually transmitted mortal disease. (true, isn´t it?)

I plan to live forever or die trying.

You don\'t get to choose how you\'re going to die, or when. You can only decide how you\'re going to live. Now. (Au dixit: FISH THE DAY!)

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.(yesssss...)

It doesn\'t depend on size, or a cow would catch a rabbit.

Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.

I wondered why someone didn\'t do something about the situation-- then I remembered that I am someone.

If this is coffee, bring me some tea. If this is tea, bring me some coffee.

It\'s a small world, but I wouldn\'t want to paint it.

Collapse

English to French
+ ...
Terrific quotes Au :-))) Dec 13, 2002

I always love to read everything you have to share... the more we share, the more we have!

I guess I can throw a few more in here also...

\"Men make counterfeit money; in many more cases, money makes counterfeit men.\"

- Sydney J. Harris

\"That which we acquire with the most difficulty we retain the longest; as those who have earned a fortune are usual
... See more
I always love to read everything you have to share... the more we share, the more we have!

I guess I can throw a few more in here also...

\"Men make counterfeit money; in many more cases, money makes counterfeit men.\"

- Sydney J. Harris

\"That which we acquire with the most difficulty we retain the longest; as those who have earned a fortune are usually more careful of it than those who have inherited one.\"

- Charles Caleb Colton

\"Whatever you do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.\"

- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

\"Don\'t part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.\"

- Mark Twain

\"The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.\"

- Charles Du Bois

\"We think too small. Like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well... if he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view.\"

- Mao Tse-Tung

\"Imagination lit every lamp in this country, produced every article we use, built every church, made every discovery, performed every act of kindness and progress, created more and better things for more people. It is the priceless ingredient for a better day.\"

- Henry J. Taylor

\"Pay not attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue erected to a critic.\"

- Jean Sibelius

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Nath (going back outside to soak up the wonderful sun rays...)
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
And.... Dec 13, 2002

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men\'s blood. Make big plans: aim high in hope and work.

D.H. Burnham

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

William James

How is it that little children are so intelligent and men so stupid? It must be education that does it.

Alexandre Dumas, fils

To receive everything, one must open one\'s hand and
... See more
Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men\'s blood. Make big plans: aim high in hope and work.

D.H. Burnham

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

William James

How is it that little children are so intelligent and men so stupid? It must be education that does it.

Alexandre Dumas, fils

To receive everything, one must open one\'s hand and give.

Taisen Deshimaru

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it.

Rabindranath Tagore

The children of Israel wandered in the desert for 40 years. Even in biblical times, men wouldn\'t ask for directions.

Photographers are the taxidermists of time.

A mother is someone who carries pictures where her money used to be.(yes.....buahhh!!!!.....)

If you don\'t laugh at yourself once in a while, others will.

Buy land, they\'re not making it anymore

Have a nice weekend (third time...ufff...)

Aurora

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-13 22:35 ]
Collapse

English to French
+ ...
A few more before I lay down to dream... Dec 14, 2002

From my bedside table:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Style is to see beauty in modesty

- Andrée Putman

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.

- Ursula K. LeGuin

Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty diamond minutes. No reward is of
... See more
From my bedside table:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Style is to see beauty in modesty

- Andrée Putman

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.

- Ursula K. LeGuin

Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty diamond minutes. No reward is offered, for they are gone forever... (Habits that steal precious moments... so true)

- Horace Mann

Poetry affords us a respite in which we may gather renewed strenght for the old struggle to adapt ourselves to reality.

- Robert Haven Schauffler

You gain strenght, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop and look fear in the face... You must do the thing you cannot do.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Only the heart knows how to find what is precious.

- Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Things do not change; we change

- Henry David Thoreau

There is only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle... (I choose the miracle )

- Albert Einstein

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.

- Anaïs Nin

And this last one, which has a very special meaning...

The first wealth is health

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

A long healthy life to all...

Nath

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-14 02:07 ]
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stanislaw J. Lec forever... Dec 14, 2002

I give you bitter pills in sugar coating. The pills are harmless: the poison is in the sugar.

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar\'s; and unto God the things that are God\'s; and unto human beings, what?

When smashing monuments, save the pedestals - they always come in handy.

When you jump for joy, beware that no-one moves the ground from beneath your feet.

The advertisement is the most trut
... See more

I give you bitter pills in sugar coating. The pills are harmless: the poison is in the sugar.

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar\'s; and unto God the things that are God\'s; and unto human beings, what?

When smashing monuments, save the pedestals - they always come in handy.

When you jump for joy, beware that no-one moves the ground from beneath your feet.

The advertisement is the most truthful part of a newspaper.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies. (and Argentine banks, ufff......)

At the beginning there was the Word - at the end just the Cliche.

Have a Saturday!

Au

Collapse

English to French
+ ...
Au... Dec 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-14 17:29, amh wrote:

...Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies. (and Argentine banks, ufff......)

Au

Au,

My heart goes out to you on that one... Ufff indeed.

I really hope that the situation will dramatically (and rapidly) improve for the people of Argentina.
<... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-14 17:29, amh wrote:

...Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies. (and Argentine banks, ufff......)

Au

Au,

My heart goes out to you on that one... Ufff indeed.

I really hope that the situation will dramatically (and rapidly) improve for the people of Argentina.

Nath ▲ Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Argentina..... Dec 14, 2002

Yes, Nathalie... we´re having the worst crisis ever. One that is forcing so many of our friends and relatives to look for new horizons with...a plane ticket in the hands.

As our ancestors did when coming from Spain \"pushed\" by the War.

This is not what one would technically call a war. But it hurts, it destroys it kills: our future, our families, our dreams.

However, in spite of it, my country is on its feet and will continue pea
... See more
Yes, Nathalie... we´re having the worst crisis ever. One that is forcing so many of our friends and relatives to look for new horizons with...a plane ticket in the hands.

As our ancestors did when coming from Spain \"pushed\" by the War.

This is not what one would technically call a war. But it hurts, it destroys it kills: our future, our families, our dreams.

However, in spite of it, my country is on its feet and will continue peacefully fighting for a deserved future.

Saludos desde Buenos Aires and...let´s go back to wisdom. One of the keys to changes.

Un beso, Au

What is robbing a bank compared with founding a bank?

Bertold Brecht

Collapse

English to French
+ ...
Out of this new darkness, there will come a light. Dec 14, 2002

The day will come Au...

\"A new life will come forth from the womb of darkness...

Every new situation we face in life sends us back into the womb of darkness. Like an embryo we must go through changes in order to become whole, healthy, and complete. We may feel alone, confused or frightened.

In reality, we are growing, developing, evolving. In the womb of newness, we learn what we can and cannot do, given the space we are in. Yet we
... See more
The day will come Au...

\"A new life will come forth from the womb of darkness...

Every new situation we face in life sends us back into the womb of darkness. Like an embryo we must go through changes in order to become whole, healthy, and complete. We may feel alone, confused or frightened.

In reality, we are growing, developing, evolving. In the womb of newness, we learn what we can and cannot do, given the space we are in. Yet we must continue to stretch and flex as we grow.

We come to acknowledge our limitations knowing they are temporary. There is eventually a way out. In the womb, we are nurtured, fed and protected by an unseen, unknown force.

We are watched over and prayed for by the ancestors. They know what it is we must do. The womb is the place where we are strenghtened and primed by the people we do not yet know. They are waiting for us to be born and share with them all the things we learned in the womb...

... out of this new darkness, there will come a light...\"

(This is an extract from one of my favorite books: \"Acts of faith - Daily meditation for people of color\" by Iyanla Vanzant)

Keep the faith, the people of Argentina will come through to live and enjoy their much deserved wonderful future.

Bises,

Nath

Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dan, are you still there? :-)))))) Dec 15, 2002

We exchange our time for objects in hopes of gaining something that will endure.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.

A scientist knows more and more about less and less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less and less about more and more till he knows nothing about everything.

A liberal is someone too poor to be a capitalist, and too rich to be a commun
... See more
We exchange our time for objects in hopes of gaining something that will endure.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.

A scientist knows more and more about less and less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less and less about more and more till he knows nothing about everything.

A liberal is someone too poor to be a capitalist, and too rich to be a communist.

Adam and Eve had an ideal marriage. He didn\'t have to hear about all the men she could have married, and she didn\'t have to hear about the way his mother cooked.

If you wait for tomorrow, tomorrow comes. If you don\'t wait for tomorrow, tomorrow comes.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

If the people will lead, the leaders will follow.

e-business, e-commerce, e-government, e-procurement, e-nough (?)

Saludos a todos, Aurora
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your favourite quotations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »