Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Most macabre translation you did
Thread poster: lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 01:35
Italian to English
Apr 21, 2007

Once I was pleaded to translate a text from Italian to English about parking lot serial killers in the USA for a uni paper! To make it short, I'll just quote Vincnt Price as my conclusion:
"Reality is WORSE than horror"

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:35
English to Dutch
+ ...
Weapons industry Apr 22, 2007

Just last week, I was asked to translate a marketing brochure for some navy ship coating, raving about how wonderfully strong this new material was, and how ballistic-resistant. And this from not the most democratic country in the world.
I kindly declined the job.

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 08:35
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Military articles Apr 22, 2007

They were not gory at all... But their sense of reality really frightened me. I know a former military man who is only "allowed to" read this kind of material and he believes that the dictatorship in Latin America was the best thing that ever happened! I still worked on those files, but the twisted truth really made me sick to my stomach.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:35
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Religious texts Apr 22, 2007

Being a militant agnostic it's very hard for me to accept or agree with many religious texts I have to translate.

Marsha Way  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
A former colleague's death report Apr 22, 2007

In my school they had talked about a colleague who was murdered in her home. This happened a few years before I started teaching there. One day I got a CSI report and the coroner's statement of this whole incident to translate (form an outsourcer outside of the school). I had never met the woman, but I felt for her and her family!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:35
English to German
+ ...
Autopsy tables and the works Apr 22, 2007

All kinds of forensic equipment for the military.

I learned more than I ever wanted to know.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Murder Apr 22, 2007

A statement by a man who described how the victim was deliberately killed by being run over twice by a car in a cemetery.

The cemetery is three blocks from my house.

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:35
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Car crashes Apr 22, 2007

When I worked for an insurance company. I had to translate the description of the police reports and sometimes the doctors reports as well.

There was never a death, but there were too many broken and exposed bones.

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Male hate speech Apr 23, 2007

I started, but I couldn't do it. I returned the text to the NGO, with a note saying that, as a man, I couldn't perform the work in good conscience.

I lost money there, but it felt good.

[Editado a las 2007-04-23 05:30]

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:35
Flemish to English
+ ...
Coroner's inquest. Apr 23, 2007

I had to luck to fulfill military obligations as a translator at the Belgian equivalent of JAG. The translation of a murder-case file from German into Dutch was a valuable experience, especially the coroner's inquest.

[Edited at 2007-04-23 13:11]

lingomania
Local time: 01:35
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 23, 2007

Interesting experiences posted here. I noticed that some colleagues here actually declined translations they felt were against their beliefs or moral factors and by doing so, lost some $$$ out of it. I feel that's good....sometimes you just CANNOT translate something in a perfectly 'impartial' way.

Rob

[Edited at 2007-04-23 08:48]

Maurizio Spagnuolo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Fatalities in industrial plants Apr 23, 2007

Docs and .ppt detailing worldwide fatalities in a multinational company (cranes, pallets, trucklifts, etc. involved).

There was also a fatality prevention section, though.

Maurizio

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Macabre no, but conscience-wrenching definitely Apr 23, 2007

One of my very first jobs was a pile (literally) of job descriptions written out by employees of a newspaper about to be taken over by a foreign publisher.
The Polish manager in the paper giving me the job told me to "abridge that stuff as I see fit because most of it is pointless crap."

I mumbled something and on the way home I realized that those scraps of paper are filled with things written by people fighting for their lives to keep their jobs.

I translated every word, editing only slightly if something was unclear in the source text.

The newspaper only lasted a few years after that anyway...
but the job wasn't a very pleasant experience.

Pawel Skalinski

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
A Machine for Splitting Human Skin Apr 23, 2007

When we first opened the document, we were quite taken aback - a tool for cannibals? What was our client up to?

Turned out it was a machine to be used in preparation for skin transplantations, i.e. a medical thing.

B

Yolanda Bello  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
On prostitution and its legalization Apr 23, 2007

I am translating as a volunteer texts dealing with women and gender issues. The first one I translated was a testimony of a former prostitute, the next one will be on the reason why prostitution should not be legalized. I admit something inside me dies when I read and translate these texts.

[Edited at 2007-04-23 23:12]

[Edited at 2007-04-23 23:13]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most macabre translation you did

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs