Mobile menu

Off topic: The Interpreter directed by Sydney Pollack
Thread poster: lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 05:00
Italian to English
May 2, 2007

I was just reading an article on Sydney Pollack's new movie "The Interpreter", but I don't know if it's out yet. If anyone has seen it, I would like to know your comments and thoughts on it. The article says Pollack is very close to Hitchcock techniques in the making of the movie. Thank you.

Robert

Direct link Reply with quote

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:00
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Movie is not new May 2, 2007

It had been released back in 2005 according to http://www.infilm.com.au/reviews/interpreter.htm and numerous other sources.

Steffen

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
It's very average May 2, 2007

Wasn't worth watching even on the big screen.
It's just a drama which is not well-made. It certainly tells you nothing about an interpreter's job.

Jim Tucker  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Anthony Lane's review in the New Yorker May 2, 2007

Lane is one of the very best film critics around, in my opinion, and he pretty much panned the film when it came out. Have a look:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/04/25/050425crci_cinema

JT

Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Can't even remember... May 2, 2007

...exactly what it is about...
I mean: all the talking was made because Pollack was allowed inside the UNO premises, but for the rest, it is just one of the well-built thrillers (I on't think it is not well-made: it is not excellent, but it is nice to see if you don't expect too much from a film).
As for the interpreter role, except from the first, say 5 to 10 minutes, the rest tells you nothing about an interpreter's life...

Just my opinion though

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I didn't like it at all. May 2, 2007

Though I like the actors (Nocole Kidman and Sean Penn) a lot. The film is nothing special. It is not about the profession of an interpreter, but just a political story. In the press kit the write, that every UNO interpreter has to have at least three working languages, what it is not true. And the director thinks, that besides the three languages you should play some music instrument and look like Nicole Kidman....)

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:00
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree May 2, 2007

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Wasn't worth watching even on the big screen.
It's just a drama which is not well-made. It certainly tells you nothing about an interpreter's job.

Yes, indeed, it is not related with the topics, issues and problems faced by us, some of which are permanently explained in ProZ.

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
+ ...
Nicole Kidman up to usual high standard May 2, 2007

We watch any new Nicole Kidman movie and enjoyed this one when it came out about two years ago, although it was pretty violent. If you know anything about African politics (I have spent six years in two African countries) you will probably find it is a pretty accurate reflexion of the racial situation. It is fast-moving and exciting. Sean Penn is also excellent.

When all is said and done, though, you can't make a moral judgment about art.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Truly, Madly, Deeply May 3, 2007

lingomania wrote:

I was just reading an article on Sydney Pollack's new movie "The Interpreter", but I don't know if it's out yet. If anyone has seen it, I would like to know your comments and thoughts on it. The article says Pollack is very close to Hitchcock techniques in the making of the movie. Thank you.

Robert

I can think of another (excellent) film from several years ago in which the leading character is an in-house translator working in a small agency in London - Anthony Minghella's "Truly, Madly, Deeply", starring Juliet Stevenson and introducing the marvellous Alan Rickman - again, the film tells us little about the work of a translator, but at least she's presented as an interesting character.
Anyone know of any others about the lives of translators / interpreters?
Regards,
Jenny.

lingomania
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Funny feeling May 6, 2007

Steffen Walter wrote:

It had been released back in 2005 according to http://www.infilm.com.au/reviews/interpreter.htm and numerous other sources.

Steffen

Thank you. I had the funny feeling this movie was already out, but the article was not very clear about the release date.

lingomania
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 6, 2007

Thank you for your replies. Is it only me or is it the new fad in movieland to use the words "interpreter" or "translator" in movie titles?

Rob

Tanja Kreutz  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Charade with Audrey Hepburn May 10, 2007

In the film classic Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn she plays an interpreter working for the UN. Some might remember that one...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Interpreter directed by Sydney Pollack

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs