https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/7516-but_you%5Cre_a_translator_aren%5Ct_you_the_strange_things_clients_ask_us_to_do.html

Off topic: But you\'re a translator, aren\'t you? (the strange things clients ask us to do)
Thread poster: Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:05
Member (2002)
Russian to English
Jan 7, 2003

Just got another request to translate some magazine articles from Czech (I work from Russian to English!). Polish and Czech are actually quite frequent requests, but I\'ve been handed articles in French and Spanish as well, followed by a wide-eyed \"but you\'re a translator, aren\'t you?\"

And I\'m not even going to talk about being asked to help fake legal documents in Ukranian.

I know I\'m not the only person who encounters bizarre job propos
... See more
Just got another request to translate some magazine articles from Czech (I work from Russian to English!). Polish and Czech are actually quite frequent requests, but I\'ve been handed articles in French and Spanish as well, followed by a wide-eyed \"but you\'re a translator, aren\'t you?\"

And I\'m not even going to talk about being asked to help fake legal documents in Ukranian.

I know I\'m not the only person who encounters bizarre job propositions based on the assumption that a translator is like Santa Claus-omniscient and omnipotent. Anything you want to air?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

But you\'re a translator, aren\'t you? (the strange things clients ask us to do)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »