Mobile menu

Off topic: tight deadlines - a nightmare! how does your work affect your dreams?
Thread poster: Leena vom Hofe

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:50
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 7, 2007

Hello there...

I have just got up to finish a translation, I will have to deliver on monday. So normally this is nothing to haunt me in my sleep, but this morning I had a dream... It wasn't exactly what you'd call a nightmare (as I had to laugh out loud when I awoke), but something quite near a nightmare...

I seemed to have caught some virus, was sick and did'nt feel well. Somebody told me I was ill with some very, very contagious virus.
And now guess what my first thought was about! No, nothing in the kind of: Oh my... will I ever be well again? Or: oh... I hope I have not given it to my husband... or something like this...no!

My first thought was: Oh no... and I will have to deliver those contaminated files by monday!!!

As if my "antivirus" would have let THAT pass...

Although this was a kind of fun-nightmare, I imagine there might be dreams worse than mine... So I thought I might open a new discussion on the lighter (or here: harder?) side of translation: How does your work affect your sleep and your dreams?

I send you wonderful dreams wherever you are...Don't work too much, ok?

[Edited at 2007-07-07 12:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Something similar Jul 7, 2007

When I am working on a tight deadline, I start dreaming about words that I need to check. Once I dreamed that I handed in the work and then realised I had used the wrong translation. This was so vivid that when I got up to finish the actual work, I actually checked my file for this word. A real nightmare!

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
Nightmare... Jul 7, 2007

yes, I oftern dream of working all night, just to wake up an realise that it was just a dream and that all the hard work done was a waste of time...

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Deja vu? Jul 7, 2007

I dreamt that I had seen this before: http://www.proz.com/topic/62046?start=0&float=, except that it was more a question of "How do your dreams affect your work?"

Chris

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Figures wake me up Jul 7, 2007

More than translations, doubts or deadlines, there's one thing that really wakes me up, at any time. That can be at 2 or 3 o'clock and I start preparing invoices, sending reminders of late payment for 3 or 4 hours, then I can sleep again.

Claudia

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My dreams don't change, but... Jul 7, 2007

When I'm in the middle of a heavy workload, when I go to bed and close my eyes, before I fall asleep I see (behind my closed eyelids) a computer screen with words marching across it!

Amy

Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Terminology Nightmares Jul 8, 2007

I attempt to help out a lot of other translators on other websites with their terminology questions. I have nightmares about terms which seem almost impossible to translate, as if I never will find the most accurate translation. After all that pressure that I put on myself in my dream, I always seem to be able to come to a conclusion about the translation, and then my sleep becomes peaceful once again.

I often dream that I'm scrolling down page after page of my translation work as I'm making my revisions.

My sleep is mostly disrupted, however, when I know I have set my alarm for only 5 hours from bedtime because I have a 120 page project to start and want to get a headstart on it, as early as possible. I always have a hard time getting to sleep on such nights and the next day I could have been more refreshed and more productive. The first day of a big project is usually the hardest anyway because you realize that it's all still ahead of you.

[Edited at 2007-07-08 01:44]

[Edited at 2007-07-08 01:46]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
Italian to English
+ ...
stress nightmares Jul 9, 2007

When I'm under pressure I have a kind of recurring dream that I've forgotten to do some job, or that I've done it but forgotten to send it. It's almost like a subconscious dream underlying whatever I'm *really* dreaming about, because I can never remember the details (I have no idea if it's the same dream every time or variations on the same theme). But when I wake up I still have this sensation of having forgotten to do something, and even when I realise it was "that dream" again I still have a kind of low-level anxiety until my deadlines calm down again.

It's quite bizzare - reading this thread made me realise I'd actually dreamed this again at some point this weekend! I'd forgotten...

Nicole Martin
German to English
Only when I'm stressed out Jul 9, 2007

When I worked as a project manager, I was under more stress and had to deal with deadlines every day, so I dreamed about work much more. My dreams usually involved fixing one problem only to have another pop up in its place, making corrections and then having them undo themselves, delivering a huge project and realizing it was all wrong...basically, all those fears and frustrations that are in the back of your mind when you're awake!

Now my job is a lot less stressful and I'm usually not faced with tight deadlines. But I can tell when I'm getting stressed out because I start having bad dreams about work again. Recently I had a huge project and not much time to work on it. So the night before I started this project, I dreamed that I went into work, finished the whole thing in just a couple of hours, and then relaxed the rest of the day...only to find out I hadn't really finished the project and I was now a day behind. That was some good motivation to work extra hard the next day so my dream didn't come true!

Alec Battles
Arabic to English
+ ...
Put these valuable dreams online Mar 4, 2008

Wow, these are some interesting dreams. It would be neat to see them posted on www.sawlogs.net, because there's searching/matching functions there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tight deadlines - a nightmare! how does your work affect your dreams?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs