Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: The most infuriating word to translate from your source language(s)
Thread poster: Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2007

Hi,

I'm sure each of us have certain words that crop up time and again while we're translating that really make us want to tear our hair out.

You know, those words that "say it all so well" and seem to cover every conceivable situation in the source language but can't be rendered quite as neatly in the target language.

Thought it might be a nice distraction to list one for each of our source languages and perhaps briefly explain what makes them so infuriat
... See more
Hi,

I'm sure each of us have certain words that crop up time and again while we're translating that really make us want to tear our hair out.

You know, those words that "say it all so well" and seem to cover every conceivable situation in the source language but can't be rendered quite as neatly in the target language.

Thought it might be a nice distraction to list one for each of our source languages and perhaps briefly explain what makes them so infuriating.

Who knows, colleagues working in the same/related language pair(s) might have already found brilliant solutions and care to share them.

I've got a few in Dutch and Portuguese but to keep the thread going, it's perhaps best to choose one for each source language - so I'm first going to consider for a while which one to choose for each language.

Just so it's clear - not looking for the so-called "untranslatables" but rather examples that we are confronted with on a daily basis - something a colleague will look at and say "I know what s/he means - I struggle with that one every time!"

Update: Still narrowing down the list here. Tina has already mentioned a couple of candidates on the Dutch list

[Edited at 2007-07-26 07:36]
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 09:31
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I know it.... Jul 25, 2007

The most infuriating English term is "device"
Says it exactly in English, not so in Norwegian...
Just look it up in the dictionary
Maybe medical devices are especially infuriating

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mamma mia Jul 26, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Hi,

[Edited at 2007-07-25 23:32]

Yes:

"make-before-break"

it's a term used in the electricity field.

"malais"
It's INDISPOSICIÓN, MALESTAR in Spanish if the source is English but "malay, from Malasia" if it's French . That makes me laugh when translating a tourism brochure.

I need a Cuban cigar to relax.

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:31
English to Latvian
the first that came into my mind... Jul 26, 2007

...was "performance". Oh, it is so colourful and brilliant expression in English (e.g. "the new car's performance is outstanding...", "monitor's visual performance" etc.), but each of the equivalents in Latvian sounds so terribly clumsy I become absolutely desperate every time I have to translate it... So I have to figure out how to say it a bit differently without translating the "performance" directly.

Oh, and there's another one: the "experience" in particular context, for exampl
... See more
...was "performance". Oh, it is so colourful and brilliant expression in English (e.g. "the new car's performance is outstanding...", "monitor's visual performance" etc.), but each of the equivalents in Latvian sounds so terribly clumsy I become absolutely desperate every time I have to translate it... So I have to figure out how to say it a bit differently without translating the "performance" directly.

Oh, and there's another one: the "experience" in particular context, for example, "unparallel visual and audio experience", "HD projector for the best multimedia experience" etc. If I translated the "experience" directly, it would sound reeaallly ridiculous:)
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
At least two Dutch buzz words Jul 26, 2007

I can think of at least two Dutch buzz words that are 'in' nowadays:

1) kader - 'in het kader van', and
2) invulling - 'invulling geven aan'

Both of these give me a headache every time I encounter them, as it can be very hard to find an equivalent in English. To make matters worse, it depends on the context.

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
performance Jul 26, 2007

is another headache-inducer, that's right.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:31
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
constipado Jul 26, 2007

In Spanish: suffering from a cold.
In English & French (constipated, constipé) unable to defecate

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Issue Jul 26, 2007

I never know how to translate it in French, as it depends so much on context! It's a multi-meaning word that English writers seems to love so much! (like 'experience' and 'performance' as well)

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:31
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Challenging Jul 26, 2007

It's always a real challenge to translate this English word into Russian.

Elena Sánchez-Pinto Hodgson
Elena Sánchez-Pinto Hodgson  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish