Off topic: Who's the patron saint of translators?
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 07:59
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 26, 2007

sticking for the moment to the Iudeo-Christian side, it could be:

o Moses - for getting the source text from the Customer (remember? the tables? Mt Sinai?) and passing it down the pipe line. On the second thought he's better positioned for the patron saint of the agencies.

o St Hieronim - cant pass him unmentioned

o St Kyril and Method - my personal favorites

o Murphy - he specialized in screwing up in a different field, but his laws - immut
... See more
sticking for the moment to the Iudeo-Christian side, it could be:

o Moses - for getting the source text from the Customer (remember? the tables? Mt Sinai?) and passing it down the pipe line. On the second thought he's better positioned for the patron saint of the agencies.

o St Hieronim - cant pass him unmentioned

o St Kyril and Method - my personal favorites

o Murphy - he specialized in screwing up in a different field, but his laws - immutable as they are - rule supreme in our case

o Judas Iscariot - why not? He did not know, what he was getting himself into, and on the top of it he was underpaid - sounds familiar?

About non-European patrons, I am on a soft ground, but never the less:

o Ganesh - good-natured, and a skin of an elephant...

o Dalai Lama #14 - he speaks so many languages, and so many people seem to have no problem understanding him

o Homer Simpson - He may have no idea about translating, but hey, that's one more reason to pray to him - just look at all the meek and clueless, trying to get into the promised translation land. They need somebody to look up to.
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
LOL Jul 26, 2007

Thanks Vito that made my day

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
From India... Jul 27, 2007

Well, as you mentioned Ganesha... here's more information

Ganesha: God of Wisdom. He was the translator/ interpreter of Mahabharata, given that Ved Vyas was the one who dictated/ wrote the story... Maybe he was a literary
... See more
Well, as you mentioned Ganesha... here's more information

Ganesha: God of Wisdom. He was the translator/ interpreter of Mahabharata, given that Ved Vyas was the one who dictated/ wrote the story... Maybe he was a literary translator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040613/spectrum/book7.htm

Saraswati: Goddess of learning/ knowledge and all arts. She is the most qualified as she can actually put words in people's mouth... play with words (even in their minds). I love how by a simple play of words she changed the blessings of Kumbhakarna... from Indrasana (throne of Indra, the lord of heaven) to Nidrasana (bed)

http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_gods_and_goddesses/saraswati.htm

Maybe there are others... and would love to hear about them.

P.S.: Just a thought... wish we could actually do what Saraswati did... with those who post jobs

Just an example:
In the mind of Job poster: 0.04 USD
He types on screen: 0.40 Euros

How nice!

[Edited at 2007-07-27 06:01]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: User's request - http://www.proz.com/ticket/310325
Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
English to French
+ ...
Judas Iscariot Jul 27, 2007

In italian we say : traduttore traditore (literally translator traitor) so I guess Judas will be appropriate!

Luis Antonio de Larrauri
Luis Antonio de Larrauri  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Humor Jul 27, 2007

Ha, ha,

Good point, Elisabetta

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
St. Jerome (Hieronim) Jul 27, 2007

Anyway I would go for St. Jerome. Reportedly he did the whole Bible job overnight - I wonder if he was paid extra for rush job. He must have used CAT-s, impossible to do it without, but with all this repetitions and fuzzy matches... Certainly, a CAT tool (whatever it was at that time - preTrados or preWordfast) helped a lot. And he made some mistakes (no wonder - didn't have time for proofreading) - the best known is Moses with horns, sculptured later by Michelangelo - what would he have instead... See more
Anyway I would go for St. Jerome. Reportedly he did the whole Bible job overnight - I wonder if he was paid extra for rush job. He must have used CAT-s, impossible to do it without, but with all this repetitions and fuzzy matches... Certainly, a CAT tool (whatever it was at that time - preTrados or preWordfast) helped a lot. And he made some mistakes (no wonder - didn't have time for proofreading) - the best known is Moses with horns, sculptured later by Michelangelo - what would he have instead of horns if Michealangeo understood "horny" less literally? I have read in Terry Pratchet that "virgin" was also mistranslated - the original meaning was "a young woman". Well, nobody is perfect, but taking into account the time constraints, I think he still did a good job.Collapse

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 06:59
The 72 scholars... Jul 27, 2007

The 72 guys who translated the Ancient Testament to koine Greek would also deserve some recognition. Apparently, they were precluded in separate chambers and allowed no communication among them, yet after 72 days they came up with identical versions of the text. They must have had an exceptionally dedicated project manager who provided them with extensive glossaries and a very good TM...

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Exactly my reason to include him Jul 27, 2007

Ganesha: God of Wisdom. He was the translator/ interpreter of Mahabharata, given that Ved Vyas was the one who dictated/ wrote the story...

I have Peter Brooks film to study who's who in Mahabharata. And there you just cant miss Ganesha.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Hm ... let's not shoot too high Jul 27, 2007

Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans?
Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? ....—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!"
12 - Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?"

What I know from Acta, is that they were filled with Holy Ghost (some bystanders had a different, rather insulting, opinion, see verse 13).

However, to propose the God himself for a patron ... No, that would go decidedly too far. Especially so, as it is - they say - the same God that mixed our tongues in the first place.

In other words, that would make it a decidedly mixed blessing.

Regards and my and his peace be with you

[Edited at 2007-07-27 19:28]

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 00:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Let's check with pagans Jul 27, 2007

Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli, the Lord of the Dawn.

Might as well be a patron of interpreters - a god with such name should be the understanding one and help us to pronounce unexpected foreign proper names correctly at all times:-)

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 01:59
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
How about all the Old Testament prophets Jul 27, 2007

who consistently tried to say no to the interpreting jobs offered by God ("go tell the people what I said they should do"), and found themselves punished by Him for insubordination, doing the job anyway, and often getting paid in abuse by the community...

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
(sigh) Jul 27, 2007

Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli, the Lord of the Dawn.

You have not spell-checked this: Tlahuizcalpantecutli. I say, this will not end well...

Irene's cat,where's Irene's CAT tools? (a nice alliteration, btw)

You ate them? well...

[Edited at 2007-07-27 20:42]

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 00:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Begging forgiveness already:-) Jul 27, 2007

Not me, oh T-Almighty)

http://www.crystalinks.com/aztecgods.html

Just last week Oscar slept next to my CATs...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who's the patron saint of translators?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »