Off topic: Time for a break? Try crosswords!
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:35
Czech to German
+ ...
Sep 18, 2007

On http://wordnavigator.com/ you'll find the solution to (well, almost) any crossword and word puzzle:

Use question marks for missing letters (one "?" - one letter):
cap?tal or cap??a?

Use an asterisk for ANY number of unknown letters:
navigat* or *zzle or cr*word

Exclude words containing the letters that follow a hyphen (dash):
p??zle -wdxu

... See more
On http://wordnavigator.com/ you'll find the solution to (well, almost) any crossword and word puzzle:

Use question marks for missing letters (one "?" - one letter):
cap?tal or cap??a?

Use an asterisk for ANY number of unknown letters:
navigat* or *zzle or cr*word

Exclude words containing the letters that follow a hyphen (dash):
p??zle -wdxu

Also in German (not bad) and Russian (have not tested that one!)

Have fun!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Great idea! Sep 18, 2007

I love doing crosswords, and find them really helpful for widening my horizons in French (my second language).

I wonder if anyone knows a source of on-line or downloadable crosswords (just as there are on-line jigsaw puzzles)?

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Newspaper Web sites Sep 18, 2007

Tony M wrote:

I love doing crosswords, and find them really helpful for widening my horizons in French (my second language).

I wonder if anyone knows a source of on-line or downloadable crosswords (just as there are on-line jigsaw puzzles)?

These will be in American English only, but many U.S. newspaper Web sites have daily crosswords. Even Indianapolis Star.

AARP says it has crosswords on its site, but I haven't checked it out.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:35
Spanish
+ ...
Internet killed the crossword star--Hope not. Sep 18, 2007

Disclaimer: Rant triggered off by the word crossword

When I lived in Peru, I was fervent devotee (< that's actually an understatement) of a type of crossword called the Geniograma. The main difference between the Geniograma and the other kinds of crosswords is that, the squares didn't have numbers in them, the actual clues were in them, and also, they could get huge. Several versions of the Geniogramas are published se
... See more
Disclaimer: Rant triggered off by the word crossword

When I lived in Peru, I was fervent devotee (< that's actually an understatement) of a type of crossword called the Geniograma. The main difference between the Geniograma and the other kinds of crosswords is that, the squares didn't have numbers in them, the actual clues were in them, and also, they could get huge. Several versions of the Geniogramas are published several times a week in the oldest and most popular newspaper in the country, some of them are: the 'Difficult Geniograma' (self-explanatory, it is really difficult), the Giant Geniograma and the mother of all Geniogramas, the Super-Giant Geniograma, this was the monstrous Geniograma--and my favorite, published once a month, it fills two full-sized pages of the large format newspaper.

The Geniograma in Peru has a real cult status. After filling all the squares, each Geniograma can be submitted in order to win "great" prizes, usually encyclopedias or money. But it's not the price what drives people to spend several hours a week, each week, filling in those squares.

I remember carrying my Geniogramas around just in case I might run across the solution to "Novel inspired by Lake Geneva" or something like that, very geeky I know; going to different libraries in search of the solutions, the encyclopedias I had at home were completely worn out, was something I've done many times. When I got into college, that was a different story, I finally had friends that were as fond of Geniogramas as I was, so each week we used to draw out our Geniogramas to compare them. I used to live near a subsidiary of the newspaper where people could submit their entries. The day of the deadline, the place was always packed with all kinds of people trying to find the solutions of last few empty squares, there were old people, young people, the house-wife, the yuppie that had just parked his brand new convertible, the laborer, rich people, poor people, all helping each other with their folded-and-unfolded-ad-infinitum Geniogramas that looked just as mine, it was more than nice.

I don't know, maybe in my mind the Geniogramas are linked to other experiences and memories and that's why I have such a romanticized view of those crosswords, but I can't imagine using the Internet in order to solve them. That's a big no-no.

The Geniograma

[Edited at 2007-09-18 16:35]
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
But does it do cryptic crosswords? Sep 18, 2007

Charlotte Blank wrote:

Have fun!

Example: "Arrant lots confused by mixed lure?" (14 letters - 2 words)

And that is an easy one.

Go for it!
Chris

[Edited at 2007-09-18 21:21]

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Take a break away from the screen, too Sep 19, 2007

Honestly, I fall into the same pit myself sometimes... I just do SuDukos instead.

Anyway, the best thing, of course, is to take a break away from the screen, stretch you limbs, get the blood rolling again, exercise your arms, hands, shoulders, neck, legs, feet, eyes, etc. Computer work poses a lot of serious health risks.

I know it's a bit of a bore, but please consider my point

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
Great site Sep 19, 2007

Tony M wrote:

Hi Tony,

Try this site - it has lots of links to online crosswords, all in English though.

http://www.crossword-puzzles.co.uk/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time for a break? Try crosswords!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »