Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 6, 2007

Please don't get fooled by rogues like this. I just received as well a translation offer from the same person:

Hi,

We have an assignment/project which needs translation From English to Latin American Spanish. Kindly let me know your availability for this job. We have short time to complete this work. Kindly come back soon and let me know your interest in taking up this job as well as your best rates.

Payment terms:

... See more
Please don't get fooled by rogues like this. I just received as well a translation offer from the same person:

Hi,

We have an assignment/project which needs translation From English to Latin American Spanish. Kindly let me know your availability for this job. We have short time to complete this work. Kindly come back soon and let me know your interest in taking up this job as well as your best rates.

Payment terms:

After receiving the invoice with in 20 days we will send you the payment by paypal or money transfer or Email transfer.

We look forward to have a long term relation with you.

Regards,

Mr. Thomson

Project Management

SLS Translation Services.

65 Laurel Lane, Buckinghamshire , TX 78748

Tel. + fax: 0044 (0)1238 490453

Website is under construction

Email: [email protected]
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:33
English to Hungarian
+ ...
See another forum from yesterday Nov 6, 2007

http://www.proz.com/topic/88535
Attila

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
I wonder... Nov 6, 2007

...if he's related to the detectives Thomson and Thompson in The Adventures of Tintin?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
What's the intention?` Nov 6, 2007

Dear colleagues,

after having read this thread and the one referred to, I am wondering: what exactly is this guy trying to do? What's the intention behind acting as a fake agency?
Call me naive, but I don't grasp the concept.

Kind regards,
Erik

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Get a job done for free Nov 6, 2007

efreitag wrote:
after having read this thread and the one referred to, I am wondering: what exactly is this guy trying to do? What's the intention behind acting as a fake agency?

I think that somebody is trying to get a job done for free. What he does/they do is send you a translation job, which you then complete and return by the delivery date. When it comes to payment he no longer responds to your e-mails or reminders, and since you don't have his real contact data you cannot chase him for payment. And he is still able to deliver the job and have his client pay for it.

Sonja

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:33
Swedish to English
+ ...
Or maybe a combination with the age old Nigerian interpretation scam Nov 6, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

efreitag wrote:

I think that somebody is trying to get a job done for free. What he does/they do is send you a translation job, which you then complete and return by the delivery date. When it comes to payment he no longer responds to your e-mails or reminders, and since you don't have his real contact data you cannot chase him for payment. And he is still able to deliver the job and have his client pay for it.

Sonja

1. Set up a rudimentary website and get a gullible company to commission a translation.
2. Outsource to a freelance translator (less astute than Pavle and Elias).
3. Receive translation from said translator.
4. Forward to client and get paid.
5. Pay translator - by check and somehow managing to "overpay".
6. Ask translator to reimburse excess payment (preferrably by a fast payment method).
7. Translator receives message from their bank saying check has been refused.

THE END

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation tests Nov 6, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

efreitag wrote:

Sonja

Yes, they tend to ask several translation tests and then they have their job done

Of course, don't wait to receive a 50 words translation test from them. I also received that e-mail.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Absolutely Nov 6, 2007

Attila Piróth wrote:

http://www.proz.com/topic/88535
Attila

Another "worm in the works." If you have time. send this bozo a similar reply to the one that Pavle did.

Best,
Chris

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:03
German to English
Mr. Thomson.... Nov 7, 2007

Elías Sauza wrote:

Regards,

Mr. Thomson

Project Management

SLS Translation Services.

65 Laurel Lane, Buckinghamshire , TX 78748

Tel. + fax: 0044 (0)1238 490453

Website is under construction

Email: [email protected]

.....I got one from him too, and just ignored it!

Best regards,
Niraja

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:33
Spanish
+ ...
Emails Nov 7, 2007

Just remembered a thread about email addresses and particularly this post: http://www.proz.com/post/706582#706582

PB Trans
PB Trans

French to English
+ ...
Acronym Nov 7, 2007

SLS Translation Services: I wonder what the acronym stands for? Steal Lie Scam??

Maria Elena Martinez
Maria Elena Martinez  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
+ ...
same, just a few minutes ago Nov 9, 2007

I've just received the same email...he/she is obviously searching for more potential victims...

Albert Stufkens
Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Advance payment Nov 10, 2007

Sweetly ask for advance payment.

Maria Martinez wrote:

I've just received the same email...he/she is obviously searching for more potential victims...

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a bad idea Nov 10, 2007

Albert Stufkens wrote:

Sweetly ask for advance payment.

This rogue readily accepted "my rates" of 0.18 USD per source word. I should have asked for that advance payment...

[Edited at 2007-11-10 18:43]

LAURA TAPIA ESCOBAR
LAURA TAPIA ESCOBAR  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
hehe maybe... Nov 28, 2007

Yes! maybe that why I havent gotten ANY job at all from this web site

I dont believe in 3 pages tests just to see if you qualify...
I dont think how you are going to have a 3 pages test and then be paid less than .10 a word,
After some horrible experiences of work done (even during sacred holiday time) and then no pay at all!! 30 day payments, just too much!

I completely agree with those who said this person whoever that is just gets the work done for free!!
... See more
Yes! maybe that why I havent gotten ANY job at all from this web site

I dont believe in 3 pages tests just to see if you qualify...
I dont think how you are going to have a 3 pages test and then be paid less than .10 a word,
After some horrible experiences of work done (even during sacred holiday time) and then no pay at all!! 30 day payments, just too much!

I completely agree with those who said this person whoever that is just gets the work done for free!!

I just dont believe this is true and I dont find this worth considering.
I would leave this for those students who are trying to get experience and that would be all!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fake agency, following thread http://www.proz.com/topic/88535

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »