Off topic: russian spookies
Thread poster: zmejka
zmejka
zmejka  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2003

(this will only be funny for those of you guys who speak russian, sorry! )

the other night, we were watching \'harry potter and the chamber of secrets\' on a \'тряпичная копия\' - it\'s when someone records the film on a camera in a movie theatre and then gets it translated and sold. such stuff is popular over here because it\'s the only way to get to see a movie before it appears on the city\'s big screens - if y
... See more
(this will only be funny for those of you guys who speak russian, sorry! )

the other night, we were watching \'harry potter and the chamber of secrets\' on a \'тряпичная копия\' - it\'s when someone records the film on a camera in a movie theatre and then gets it translated and sold. such stuff is popular over here because it\'s the only way to get to see a movie before it appears on the city\'s big screens - if you were ever REALLY anxious to see a film, you\'ll understand this )).

the translation was monstrous, of course. it was almost impossible to understand what the story was all about! but you could hear the original english soundtrack behind the translation, so it was more or less bearable. after the first 10-15 minutes of the film i kind of got used to ignoring the russian voice behind the screen.

if you\'ve seen the movie or read the book, you probably remember the moment when harry potter starts to hear snake voices. and in the movie, he says: \"...did you hear that?.. it\'s... spooky\".

...the translation was \"слышал? это СПУКИ.\"

i think that\'s exactly what i\'m going to call translation mess-ups from now on.
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 23:58
German to English
+ ...
So the people who create these monstrous mess-ups.... Mar 11, 2003

So the people who create these monstrous mess-ups would be spookniks (forgive the transliteration....)

Alison

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:58
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe Harry was listening to this guy... Mar 11, 2003

ÄÈÄÆÅÉ ÑÏÓÊÈ Â ÌÎÑÊÂÅ

Äèäæåé Ñïóêè (ïîëíîå èìÿ - DJ Spooky That Subliminal Kid) – äèäæåé íåîáû÷íûé. Ïîìèìî ñâåäåíèÿ ïëàñòèíîê, îí çàíèìàåòñÿ è èíûìè âåùàìè. (passage omitted)

Ìîñêâó Ñïóêè ïðèåçæàåò èìåííî ÷òî â êà÷åñòâå èíòåëëåêòóàëà – ñ ëåêöèÿìè è ìàñòåð-êëàññàìè, ïðèóðî÷åííûìè ê Í
... See more
ÄÈÄÆÅÉ ÑÏÓÊÈ Â ÌÎÑÊÂÅ

Äèäæåé Ñïóêè (ïîëíîå èìÿ - DJ Spooky That Subliminal Kid) – äèäæåé íåîáû÷íûé. Ïîìèìî ñâåäåíèÿ ïëàñòèíîê, îí çàíèìàåòñÿ è èíûìè âåùàìè. (passage omitted)

Ìîñêâó Ñïóêè ïðèåçæàåò èìåííî ÷òî â êà÷åñòâå èíòåëëåêòóàëà – ñ ëåêöèÿìè è ìàñòåð-êëàññàìè, ïðèóðî÷åííûìè ê Íåäåëå Ýíäè Óîðõîëà â Ìîñêâå.

DJ SPOOKY IN MOSCOW

DJ Spooky (full name DJ Spooky That Subliminal Kid) is an unusual DJ. He has other interests beside records. (passage omitted)

Spooky is coming to Moscow in his role as an intellectual - to give lectures and master classes in connection with the Andy Warhol Week in Moscow.

(from online magazine km.ru)

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-12 17:43]
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
:-) Mar 11, 2003

That\'s great. Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
Member (2002)
Russian to English
more spooky stuff... Mar 12, 2003

Hi Zmejka and all,

iz toi zhe serii:

I\'m reading a history of Russian submarines, and at one point the author goes off about how the nutty americans named one of their subs Red Button (that is, the red button that will blow half the earth off). I did a double take, because the sub was named \"Baton Rouge,\" which is a city in Louisiana!! So Baton sounds like \"button,\" and we all know what rouge means...

But who knows, maybe W will get around to naming something
... See more
Hi Zmejka and all,

iz toi zhe serii:

I\'m reading a history of Russian submarines, and at one point the author goes off about how the nutty americans named one of their subs Red Button (that is, the red button that will blow half the earth off). I did a double take, because the sub was named \"Baton Rouge,\" which is a city in Louisiana!! So Baton sounds like \"button,\" and we all know what rouge means...

But who knows, maybe W will get around to naming something red button

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

russian spookies

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »