https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/93245-left_handers_in_the_translation_field.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Left Handers in the Translation field
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 4, 2008

This is an off topic question and is for fun. I am curious to know how many of the translators and interpreters on this website are left handed. As a left-hander, I have always wondered about the ration of right handers to left handers in the field.

Post if you like or if you know of someone who is left handed.

Thanks to all beforehand!

Oh and before I forget, happy new year. I hope Santa/Wise men delivered on his promises!

Anne Grimes
Anne Grimes
Canada
Local time: 17:31
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm left handed.. Jan 4, 2008

..and proud of it!
Anne

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:31
German to English
Me too Jan 4, 2008

When I was a kid my mum didn't want me swapping cutlery around so she made me eat right handed - or so she thought. I eat right handed with a knife and fork and left handed with a spoon and fork - I tricked her but it left me confused when peeling vegetables for which the peeler goes in one hand and the chopping knife in the other
Gillian

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:31
French to Spanish
+ ...
August 13th, I think, Jan 4, 2008

...is our International Day.
http://www.inclusiondigital.net/albergue/zurdos/curiosidades.html
Some problems at school with no left handers seats, but no major traumas in my life.
Besides, I'm quite ambidextrous, and that's good when you come to paint a huge wall or I have to nail a lot of nails!
So far, 3 mujeres, un hombre.
I salute you.... See more
...is our International Day.
http://www.inclusiondigital.net/albergue/zurdos/curiosidades.html
Some problems at school with no left handers seats, but no major traumas in my life.
Besides, I'm quite ambidextrous, and that's good when you come to paint a huge wall or I have to nail a lot of nails!
So far, 3 mujeres, un hombre.
I salute you.

[Editado a las 2008-01-04 05:46]
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Also left-handed Jan 4, 2008

But can luckily write with both hands - legibly, but not as well with my right hand.

Still, it comes in useful when I'm writing exams as I inevitably get writer's cramp.

Debs

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:31
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too Jan 4, 2008

I'm left handed. Definitely - my right hand is not nearly as strong, though I can write slowly with it. I write fast and legibly with my left - I promised my schoolteacher, who gave me special treatment when I was four!

I have heard the legend that there are more linguists among left handers (or the reverse...) and some statistics, however unreliable, would be interesting. I have tried a couple of times to suggest this as a quick poll, but it has apparently not struck the chord of g
... See more
I'm left handed. Definitely - my right hand is not nearly as strong, though I can write slowly with it. I write fast and legibly with my left - I promised my schoolteacher, who gave me special treatment when I was four!

I have heard the legend that there are more linguists among left handers (or the reverse...) and some statistics, however unreliable, would be interesting. I have tried a couple of times to suggest this as a quick poll, but it has apparently not struck the chord of general interest.

I once attended a French class where five out of eight students were left handed!

My husband is left handed when he uses tools, but not at the table, and at school he was made to write with his right hand. Sometimes you have to be in love with him to be able to read his writing He is quite a linguist too, though not professionally.
Our son is right handed.

Funnily enough, I have an uncle and aunt who had a very special family. They are both left handed, he a twin with a right-handed brother, and she a triplet with an identical left-handed sister and a right-handed brother. They had four right-handed children, no multiple births.

Happy New Year from me too!
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Quick poll? Jan 4, 2008

Hi, I'm right-handed but I find this topic interesting. Why don't you propose a quick poll?

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'm left-handed Jan 4, 2008

Happy New Year to you too!

I'm left-handed.

I just re-lay the cutlery on the dinner table
I can only write with my left hand, otherwise my writing is illegible to anyone but myself.

I don't like working with power tools, because most of them are designed for right-hand use. For all other activities, I usually try which hand is easier and I don't really have a fixed preference.
<
... See more
Happy New Year to you too!

I'm left-handed.

I just re-lay the cutlery on the dinner table
I can only write with my left hand, otherwise my writing is illegible to anyone but myself.

I don't like working with power tools, because most of them are designed for right-hand use. For all other activities, I usually try which hand is easier and I don't really have a fixed preference.

My second son is left-handed; he is also the one who seems to have inherited most of my character and fysical characteristics. More than my other children anyway (I have three sons). My husband is right-handed.

I would also like to see a quick poll on this, could you please give it another try? If I may make a suggestion, add 'ambidexter' as an option. I'm very curious to know if there are ambidextrous (?) people among us as well.
Collapse

Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Italy
Italian to English
Me too! Jan 4, 2008

I'm a lefty... and proud of it

Although I do use my right hand for some things (I broke my left arm several times as a child and had to learn to use my right hand)... such as when using a mouse or scissors.

José Miguel Braña Montaña
José Miguel Braña Montaña  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Me too Jan 4, 2008

I am left-handed too. I agree with Margreet, there is a lot of tools that could make you become right-handed. For instance, before becoming a freelancer, I had to share the computer at work with other people and even now I have the mouse on the right side of the computer (and I know it's very easy to set it to be used by a lefty) but I don't even think about it.

Best regards,

Miguel

Sarah Appleby (X)
Sarah Appleby (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Left-handed but adaptable! Jan 4, 2008

Great thread and topic for a poll! I'm left-handed too ("sinister" as some still insist on joking about) but learnt to play tennis/the guitar, use scissors and knit right-handed because no-one could teach me how to do these things the lefty way! I still have problems using knives and tools sometimes due to the right-handed design of many implements.

Raffaella Cornacchini
Raffaella Cornacchini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
both Jan 4, 2008

I'm a lefty forced to be right handed in school, so I actually write with my right hand. But you can't fool Mother Nature, so in sports (long jump, figure skating...) I behaved like a lefty. I use my left hand - and my left hand only - with my mobile as well as with cups, spoons and keys.
Raffaella

Victoria Bourseul
Victoria Bourseul  Identity Verified
French to English
Another lefty Jan 4, 2008

I've been really interested reading other people's posts. I always thought I wrote left-handed but did most other things right-handed (racket sports, guitar, computer mouse, etc) but I realise now there are some things I absolutely have to do left-handed - using the phone, keys, cups, just like Raffaella said. I'm also a left-footer on the very rare occasions I kick a football!

Natalya Danilova
Natalya Danilova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:31
Italian to Russian
+ ...
+1 with Raffaella Jan 4, 2008

+1 with Raffaella, I used to be 100% lefty, but at school I was forced to use my right hand. So now I'm strangely ambidixtrous. I say "strangely" because I can't predict which hand I would use for this or that. Though left hand is and will remain the dominant one.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Right-handed with left mouse Jan 4, 2008

Last spring I moved the mouse to the left side of my laptop and now I'm as fast as before with my right hand. I also changed to brush my teeth with my left hand.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Left Handers in the Translation field

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »