Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: How do the Dutch say \'double Dutch\'? Or the Russians \'Russian Roulette\'? More...
Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Palko Agi
Palko Agi  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"vengerka" Apr 29, 2003

When I was in Russia, I was told never to say \"Ja vengerka\" (I am Hungarian, or I am a Hungarian woman) because this word means something like \"prostitute\". They say that the tsars had brought Hungarian women for this purpose...

Palko Agi
English to Hungarian
+ ...
néma, franc Apr 29, 2003

In Hungarian \"néma\" means \"dumb\". It comes from the word \"német\" = German. Obviously, when German people had first come to Hungary, their language was something nobody understood.

\"Franc\" comes from \"francia\" = French.

Orgiginaly it was \"francia betegség\" = French disease, and it meant syphilis. Now this word is only used in slang, in phrases like \"Menj a francba!\" = (roughly) Go to hell!

\"A franc essen beléd!\" = something like You b
... See more
In Hungarian \"néma\" means \"dumb\". It comes from the word \"német\" = German. Obviously, when German people had first come to Hungary, their language was something nobody understood.

\"Franc\" comes from \"francia\" = French.

Orgiginaly it was \"francia betegség\" = French disease, and it meant syphilis. Now this word is only used in slang, in phrases like \"Menj a francba!\" = (roughly) Go to hell!

\"A franc essen beléd!\" = something like You be damned! etc.
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:46
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dumb Germans Apr 29, 2003

Bence

If I\'ve understood the etymology correctly think it\'s the other way round. It was the same for the Russians. The word for German is Nemets, which comes from the adjective nemoi which means dumb. I don\'t think it is the other way round!! The Russians had a word for dumb before they had a word for Germans. I would imagine that the Hungarians borrowed from the Russians, or vice versa. No?

Palko Agi
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sorry, Dan, you are right Apr 30, 2003

Now that I think about it... of course, it\'s the other way round.

My language history classes are quite far away...

vladex
vladex  Identity Verified
Polish
+ ...
Germans = Niemcy and other Polish jokes :-) Apr 30, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-29 13:15, The Tautologist wrote:

Bence

If I\'ve understood the etymology correctly think it\'s the other way round. It was the same for the Russians. The word for German is Nemets, which comes from the adjective nemoi which means dumb. I don\'t think it is the other way round!! The Russians had a word for dumb before they had a word for Germans. I would imagine that the Hungarians borrowed from the Russi... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-29 13:15, The Tautologist wrote:

Bence

If I\'ve understood the etymology correctly think it\'s the other way round. It was the same for the Russians. The word for German is Nemets, which comes from the adjective nemoi which means dumb. I don\'t think it is the other way round!! The Russians had a word for dumb before they had a word for Germans. I would imagine that the Hungarians borrowed from the Russians, or vice versa. No?

[forgive my English, but I\'m not a professional translator ]

Excuse me, but I\'m affraid that Russians didn\'t meet Germans before Polish, Czechs and Slavonic tribes conquested by Hungarians did. I\'m deadly sure, that Russians borrowed it from one of West Slavonic languages. (And AFAIK it is archaic in modern Russian, while Germania and Germaniets become more usual). In Polish dumb=niemy, so in popular etymology it is believed that a name Niemcy (sing. Niemiec)(Germans) is derived from dumb. But as I heard, it is not true and this name is derived from name of Germanic tribe of Nemetes (see: http://www.romansonline.com/Countries_L.asp?Icode=2073). However, I\'m not sure, if a small tribe located near Rhene River could give name for all nation in most slavonic languages. Why not Saxons or like? But sometimes in slang Germans are called Szwaby (another Germanic tribe).

In Polish a turkey is \"indyk\".

And Polish jokes in Poland are jokes about policemen or blonds. But of course there are jokes about a Pole, a German and a Russian (and usually a Pole is more lucky, than smart, but anyway the latter /esp. Russian/ are even more stupid).

I\'m not sure what \"french leave\" means, but I espect it is \"wyjϾ po angielsku\"

And in old Polish there was French disease, and still in slang \"franca\" means syphilis or a nasty person.

There are different kinds of monkey wrenches, but the most popular is \"klucz francuski\" and second is \"klucz szwedzki\".

In Poland many connoisseurs say, that Turkish would feel offended if we offer them \"kawa po turecku\" - a coffe in a glass spilled with boilng water.

In Polish cusine there is \"fasolka po bretoñsku\" - \"a bean a la bretagnese\" - probably never seen in North-Western France.

\"Czeski b³¹d\" - czech mistake - eg. when you want to write/say 123, and you write/say 321.

\"Udawaæ Greka\" - to pretend a Greek - to pretend, you don\'t know anything about given topic (especially when you are responsible for that).

\"Popamiêtaæ ruski miesi¹c\" - to remember for a Russian [literary: Ruthenian] month - remember sth unpleasant for a long time.

\"Mi³oœæ francuska\" and \"grecka\" - French and Greek love - respectively: oral and anal sex

And many other examples, that I can\'t recollect now.

Collapse

Erika P (X)
Erika P (X)  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
1. blame history 2. Apr 30, 2003

1. blame history

(to Ágnes and Dan)

As far as I know back in the pagan times of Hungarian history being \"néma\" (dumb: one who doesn\'t speak too much, nothing to do with being \"stupid\" here) was considered to be a characteristic as well as a disability. An ancient settlement’s name has also been recorded \"Néma\". It might well be true that the Magyars came into contact with the Germans (trade&politics&wars, etc.) much, much earlier than one can assume. And as for t
... See more
1. blame history

(to Ágnes and Dan)

As far as I know back in the pagan times of Hungarian history being \"néma\" (dumb: one who doesn\'t speak too much, nothing to do with being \"stupid\" here) was considered to be a characteristic as well as a disability. An ancient settlement’s name has also been recorded \"Néma\". It might well be true that the Magyars came into contact with the Germans (trade&politics&wars, etc.) much, much earlier than one can assume. And as for the assorted Slavic tribes...

2. Hungarian expressions regarding other nations (only the highlights):

The English:

Takes English leave: \"Angolosan távozik\": Leaving without paying the bill, also disappearing without a trace.

In the way/manner of the English: \"Angolos\" as an adjective: understated, well tailored (dress style) professional, polite, calm and collected (manners). Also: not too friendly, morose, stern or cold-hearted: \"hûvös angol\", \"angol hidegvér\" cold-blooded English(ness).

\"English cold blood and clean collar !\" \"Angol hidegvér és tiszta gallér!\" Obsolete slang of students of Pest (of Budapest, turn of the last century(?), a sarcastic wish/comment about one’s partaking in duels.

The Scottish:

Pays like a Scotsman: \"Skótul fizet\": one doesn’t leave a tip.

Scottish: \"Skót\": (as an adjective) obsessively thrifty, deep-pocketed.

The Czech:

\"We are standing amidst the Czech state of affairs\", \"Csehül állunk\": Being/standing in deep trouble. (Obviously a historical connection, may analyse it another time.)

\"one feels like a Czech\", \"Csehül érzi magát\": being knee-deep in...hmm, troubles.

The Chinese:

Sounds Chinese, \"Kínaiul hangzik\": Difficult to comprehend.

The French:

One does it in a French way, \"Franciázik\": (vulgarised grammar) one makes love in a \"French way\" or doing the \"69\", may your imagination roam free about this.

The Americans:

To \"Americize\", \"Amerikázik\": (vulgarised grammar) to act/do like the Americans. I guess it was coined by the Communist Propaganda Machine, thus it is nearly obsolete. Variety of meanings: one loiters, plays truant, does not behave like a decent citizen, etc. Enuff said.

This is America! \"Itt van Amerika!\": Great times, plenty galore, Lady Luck comes knocking at the door. Well, a question of viewpoint.

[ This Message was edited by: Erika Pál on 2003-04-30 16:06]
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hungary vs the rest of the world May 1, 2003

fascinating stuff...

The English don\'t come out of it too well do they? Everyone seems to have this one about English leave!!

And why does everyone think the Scots are mean...?

The Czech state of affairs is obviously a bit of central European rivalry

French kissing we have in English, but it is not nearly as involved as the French way that you describe... but then the English are a cold and reserved bunch, so perhaps to be expected

O
... See more
fascinating stuff...

The English don\'t come out of it too well do they? Everyone seems to have this one about English leave!!

And why does everyone think the Scots are mean...?

The Czech state of affairs is obviously a bit of central European rivalry

French kissing we have in English, but it is not nearly as involved as the French way that you describe... but then the English are a cold and reserved bunch, so perhaps to be expected

One does it in a French way, \"Franciázik\": (vulgarised grammar) one makes love in a \"French way\" or doing the \"69\", may your imagination roam free about this.

\"\"Itt van Amerika!\": Great times, plenty galore, Lady Luck comes knocking at the door. Well, a question of viewpoint.\"

Indeed, I can think of certain viewpoints right now who might question the aptness of this idiom....
Collapse

Rachel Vanarsdall
Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
Member (2004)
French to English
May 1, 2003

[Edited at 2005-10-02 17:57]

Libero_Lang_Lab
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
US vs UK English May 1, 2003

on this side of the Pond, \"mean\" can mean either stingy or cruel

just as mad can mean angry or deranged.

gotten is definitely an Americanism, but one which has crept its way into fairly common usage in these parts among younger generations.

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
two nations... May 1, 2003

Differences between English in America and the UK can be confusing sometimes,

I remember once saying in a certain situation (because of something at that moment, and as a joke) that I felt like an honorary American, and the person next to me thought I said \'I feel like an ornery (sp?) American\' which is very different and he thought might be an insult - it took a bit of hasty straightening out.

\'Ornery\' isn\'t in general use in the UK (except in Western films).

[ T
... See more
Differences between English in America and the UK can be confusing sometimes,

I remember once saying in a certain situation (because of something at that moment, and as a joke) that I felt like an honorary American, and the person next to me thought I said \'I feel like an ornery (sp?) American\' which is very different and he thought might be an insult - it took a bit of hasty straightening out.

\'Ornery\' isn\'t in general use in the UK (except in Western films).

[ This Message was edited by: giulik on 2003-05-02 00:31]
Collapse

Rachel Vanarsdall
Rachel Vanarsdall  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
Member (2004)
French to English
one more question May 1, 2003

Do British children say \"brang\"? My 9 year old is convinced that brang is the past participle of bring. Wonder if US/British children make similar grammatical mistakes growing up? There\'s a PhD in there somewhere...

And if English children eat spaghetti, do they call it \"pisgetti\"? If an American child offers a Welsh child spaghetti, will the poor Welsh child think he\'s going to get cookies (oops I mean biscuits)? (The one thing I remember from my Welsh classes is
... See more
Do British children say \"brang\"? My 9 year old is convinced that brang is the past participle of bring. Wonder if US/British children make similar grammatical mistakes growing up? There\'s a PhD in there somewhere...

And if English children eat spaghetti, do they call it \"pisgetti\"? If an American child offers a Welsh child spaghetti, will the poor Welsh child think he\'s going to get cookies (oops I mean biscuits)? (The one thing I remember from my Welsh classes is that \"bisgedi\" means cookies. We did more cookie-eating than Welsh-learning).

ok, this is getting off-topic even for the off-topic forum, I\'d better get back to work!
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Brang, seen, writ etc. May 1, 2003

Yes, I\'ve heard \"brang\" a few times, and \"I seen\" and \"I writ\" are also fairly common - and not just among children (at least in my native Dublin).

Here in Germany, my seven-year-old has a few choice expressions: \"ich stande\", \"ich ging\" and so on. And a few months back when I made some silly mistake her said \"Keine Sorgen, jeder macht Fehlers\" ...

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
Local time: 09:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
chinese expressions May 17, 2003

i notice Chinese sayings are missing in this thread...

here\'s some... (chinese in big5 coding)

\"turkey\" - ¤õÂû - \"fire chicken\"

\"hamburger\" - º~³ù¹¡ - \"han castle bun/bread\" (an obvious transliteration)

\"french fries\" - Á¦±ø - \"potato strips\"

\"kiwi\" - ©_²§ªG - \"wonder fruit\" (this is obviously borrowed from the \"kiwi\" phonetically. But curiously, the kiwi was called the Chinese gooseberry
... See more
i notice Chinese sayings are missing in this thread...

here\'s some... (chinese in big5 coding)

\"turkey\" - ¤õÂû - \"fire chicken\"

\"hamburger\" - º~³ù¹¡ - \"han castle bun/bread\" (an obvious transliteration)

\"french fries\" - Á¦±ø - \"potato strips\"

\"kiwi\" - ©_²§ªG - \"wonder fruit\" (this is obviously borrowed from the \"kiwi\" phonetically. But curiously, the kiwi was called the Chinese gooseberry because it originated in China, but i guess now the New Zealanders got the credit)

\"ginseng (ones grown in the US)\" - ªáºX°Ñ \"flower flag ginseng\" (referring to the US flag) ªáºX is a dated term referring to the US.

\"tomato\" - µf­X \"barbarian (natives) eggplant\"

\"sweet potato / yam\" - µfÁ¦ \"barbarian potato\"

\"black pepper\" - ­J´Ô¯» \"barbarian pepper

powder\" (­J is an old term referring to people of north and west of the Middle Kingdom)

numerous negative terms in chinese has ­J

­J»¡ - bullsh*t (speaking nonsense)

­J¾x - making a scene

­J¨Ó - acting carelessly

­J¶Ã - carelessly

­J¶î - stupid (making a mistake)

­J«ä¶Ã·Q - idiom: imagination running rampant

¬v / ¦è are prefixes for many items that has been introduced from overseas, or from the west

\"onion\" - ¬v½µ \"ocean scallion\"

\"doll\" - ¬v«½«½ \"ocean dolly\" (especially if it features a caucasian girl)

\"making a fool of one self\" - ¥X¬v¬Û \"exhibit ocean image\"

\"celery\" - ¦èªà \"western celery\"

\"steak (beef)\" ¦è¥¶ \"western grill\"

that\'s all i can think of for now...

-kvasir

[ This Message was edited by: Kvasir on 2003-05-18 16:06]
Collapse

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Not just for the "Literati" May 24, 2003

Salut Dan

Oddly enough a French equivalent for "French letter" is "capote anglaise" (English coat or hood)

Capote, French slang for condom, also means a coat.
A slogan to promote the use of condoms for AIDS prevention says : "Sortez couverts !"

"French literal" meaning : Put your coat on if/when you go out ! (slang meani
... See more
Salut Dan

Oddly enough a French equivalent for "French letter" is "capote anglaise" (English coat or hood)

Capote, French slang for condom, also means a coat.
A slogan to promote the use of condoms for AIDS prevention says : "Sortez couverts !"

"French literal" meaning : Put your coat on if/when you go out ! (slang meaning: do not have sex without a "capote" on or unprotected.)

Jean-Luc
Collapse

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Excuse my English - Pardon My French May 24, 2003

Hello

Which of the two "tongues" is the least polite language ?

Excuse my English = 12 200 hits on Google
Pardon My French = 11600 hits on Google

This is only because of the Hegemony of the English language - it has to be the "ransom of glory" :

Indeed, so many people from all over the world, feel they have to "excuse themselves" for speaking English (not their mother tong
... See more
Hello

Which of the two "tongues" is the least polite language ?

Excuse my English = 12 200 hits on Google
Pardon My French = 11600 hits on Google

This is only because of the Hegemony of the English language - it has to be the "ransom of glory" :

Indeed, so many people from all over the world, feel they have to "excuse themselves" for speaking English (not their mother tongue) before they address (sometimes fewer in numbers) English/American monolinguals during conferences and meetings around the world.

This was uttered "French tongue in cheek" which is not cannibalism, nor another Hungarian expression for "69". Although for such an "Hungarian twist" there is nothing like a "French(y) horn" (Dohnányi 1st in D Minor):

Regards to all

Jean-Luc

Pardon My French
by George W. Maschke
5 June 1999

The finest culture
Comes from Frontz
And hoe-knee-swat-key
Molly-ponce!

Sally learned
To speak in French
She's now a dame
And not a wench

Dick acquired
That language fair
Re-shard is now
So deb-an-err

Speaking French
Will prove you're better
None will doubt
Your rays-on-debtor

Read in French
And sack-ray-blue!
You're sure to find
Your tom-pair-doo

Write in French
And you'll be famous
Just like muss-you're
Albert Camus

You can bet
Your dairy-air
Your French will prove
Your salve-war-fare

Now, he who is
A true believer
Shows his Gallic
Joyed-a-fever

French cuisine
Is all the rage
So drink Bored-O
With soft from-age

Wear a tasseled
French beret
And eat cross-ants
With French calf-A

Then there's all
That art you know
So speak bow-czar
And art-new-foe

And what a joy
To smoke Get-tans
While watching films
That come from Cans...

I guess it's not
An easy job
To be a phony
Stuck-up snob

Such games in Frontz
They also play
But there "c'est snob"
To speak anglais!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do the Dutch say \'double Dutch\'? Or the Russians \'Russian Roulette\'? More...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »