Proof the internet is the greatest thing ever happened to languages
Thread poster: Michael Jones
Michael Jones  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:41
Member (2006)
Italian to English
+ ...
May 9, 2008

I posted a comment a few weeks ago about how great the internet is for language diversity.
Well today I just blew myself away.

I was looking for some information about a word in the Tetum language, which is one of the two official languages of East Timor, the other being Portuguese. The word was "tratamentu".

Ok, forget that, I actually discovered a language I had never heard of before, a fantastic amalagam of European, African and American sources called Papiamento (or Papiamentu), spoken in the Carribean islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao (ABC, get it?).

Wow, I went through over 50 years of life without ever knowing about this.

Google it yourself, and enjoy.

Direct link Reply with quote
Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Michael May 9, 2008

Funny, I've known about Papiamentu since I don't know when. Aruba et al being part of the Dutch colonies. At school, I was told to remember their names as the ABC-islands indeed.

But I never knew about Tetum! Thanks!

Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
More languages May 9, 2008

Take a look at this interesting site.

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:41
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Ethnologue May 9, 2008
This is another very good site, if you wanna know "all the languages ever around" (or almost...)
Here you are, for Tetun: - a language from Indonesia, Austronesian family; - Tetun Dili, language of East Timor, actually a Tetun-based Creole.

Richenel Ansano  Identity Verified
Neth. Antilles
Local time: 03:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Happy to see your post. Oct 13, 2009

I am a native speaker of Papiamentu and always enjoy it when people discover our language like this. There are a lot of similarities, especially in vocabulary, with all these other languages that were influenced by Portuguese and other Iberian languages. First time I heard of Tetum. Truly a wonderful way to know bits and pieces of the world!

Ulrike H
Local time: 09:41
English to German
+ ...
the internet has a lot of advantages for people interested in languages... Oct 13, 2009

Oh, Papiamentu is a language I always wanted to learn (well since about ten years ago when I first learned about it), unfortunately so far I haven't had time or opportunity for that... About Tetum on the other hand I never had heard either.

But the internet is not only great for learning about the existence of languages, but also for learning and practicing languages...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proof the internet is the greatest thing ever happened to languages

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs