Off topic: "жемчужины" перевода (translation "pearls") - 212366 views - I am awed, simply awed
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 06:49
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 14, 2009

A thread with 1260 entries and 212366 views - awesome, simply awesome ...

http://www.proz.com/forum/russian/25175-жемчужины_перевода.html

Now with my limited knowledge of Kyrilian letters, I could figure out "perevoda" (translation) but I have no idea - neither has the rest of the world minus maximum 212366 - what
... See more
A thread with 1260 entries and 212366 views - awesome, simply awesome ...

http://www.proz.com/forum/russian/25175-жемчужины_перевода.html

Now with my limited knowledge of Kyrilian letters, I could figure out "perevoda" (translation) but I have no idea - neither has the rest of the world minus maximum 212366 - what it is all about. Can somebody (Sergej Tjumanov as the perpetrator) tell me what it is all about? Seems to me I am missing some big fun.

In any case, this thread stands out, pretty much the same way as those lonely KudoZ frontrunners with KudoZ points in the five digits league.

In any case, Sergej, chapeau!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-15 19:15 GMT]
Collapse

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:49
English to Russian
+ ...
mistranslations Apr 14, 2009

This thread deals with mistranslations where everyone posts examples of funny translation pieces.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
This thread deals with mistranslations - NOT Apr 14, 2009

Andrei Yefimov wrote:

where everyone posts examples of funny translation pieces.

The subject of this thread is the linguistic diversity, which has nothing to do with funny translation pieces.

Why I posted here? Why not? First of all, it's off-topic wherever I would put it. Second, it may move us all a little from the Anglosaxon-centric model of universe. Third, I AM curious.

Regards

Vito

Andrei Yefimov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
mistranslations - YES Apr 14, 2009

How can you tell what this thread is about if you do not know Russian? And if you know, then why do you ask:)?

Seriously though, it is mistranslations, like translation from English into Russian made by a native speaker of Chinese. Sounds very funny, believe me.

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
seems like a misunderstanding here... Apr 14, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

Andrei Yefimov wrote:

where everyone posts examples of funny translation pieces.

The subject of this thread is the linguistic diversity, which has nothing to do with funny translation pieces.

Why I posted here? Why not? First of all, it's off-topic wherever I would put it. Second, it may move us all a little from the Anglosaxon-centric model of universe. Third, I AM curious.

Regards

Vito

Andrei was not talking about your thread (the present one) but about the Russian thread you were curious about. He explained the subject matter of that thread.

Blithe
Blithe
Local time: 00:49
Russian
+ ...
translation Apr 14, 2009

"жемчужины" перевода means "pearls" of translation and that's what the whole topic is about.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Suggestion Apr 14, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

Second, it may move us all a little from the Anglosaxon-centric model of universe.

Vito

Hi Vito,

As your neighbour, since I'm based in Friuli, I'd like to ask you not to confuse the tendentious, all-embracing "Anglo-Saxon" label with the reality of the hugely diverse English-speaking peoples, many of whom use English as a second language (even in the United Kingdom, not to mention its former dependencies), or simply as a convenient lingua franca.

There is no "Anglo-Saxon model of the universe". Many of the endlessly evolving visions of the world are expressed in what their creators fondly imagine is English, and some are more profound than others, but all deserve equal respect.

As do all the world's languages.

Best,

Giles

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I appologize... Apr 14, 2009

There is no "Anglo-Saxon model of the universe". Many of the endlessly evolving visions of the world are expressed in what their creators fondly imagine is English, and some are more profound than others, but all deserve equal respect.

As do all the world's languages.

Best,

Giles

I concurr. The English is the language of present-day Koine, as much as Greek used to be. I just succeeded to muddle up the issue. Or possibly change it? [EDIT] Or possibly state it? I dont think I actually had any issue beyond pure bewilderment - like "has ProZ started to twitter!?". But then ... how do I get involved in THAT debate? The answer to "Why?" of course is "Why not"? Because I cant handle that (or some other) language?

etc.

I hope, Giles, it will continue in the direction of "What we got here, is a failure to communicate" (I know this will cost me another round of appologies) with the usual dose of curiosity, openness and mutual respect.

Regarding "please post in the correct forum"- Oh my, is there a forum, called "meta 'all the rest' "?! Any other forum is fine with me.

Vito - aka yet another "Oh Canada" beaver

[Edited at 2009-04-14 20:15 GMT]

Andrei Yefimov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
misunderstanding Apr 14, 2009

[/quote]

Andrei was not talking about your thread (the present one) but about the Russian thread you were curious about. He explained the subject matter of that thread. [/quote]

Thank you, Evija. That's exactly what I have been talking about. It has been my fault since I've used 'this', thus introducing confusion:).

[Edited at 2009-04-14 20:41 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
on the subject of misunderstanding Apr 14, 2009

Andrei Yefimov wrote:
...That's exactly what I have been talking about. It has been my fault since I've used 'this', thus introducing confusion:).

What is the etymology of "Nemec, nemški" (German - noun, adjective) in Slavic languages? The root "nem" means "mute, dumb, silent, speechless" - in other words "Nemec" stands for a person, you can't communicate with.

"I don't get it." [EDIT] even worse: "I get it" - but it is all wrong. Goes all the way through the centuries - check the (apocryphal) moment of Captain Cook asking for a name of some animal and the ship hand answering "kangaroo" (meaning I do not know.)

[Edited at 2009-04-14 21:11 GMT]

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
you're welcome, Andrei! :) Apr 14, 2009

By the way, Vito, thank you for pointing out the thread """жемчужины" перевода" -- didn't know it even existed, but now I am having a real fun reading it
Thanks!

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:49
English to Croatian
+ ...
With all due respect, Vito... Apr 15, 2009

...but most of your posts are "all Greek to me".

All those years I have been convinced that I can "read, write and speak" English. But after reading your posts I'm not so convinced. Why on Earth can't you make it simple? We are all professionals, well educated persons around here, and yet very down-to-earth people. I do not think that anyone around here is impressed with big words that, at the end, don't make much difference.

Please, for your own sake, don't become "n
... See more

All those years I have been convinced that I can "read, write and speak" English. But after reading your posts I'm not so convinced. Why on Earth can't you make it simple? We are all professionals, well educated persons around here, and yet very down-to-earth people. I do not think that anyone around here is impressed with big words that, at the end, don't make much difference.

Please, for your own sake, don't become "nemec". You are well educated and smart person.

I'm sorry if you've felt offended in any way, that wasn't my intention at all. Just a friendly advice. Take it or discard it.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
back to earth... Apr 15, 2009

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:
I'm sorry if you've felt offended in any way, that wasn't my intention at all. Just a friendly advice. Take it or discard it.

OMG, of course no offence taken, I just misread your post and I am sorry for it. And the advice welcome and accepted.

...back to the English speaking earth. Reading my own entry to myself for my own good: "what we got here, was a failure to communicate".

A footnote: I know now what that humungous thread is all about - mistranslations, misunderstandings etc, And it feels good to have company, and in such large numbers at that.

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"жемчужины" перевода (translation "pearls") - 212366 views - I am awed, simply awed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »