Thread poster: Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 31, 2008

Yes, I know that the RAE tells us that the preterite of andar is irregular anduve, anduviste, etc but in reality many people use the regular forms in day to day conversation, andé, andaste, andó...
In your Spanish variety do people use the regular or the irregular forms?
If more and more people use them, shouldn't they be considered as acceptable forms?

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:08
Spanish
+ ...
No Apr 1, 2008

The one and only right form is 'yo anduve', 'tú anduviste', 'él anduvo', etc. 'Andé and similar conjugations denote a lack of education and are not acceptable.

In reality, the conjugated forms of 'andar' aren't used very often in colloquial spoken Spanish--at least by non-educated adults; I guess that is true because 'andé' sounds weird, and there are other more common options like caminar, ir, etc.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:08
French to Spanish
+ ...
Never... Apr 1, 2008

...nobody [At least in Mexico and other countries I know] uses andé...
Maybe, perhaps, little children, but never heard it.
And I don't think, as you say, that "more and more people are using it."

[Editado a las 2008-04-01 01:12]

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
Have a look Apr 1, 2008

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltGUIVerbos?IDVERBO=1042

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not here Apr 1, 2008

No, no one talks like that here. But they might say "a lo que te truje Chencha", un dicho un poco anticuado y nadie repara aunque de todos modos tampoco es sobrecorreción.

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not down here Apr 1, 2008

Hi, Lidia

No one uses that form of the verb here either, at least not in Argentina.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed variations seem to be more commen Apr 1, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

The one and only right form is 'yo anduve', 'tú anduviste', 'él anduvo', etc. 'Andé and similar conjugations denote a lack of education and are not acceptable.

In reality, the conjugated forms of 'andar' aren't used very often in colloquial spoken Spanish--at least by non-educated adults; I guess that is true because 'andé' sounds weird, and there are other more common options like caminar, ir, etc.

It is indeed true, in my context (Spanish from Spain, most often speakers from the centre of Spain, Madrid and its surroundings), I find that often the simple past forms of "andar", either the official ("anduve" or the vulgar "andé") are often avoided and replaced by synonyms and parafrasis.

I think that people would more often say "vinimos andando desde su casa" (we came walking from his house") rather than "anduvimos desde su casa" (we walked from his house").

My impression is also that people will not so often say the wrong forms "andé" or "andó" (unless in a uneducated environment) but I think that the form "andamos" is more often heard.

Daniel

smvasc
smvasc
Spain
Local time: 13:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nunca... Apr 1, 2008

Yo vivo en Madrid y utilizamos anduve, anduviste, etc...la otra forma, tal y como se ha comentado anteriormente, denota falta de educacion. (perdona la falta de tildes)

Richard Ramirez
Richard Ramirez
Local time: 07:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
the only form is "ande" as subjunctive Apr 1, 2008

As you can see in this link, one the forms used in the subjunctive mode is "ande," e.g. comprate un carro para que no andes a pie.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Never Apr 1, 2008

No. We always say "anduve", etc. To say "andé", etc. indicates a lack of formal education, but it is unusual even in those cases.

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)
Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
La forma "andé" en Valencia, España. Apr 1, 2008

En la Comunidad Valenciana (España) es bastante corriente el uso de la forma vulgar e incorrecta "andé, andó...".

Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
En Madrid sí Apr 1, 2008

Siguiendo lo que el compañero de la Comunidad Valenciana ha comentado en Madrid, que es de donde procedo, yo si que oigo usado en conversación normal las formas "regulares".
Estoy de acuerdo en que la variedad "aceptada" es la de anduve, anduvimos, etc. Pero lo de que usar andé, andaste... etc lo usan personas sin educación vale un debate en si mismo. Esta forma por lo menos en Madrid y en Valencia por lo que dice el compañero se está usando en el día a día, y no sólo por personas
... See more
Siguiendo lo que el compañero de la Comunidad Valenciana ha comentado en Madrid, que es de donde procedo, yo si que oigo usado en conversación normal las formas "regulares".
Estoy de acuerdo en que la variedad "aceptada" es la de anduve, anduvimos, etc. Pero lo de que usar andé, andaste... etc lo usan personas sin educación vale un debate en si mismo. Esta forma por lo menos en Madrid y en Valencia por lo que dice el compañero se está usando en el día a día, y no sólo por personas "sin educación". ¿Podría tratarse de una desviación dialectal? Como por ejemplo el uso de le y la en la zona centro de la península, que es una característica dialectal que se desvía del "estándar".
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mistakes vary by region Apr 1, 2008

As mentioned above, you will never hear "andé" in Mexico, but it would not be uncommon to hear "anduvistes" in place of "anduviste".

[Edited at 2008-04-01 19:59]

cisternas
cisternas  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Neither in Chile Apr 1, 2008

Always "anduve", etc.

Cristina

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 04:08
English to Russian
+ ...
I never heard "andé" Apr 2, 2008

Not even from people who say "haiga" instead of "haya" and other similar colloquialisms.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish Linguistics question andé o anduve

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »