https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/105589-does_the_accent_mark_help_non_native_br_po_speakers_stress_correctly.html

Does the accent mark help non-native Br Po speakers stress correctly?
Thread poster: marco lessa (X)
marco lessa (X)
marco lessa (X)
Brazil
Local time: 02:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 27, 2008

It is a common belief that the accent mark helps foreigners to use correctly the Portuguese stress.
Look at the sentences below, all carrying words stressed in the penultimate syllable, and with more than one syllable, called paroxytone, ending in a (s), e (s), o (s), am, and ens, or with a repeated vowel:

ruço, buço, troço, troco, troca, oco, ovo, ova, rude, lucro, burro, surra, casa, alma, ama, arma, sarna, manha, fome, conde, origem, bonde, onde, Saara, Mooca, xii
... See more
It is a common belief that the accent mark helps foreigners to use correctly the Portuguese stress.
Look at the sentences below, all carrying words stressed in the penultimate syllable, and with more than one syllable, called paroxytone, ending in a (s), e (s), o (s), am, and ens, or with a repeated vowel:

ruço, buço, troço, troco, troca, oco, ovo, ova, rude, lucro, burro, surra, casa, alma, ama, arma, sarna, manha, fome, conde, origem, bonde, onde, Saara, Mooca, xiita, coroca, Mococa, boboca, sapeca, careca, tapera, peteca, boneca, soneca, bestice, mesmice, chatice, bobice, tolice, mestiço, afronta, arroto, arrota, arrotar, aprontar, apronto, perereca, xereca, xerereca. meleca, clareza, certeza, pureza, moleza, beleza, safadeza, certeza, pequena, sapopena, limpeza, sujeira, enfisemas, sistema, melena, falam, ouvem, nuvem, movem, correm, pulam, uivam, grunhem, ganem, podem, sacode, amolecem, adoecem, suspeita, mofam, dize, sentam, molham, escolhem, dizem, mijem, surtem, falem, andem, corram, nadem, mintam, sintam, sustentam, apoquentam, acertam, bobo, loiro, louro, loro, moro, morro, mora, sono, soro, coro, origem, francesa, inglesa, japonesa, Teresa, teresa, certeza, chocho, chucho, mocho, coxo, frouxo, sujo, surdo, mudo etc.,

and those stressed in the last syllable, called oxytone, ending in i (s), u(s) after a consonant:
tabu, tatu, peru, angu, sururu, urubu, parti, urucu, Paris, ali, exu, menu, Bangu, sururu, urutu, surucucu, vi, etc.),

and monosyllables, ending in i, is, u, us, em, ens:
nu, cu, vi, quis, cru, vem, vens, sem, vem, em, bem, nem, tem, bem, sem etc.

ALL of them without any accent mark to help to correctly pronounce them.
See also the sentences (capital letters help identify the stress):

UruBU no teLHAdo PEga resFRIAdo;
SuruRU e anGU em BAIle FIno aluciNAM;
Quem DIsse que DOce faz mal?
As imaGENS que eu vi FAlam por si MESmas;
O SAAra e a MOOca FIcam no BraSIL?
Nem tuTU, nem paSSOca me apeTEcem;
O doutTOR e a douTOra aDOram a especialiDAde;
O namoRAdo faz amOR com a empreGAda;
O EDu foi pra PaRIS;
TaTUs, peRUS TOdos pra paNEla;
TaBUS e taBU sem aCENto;
ParTI pra CIma do peRU e o maTEI;
PeRU CRU e taBU sem senTIdo;
No BraSIL, anNIL sem aCENto;
Tu fiZESte a vaca mugir e ir pro BREjo.

We could go on and on without end, and without a single accent mark to help us how to stress the words correctly.

Do you think that a foreigner that never heard the words:

acuçena, Tancredo, boleto, maçete, sorvete, colete, muleta, chupeta, chouriço, mourisco, petisco, xarope, culote, malote, estupidez, estupidezes, cretinice, avaria, amaria, choraria, entupiria, engoliria, esculhambar, fofo, mofo, xulipa, tulipa, chocho, churrascaria, moita, sotaina, melro, menos, mero, mera, bainha,tainha, rainha, madrinha, espraia, emaranha, interregno, batuta, bulhufas, biruta, exclusivo, insosso, desossar, osso, caroço, farofa, mandioca, maloca, balofo, bafio, pavio, macio, assobio, gritaria, espezinharia, esbaforido, piroga, pirolatra, piromancia, piropo, oligofilo, oftalmoplegia, oftalmoteca, microfone, microfilo, metrocele, micropsia, libido, leptofila, ibero, iceno, harpia, farmacopola, fluido, epigrama, epilampo, epifilo, epiecia, epifania, epifilo, elogio, entelequia, egilope, eczema, distilo, disosmia, disodia, mixto, etc,

could set the right Portuguese stress? They don’t have any accent mark to help with the right stress.

Then why the accent mark in Portuguese if it doesn’t help the foreigners and the native speakers as well?

A native speaker child when he/she sees the word xispe he/she ALREADY KNOWS VERY WELL HOW TO PRONOUNCE IT OR WHERE TO PUT THE STRESS MARK:
XISpe

And when she sees the word húmido she already knows that it is pronounced Umido

She doesn’t need any accent mark to teach her what her mother has been teaching he/she all her/his life!

But then you would say:
But the words that have accent mark couldn’t be stressed correctly without it!

Let’s examine the words called proparoxitone, that have the accent mark in the antepenultimate syllable (they are the fewer in Portuguese, and that’s why ALL OF THEM – without any exception whatsoever - have accent mark! It’s a golden rule, without ANY exception!
The reason for this rule is that how the proparoxytones are the fewest of the language; let’s put the accent mark upon all of them so we can do so the least!
This unbelievable grammatical rule implicates that the accent mark isn’t a good thing in Portuguese!
This rule has a supplementary rule that commands that all the words that end in a improper dyphtong (ditongo crescente) must be marked. This rule is still much more difficult to obey than its parent rule.
It’s an opportunist rule without any logical reason at all!
First, we have to know what is an improper dyphtong (crescente). A dyphtong is the encounter of a vowel and a semivowel or a semivowel and a vowel. A semivowel (the sounds /i/ and /u/) is a linguistic sound formed by the vibration of the vocal strings that is neither a vowel nor a consonant. It’s easier to classify the vowels saying simply that they are always the center of the syllable, ant the consonants are marginal sounds that are always attached to a vowel to form a syllable. A semivowel is neither a consonant nor a vowel. It’s the sounds /i/ and /u/ which are attached to a vowel to form a syllable. It puta: in the word riso (laugh) and riu (laughed) i is a vowel, but in rei (king) and vário (several) is a semivowel; the letter u in muro (wall) and rua (street) is a vowel but is a semivowel in meu (mine) and quarto (sleeping room).
Which comes first really matters. The position of the vowel and the semivowel determines if the dyphtong is improper (crescente) or proper dyphtong (decrescente). If the vowel comes first it’s a proper dyphtong (decrescente). If it comes after the semi vowel it’s a improper dyphtong (crescente); eg.: água, mágo[u]a, are[i[a, inóquo[u], iníquo[u], cônscio[u], tênue[i], míngua, cartório]u], lábio[u], aére[i]o[u], oblíque[i[, relíquia, ambíguo, bilíngüe.
It’s a much more difficult rule to apply than the main rule.

Let’s take a proparoxytone word like próximo (=next). It’s without doubt that the accent mark does its job indicating that the stress should fall on the 3rd syllable backwards.
That’s no doubt about it. If it where not for the accent mark you could pronounce it: proXImo, proxiMo.
But that isn’t all there is to it.
The letter x can be pronounced in tree ways in Portuguese (cs–êxtase;
s-próximo; z-exame), and the letter o, in three (ó- óculos, ósculo, óbito; ô- ovo, movo, novo, moço, torço, bobo, apoio, arroio, sobrolho, abrolho, restolho, rolo, piolho; u- amo, ano, cano, pano, poço, luto, muito, tudo, fumo etc.)
Then we would have the following SIX different combined pronunciations for próximo, EVEN WITH ACCENT MARK to help you to chose which one is right!

PRÓcsimo(u);PRÓzimo(u), PRÓssimo(u);

Still another:

esDRÚxula, e(i)sDRÚcsula, e(i)sDRÚssula, e(i)sDRÚzula).

You wouldn’t commit a silaBAda (mistake in the accent of a word) but you will be a stocking stock if you pronounce ut puta:

PRÓzimu or isDRÚzula!

Which one would you chose as correctly? Did the accent mark help you in any way? There are thousands of proparoxitones words in Portuguese with x:

êxtase, êxito, extrínseco, êxodo, xícara, xácara (=poesia pop.=seguidilha), extático, excêntrico, exotérico, sexagésimo, sexcentésimo, xícara, xífópago etc.

Without x:
célere (CÉlêre(i);CÉlére(i); anTÍfona (naTÍfôna, anTÍfóna);
ácido (Ácidu); ênfase (ÊNfasi); músculo (MÚSculu); hipófise (hiPÓfisse;hiPÓfize; hiPÓfizê; hiPÓfissê), ríspido (RÍSpido(u);RRÍSpidu), excêntrico (ecsCÊNtrico[u]; ezCÊNtrico[u]; essCÊNtrico[u], árvore (ÁRvô(ó)ré(i) etc.

So, in the world excêntrico, the stress mark did help us to avoid a silabada, but we were completely out of tune if we say ezCÊNtricu in a speech. Unfortunately there is no stress mark to help us.

Well, and what about the paroxytones (stress in the penultimate syllable) ending in l (MÓvel, esTÁvel), n (HÍfen, eLÉtron), r (FÊmur, aÇÚcar), x (LÁtex, TÓrax), ps (BÍceps, TRÍceps, FÓRceps,), i[s] (JÚri, CÚtis), [o] cliTÓris), u[s](meiNÁcu=Arak indian), BÔnus,VÍrus, ei[s] (FÓsseis, FÁceis), um (FÓrum), uns(ÁLbuns), ão[s](ÓRgão, aCÓRdão), ã[s](ÓRfã, ÓRgãos)?

The words ending in l can be pronounced in two ways: esTÁvel, esTÁveu; so the mark doesn’t help much; in x, in three ways, as we have seen before; in ei(s), can be pronounced in two ways êis, éis.
Problems do arise with the rest, in r, n, u, ã, ãos, and i.
You can be cheated to say fê(é)MUR, hiFEN, viRUS, juRI, acó(ô)rDÃO.

That isn’t a big problem in Portuguese. The language has what is called a ‘double stress (dupla pronúncia) or ‘oscilação de pronúncia (stress sway)’’.
Ut puta:

ambroSIA/amBRÓsia; aniDRIdo/aNÍdrido/crisânTEmo/criSÂNtemo; OceaNIA/OceÂnia; PÚdico (Port.)e RÚbrica (Port,)/puDIco/ruBRIca (Br.); acroBAta/aCRÓbata; hieRÓglifo/hiroGLIfo; homiLIa/hoMÍlia; proJÉtil/projeTIL; ortoÉpia/ortoePIA; SÓror/soROR; ZANgão/zanGÃO; RÉptil/repTIL; Xérox/xeROX; liqÜidação/liqUidação; faCÍnora/facíNOra.

And there are a lot of words that are wrongly stressed - according to the grammarians -, but everybody use in daily life (wrong stress are marked*):
AeroLIto*, aeRÓlito; aerosTato*aeRÓstato; alCÓva*/alCÔva; Alibi/Álibi*;
alVÉdrio*/alveDRIO; benÇÃO*/BENção; BÁtavo*/baTAvo; aRÍete*/ariEte;
uRÉter*/ureTER; RÉfrega*/reFREga; qudruMAno*/quaDRÚmano; neCRÓpsia*/necropSIA; poLIpo*/PÓlipo; pleT(Ô)ra*/ple(TÓ)ra, and thousands or maybe hundreds of thousands of others.

And there are a lot of words in a process of changing according the popular taste like nefeliBAta, which should be pronounced nefeLÍbata, according to the grammarians…

But as Horace said:

“Consuetudo, jus et norma loquendi”.

Poor boys and girls that stress everyday words correctly are submitted to terrible pains when they are asked to put the stress mark.
A little boy was asked by the teacher to write a phrase saying that the class was over. He wrote in the black board:

PURO GESSO (naked chalk)

The teacher told him that that phrase had nothing to do with the end of the class. Then the boy said: “I’m sorry. I’ve forgotten the accent mark”

And did it again this time with the accent marks:

PURÔ GESSÓ (=Por hoje é só=that’s all for today).

Quotes:
SOCACI:
“As dificuldades de pronúncia de certos sons da língua portuguesa pelos índios dos séculos XVI a XVIII e também pelos mestiços, seus descendentes, os chamados caipiras, marcaram fundo as sonoridades do dialeto caipira. Algo parecido com as dificuldades que nós temos para línguas estrangeiras e povos de outros países têm para falar línguas diferentes das suas. Um dos professores de inglês que tive na vida era escocês. Confessou-me ele que, apesar de ter sido educado em língua inglesa, continuava sentindo dores no rosto quando falava inglês (continuava falando o escocês) porque tinha que forçar a musculatura da face para falar a língua inglesa. Ou seja, há certos sons impossíveis de pronunciar corretamente numa boca estrangeira.”
See the same thoughts about.

Língua Geral da AMAZÔNIA
NHEENGATU
O nheengatu, também conhecido como nhengatu, língua geral da Amazônia, ou ainda pelo nome latino lingua brasilica, é uma língua do Tronco tupi, da família Tupi-Guarani. É a língua materna de parte da população cabocla do interior amazônico, além de manter o caráter de língua de comunicação entre índios e não-índios, ou entre índios de diferentes línguas.
Constitui, ainda, um instrumento de afirmação étnica dos povos que perderam suas línguas, como os Baré, os Arapaço e outros. Há também reduzidos grupos de falantes nas areas limítrofes da Colômbia e Venezuela. Originou-se a partir do século XVII no Pará e Maranhão, como lingua franca formulada pelos jesuítas a partir do vocabulário e pronúncia tupinambás, que foram enquadrados em uma gramática modelada na portuguesa. Para conceitos e objetos estranhos à língua emprestaram-se inúmeros vocábulos do português e espanhol. A essa mistura deu-se o nome ie’engatu, que significa "língua boa".
Em seu auge, chegou a ser a língua dominante do vasto território brasileiro em conjunto com sua irmã idiomática, a língua geral paulista, sendo usada não apenas por índios e jesuítas, mas também como língua corrente de muitos colonos de sangue português. Entretanto, entrou em declínio a partir do século XVIII, com o aumento da imigração portuguesa, e sofreu duro golpe em 1758 ao ser banida pelo Marquês de Pombal, por ser associada aos jesuítas, os quais haviam sido expulsos dos territórios dominados por Portugal.
See what says other author about Nheengatu:
A proibição da língua brasileira
José de Souza Martins
Somos um povo bilíngüe, e o reconhecimento desse bilingüismo seria fundamental no trabalho dos educadores.
(...) Dificuldades também havia para pronunciar as consoantes dobradas. Daí que, no dialeto caipira, “orelha” tenha se tornado “orêia” (uma consoante em vez de três; quatro vogais em vez de três), “coalho” seja “coaio”, “colher” tenha virado ”cuié”, “os olhos” sejam “o zóio”... E no Nordeste ainda se ouve a suave “fulô” no lugar da menos suave “flor”. Uma abundância de vogais em detrimento das consoantes, até mesmo com a introdução de vogais onde não existiam. Exatamente o contrario [o grifo é nosso. Veja que o A. cacografou a palavra terminada em ditongo crescente io –ou foi cochilo da revisão. Como é que você pronunciou (leu): CONtrario, conTRArio, contraRIO?] da evolução da sonoridade da língua e Portugal, em que predominam os ásperos sons das consoantes. No Brasil, a língua portuguesa ficou mais doce e mais lenta, mais descansada, justamente pela enorme influência das sonoridades da língua geral, o nheengatu (...)”
Another author says:
AS LÍNGUAS GERAIS SUL-AMERICANAS
Aryon Dall’Igna Rodrigues (Universidade de Brasília
(...)”A colonização portuguesa do Brasil começou formalmente em 1532, com a fundação de São Vicente, em pleno domínio tupi, por Martim Afonso de Souza. Já antes desse acontecimento havia portugueses estabelecidos entre os tupis, como o famoso Bacharel de Cananéia e o influente João Ramalho. O grupo de colonos desembarcados por Martim Afonso de Souza em São Vicente era integrado exclusivamente por homens. Somente em 1537 chegou o primeiro casal português a São Vicente (Madre de Deus [1797] 1975: 63-64). Mesmo com a chegada subseqüente de outros casais, ou com a chamada das esposas portuguesas por alguns colonos, o afluxo maior continuou sendo de homens sós, que passavam a viver com mulheres indígenas7. Dessa situação resultou uma população mestiça cuja língua materna era o tupi das mães e também de toda a parentela, já que do lado dos pais em geral não havia parentes consangüíneos. Por muito mais de cem anos continuou o idioma das primeiras mães a ser a língua dos paulistas, de modo que em 1694 Antônio Vieira podia fazer a sua tão citada observação de que, ainda nesse fim do século XVII, "é certo que as famílias dos Portugueses e Índios de S. Paulo estão tão ligadas hoje umas com as outras, que as mulheres e os filhos se criam mística e domesticamente, e a língua que nas ditas famílias se fala é a dos Índios, e a portuguesa a vão os meninos aprender à escola" (Vieira 1951: 355)8.”
Só o governador Mem de Sá exterminou os tamoios ou tupinambás do Rio de Janeiro, que foram aliados dos franceses de Villegagnon, promoveu a guerra contra os kaetés da Bahia e de Pernambuco em vingança por terem alguns deles matado o bispo Fernandes Sardinha, e fez guerra também contra grande parte dos tupinambás da Bahia15. Em Pernambuco, os dois primeiros donatários, Duarte Coelho e seu filho do mesmo nome, despovoaram inteiramente a costa16. Os temiminós das capitanias de Ilhéus e Porto Seguro foram igualmente elminados17. Além disso, as terríveis epidemias de varíola (bexigas) que reiteradamente grassaram na Bahia e regiões vizinhas no século XVI dizimaram os índios que estavam em contacto pacífico com os portugueses, seja como catecúmenos, seja como escravos18. O resultado desses e outros acontecimentos foi a rapidíssima redução da população indígena, à qual se contrapôs uma maciça importação de escravos africanos e a continuada imigração de portugueses. Ainda que possa ter-se iniciado em algum ponto um processo de miscigenação semelhante ao de São Paulo, este terá sido em pouco tempo superado pela rápida mudança nas proporções demográficas entre índios e não-índios19. Daí o predomínio da língua portuguesa por toda a extensa área costeira central, sem que aí tenha havido as condições sociolingüísticas para o desenvolvimento de uma língua geral.
(...)Como exemplos das ações belicosas de Mem de Sá vejam-se as seguintes passagens de um seu relatório de 1570: (a) ".....e logo comecei a fazer guerra em Jaguaripe, que é da outra banda da Bahia, onde se destruiram nascidos aldeias, cativaram e mataram muitos indios". (b) "....e ante manhã, duas horas, dei na aldeia e a destruí e matei todos os que quiseram resistir, e à vinda vim queimando e destruindo todas as aldeias que ficaram atrás..."; ( c) "....e ante manhã dei na fortaleza e a entramos, matando todos os que quiseram defender, e nos deixaram as casas com todos seus mantimentos e mais fato, que nela tinham, e daí entrei e rodeei todo o Peroaçu [=Paraguaçu], tendo muitas pelejas e lhes destruí cento e trinta e tantas aldeias, e me retornei a embarcar..." (Sá [1570] 1906).”

The stress mark in Portuguese is both a useless stupidity, and a continued sign of the settler’s secular violence against the mother tongues.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-05-27 00:40]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:54
French to Spanish
+ ...
Gee! May 27, 2008

Don't know anything about Brasilian Portuguese, it's accent marks, and I'm not shure to quite understand your veeeery long post, and your point [Why in an English forum? I don't think we all understand Portuguese], but you shure seem to be upset with:

"The stress mark in Portuguese is both a useless stupidity, and a continued sign of the settler’s secular violence against the mother tongues."

What a strange argument. Why "stress mark" = "secular violence"?

... See more
Don't know anything about Brasilian Portuguese, it's accent marks, and I'm not shure to quite understand your veeeery long post, and your point [Why in an English forum? I don't think we all understand Portuguese], but you shure seem to be upset with:

"The stress mark in Portuguese is both a useless stupidity, and a continued sign of the settler’s secular violence against the mother tongues."

What a strange argument. Why "stress mark" = "secular violence"?

I would say: "Conquest" = "Secular violence."

Mother tongues, in Brazil, Mexico, Peru, etc., were replaced by Portuguese and Spanish.
A lot of languages disapeared [Bad thing] and some of them survive nowadays [Good thing].

What's your point?

Spaniards and Portuguese are/were the bad guys? We know that.

Well, dunno. Rome smashed a lot of civilazations, but Portuguese still speaks Latin, doesn't it?
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
I think they do help May 27, 2008

I'm just a non-native who learned Brazilian Portuguese almost 20 years ago, a lot of which I've forgotten by now (not a working language).

But I seem to remember that I was told that words are USUALLY stressed on the penultimate syllable, unless they end with -i or -u (abacaxi, tabu), or unless the accent indicates otherwise.

Without an accent, I as a foreigner would almost certainly pronounce words like alfândega or húmido with an accent on the penultimate syllable.
... See more
I'm just a non-native who learned Brazilian Portuguese almost 20 years ago, a lot of which I've forgotten by now (not a working language).

But I seem to remember that I was told that words are USUALLY stressed on the penultimate syllable, unless they end with -i or -u (abacaxi, tabu), or unless the accent indicates otherwise.

Without an accent, I as a foreigner would almost certainly pronounce words like alfândega or húmido with an accent on the penultimate syllable.

I don't know if that answers your question - cause I admit I didn't read your full posting - but to me it seems clear that they do help.
Collapse

marco lessa (X)
marco lessa (X)
Brazil
Local time: 02:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
stress no more May 27, 2008

Dear Colleague:

I considered it a privilege your reading my poor article about the supposed uselessness of the accent mark in Portuguese (both for non-natives - but not for educated foreigners, as you are -, and native speakers of Portuguese), and I thank you for your kind and ingenious answer to that question that certainly will contribute wisely to the debate.
You can be considered a semi native speaker of Portuguese.
You didn't 'acquired' the Portuguese stress in yo
... See more
Dear Colleague:

I considered it a privilege your reading my poor article about the supposed uselessness of the accent mark in Portuguese (both for non-natives - but not for educated foreigners, as you are -, and native speakers of Portuguese), and I thank you for your kind and ingenious answer to that question that certainly will contribute wisely to the debate.
You can be considered a semi native speaker of Portuguese.
You didn't 'acquired' the Portuguese stress in your mother's womb, but you have certainly the 'intuition' of the stress in Portuguese trough continous and strenuous education, meritorious effort, and innate talent for languages.
Someone has given you a 'golden rule' (or the 'thumb rule') to stress correctly words in Portuguese: almost all of them are paroxytones!
And that's correct! Portuguese is a language of paroxynones and oxytones words.
So, if you pronounce all the words you have to stress as paroxytones you'll be 99,99% all right.
We have no problems with paroxytones. We like them: SOnho, GAnho, GOzo, Gozo, BEbo, COmo, Amo, benfaZEjo, feliciDAde, sauDAde, amiZAde, cordialiDAde, moraliDAde, sensualiDAde, Moro, aDOro, veNEro etc.
Now do tell me: if the greatest part of Portuguese words are naturally paroxyrones, then why do we HAVE to put the accent mark on SOME paroxytones?
Who are those privileged paroxytones that thave the honour to carry the accent mark?
They are the ones ending in l, n, r, x, i(s), u(s), ei, eis, um, uns,ão, ãos, ã, ãs, and ps.
Ut puta: móvel, hífen, açúcar, júri, látex, júri, cútis, pônei, fósseis, fórum, álbuns, órgão, órgãos, órfã, órfãs, and fórcéps.
We could put this rule in a mirror and see it as it really is:
Stress ALL paroxytones, EXCEPT the ones ending in a (CAsa), as (anTEnas), e (FOme), es (CONdes), o (LUcro), os (CARlos), am (FAlam), em (iMAgem), and ens (oRIgens).
Do you recognize this rule? It's the same they have tought you in the past! Remember?
Now, if you see for the first time in your life the word ETER. How woukd you stress it? Eter or eTER?
As a paroxytone of course, according the Golden Rule: Eter (éter -as a paroxytone ending in r). Does the accent mark helped you in a any way to stress it correctly? No! You did it WITHOUT ANY ACCENT MARK!
The same goes for, ut puta: aÇUcar, JUri, LAtex, CUtis, POnei, FOsseis, FOrum, ALbuns, ORgão, ORgãos, ORfã, ORfãs, FORceps, LAtex, BIceps etc.
All of them PAROXYTONES!
Do you agree?
Now, to be brief.
The problem are the PROPAROXYTONES.
If you see for the first time the word 'facinora' (never heard of). How would you stress ir: FAcinora, faCInora, faciNOra, or facinoRA?
By the Golden Rule, you bet in faciNOra. Wouldn't you? Wrong! It's faCInora. It's a damm PROPAROXYTONE, and ALL OF THEM WITHOUT A SINGLE EXCEPTION are stressed in the antepenultimate syllable!
WE hate them: invenCIvel, inCRIvel, deCREpito, SEculo, DIvida, CAmara, SUbito, imPAvido etc.
Why? Because they are few! It's another famous rule: The Rule of the Least Effort or of the Physiological Economy!
And the reason is:
To stress as little as possible!
If it is to stress the least possible, let's stress no more. It's much more intelligent, isn't it?
Now, if you stress faciNOra, instead of faCInora there is no problem. It's exactly as the PEOPLE is stressing the word nowaday: faciNOra.
If you stress the word nefeliBAta instead of nefeLIbata, that's ok too. The people have changed the stress to nefeliBAta.
The language is a living organism. There are no rigid rules while the PEOPLE, who owns the language, is changing it. Grammarians come after. They try to floor the language to make a living out of it, but to no avail.
We admire the English language that has no stress marks on it, and the analytical form of it. We admire how you say: monSIgnor, cateGOry, without any accent mark at all to help the right stress. We find it beautiful to say I love, you love, we love, they love, instead of: eu amo, tu amas, nós amamos, vós amais, eles amam.
But there is a problem. We say: ele (a) ama. You say (given that your native language is English) he/she/it loves. Why not to say he/she/it LOVE?

Sincerely,
Marco Paulo M. Lessa,
[email protected]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does the accent mark help non-native Br Po speakers stress correctly?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »