Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What language is this: si si si, dolada, yacu, sineladu, banaha ?
Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:53
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2003

My children are learning an African song and I've been asked to find out what it means by the choir teacher. Can anyone identify the language, presumed to be of African origin? There are only 5 words in it. I will happily pay someone to enlighten me on this song, but would not know where to post the job without knowing the language. (I've tried on Kudoz in Swahili, without response. Also tried the Internet).
The words are si si si, dolada, yacu, sineladu, banaha. Many thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:53
English to French
language from rwanda Jun 12, 2003

Anne Lee wrote:

My children are learning an African song and I\'ve been asked to find out what it means by the choir teacher. Can anyone identify the language, presumed to be of African origin? There are only 5 words in it. I will happily pay someone to enlighten me on this song, but would not know where to post the job without knowing the language. (I\'ve tried on Kudoz in Swahili, without response. Also tried the Internet).
The words are si si si, dolada, yacu, sineladu, banaha. Many thanks.

Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
Texte en kinyarwanda. Discours prononcé par Léon Mugesera lors d'un meeting du MRND tenu à Kabaya, p Jun 12, 2003

Texte en kinyarwanda. Discours prononcé par Léon Mugesera lors d'un meeting du MRND tenu à Kabaya, préfecture Ruhengeri, nord-ouest du pays, le 22 novembre 1992.
yacu (meaning our) is found in this speech in kinyarwanda
just a clue
Web page address
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rwanda94/sitepers/dosrwand/kabaya.html

[Edited at 2003-06-12 13:22]

[Edited at 2003-06-12 13:40]

kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
banaha ??? Jun 12, 2003

5.Waalssama-i wama banaha

source:
http://www.coran.org.ar/castellano/transliteracion/091.htm

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
dear Albert, Jun 13, 2003

sure there are lots of "yaku" in that speech, but none of the other words…
so kbamert who only found "bahana" might be equally right…

French to German
+ ...
Kinyarwanda Jun 15, 2003

Hello

Message from Africa (from a person having knowledge of Kinyarwanda):

Quote: The words you asked me to translate are not in Kinyarwanda. The only Kinyarwandan word yacu is a misspelling of yaku. It is a line of the song Banaha, which is used for musical education, as you can find when you type in the word "banaha" in the search frame of www.google.uk or whatever country you are from. What language it is I don't know, may be a North American Indian song. There are numerous Indian languages in North America, some of them were used in the Second World War to send American secret messages for military use, because almost nobody could understand them (only a few native Americans)! Following the site www.oup.co.uk/music/educ/voiceworks/voiceworks2/VW2Words1to36 it should be: Si si si, dolada, yaku sine ladu banaha. What it means is not understood by me. Quote

Best regards,

Kurt

French to German
+ ...
banaha? --- Choctaw Language? Jun 15, 2003

Hello

Quote: Among the Choctaw of Tennessee, for instance, banaha, a bread of dried peas and cornmeal wrapped in cornhusks, is not only a source of nutrition but also a reaffirmation of their traditional lifestyle and culture in the face of change.Quote

source:
http://www.pbs.org/riverofsong/music/e3-hogmeat.html

History of recipe: This is traditionally served on special occasions: church meetings, weddings,
funerals, Choctaw festivities.
source:
http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/depts/rural/nrcnaa/pdf/banaha.pdf

Choctaw Language
source:
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mboucher/mikebouchweb/choctaw/clife.htm

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mboucher/mikebouchweb/choctaw/clang1.htm

Regards,

Kurt

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation of song as given by OUP Jul 5, 2003

Oxford University Press have now given me the translation of this song, as I've posted under a different thread.
I still don't know the precise languague, but the song supposedly means
'At the foot of a pineapple tree, Yacu ladles a banana into his aunt red's hat' I wonder whether the aunt red's hat is actually contained in the version of the song I have, but that is less important now.

xxxshashimoon
English
si si si si banaha Sep 25, 2005

I teach world chants. This is one that I teach! I was taught at a spiritual festival in the Uk one summer.

The words I use are:

si si si si banaha, yaku sine ladu banaha

I have no idea of the language, but working with a fellow singer we felt that this chant is most like polynesian chants that we know, and so we felt that these are its roots.

xxxJimBobWalton
English
Congolese anyone...? Nov 17, 2006

Hi

I was taught this song recently,& our teacher said it was a Congolese Folk song where the actual words have all but been lost due the manny different languages/dialects spoken there. We were told that a tranliteration exists but no exact tranlation is possible due to the words becoming mutated phonetically...!

JimBob

xxxJimBobWalton
English
Addition to previous post Nov 17, 2006

See this website for more info :-

http://www.iowachoral.org/district/southeast/banaha.pdf

JimBob

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Proof at last Nov 17, 2006

Thank you very much. I will print off the website page and give it to all the teachers who questioned the wording!

justinb11
English
Banaha Oct 9, 2008

That sing is named "Banaha", and it is congoleese

si si si dolada yacu sineladu banaha May 24, 2012

back in about 1980 i was taught this song after my 'teacher' had come back from a trip to Africa with a passion .. i dont remember the details for where she's been but i remember it led to a full on project about zulu's it' partly stands out because i brought a zulu record in of my mothers and also because i havent stopped singing it for years, which is why i came across this thread whilst trying to find the correct upbeat tempo on youtube of which i havent found as yet xx

Deborah lamb
United States
Si Si Si Congolese song discussion Apr 10, 2015

Coming into this discussion late, I found this link that unfortunately no longer works. Does anyone have the document they could share with me again? Thanks for all the interesting comments and the research. I have been very curious about this one myself!

http://www.iowachoral.org/district/southeast/banaha.pdf

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What language is this: si si si, dolada, yacu, sineladu, banaha ?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs