https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/126146-simplified_vs_traditional_chinese.html

Simplified vs Traditional Chinese
Thread poster: Transcom Global Ltd.
Transcom Global Ltd.
Transcom Global Ltd.
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 28, 2009

Hello,

My question is: Can any translator that speaks chinese translate both from Simplified and Traditional chinese?
That is to say, as a source language - can I assume that anyone who translates from one type of Chinese also translates from the other type?

Thanks!

Nitzan.

Xia29
Xia29  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:53
English to French
+ ...
It depends... Jan 28, 2009

Hello Nitzan,

I think most people who can translate Mandarin Chinese will be able to read both simplified and traditional characters. But of course it will depend on the person. Some people will be more familiar with one type of script than the other, depending on their origin or where they studied Chinese. Most Chinese dictionaries from China indicate entries with both the simplified and the traditional version.

When posting jobs, however, I would still specify if the
... See more
Hello Nitzan,

I think most people who can translate Mandarin Chinese will be able to read both simplified and traditional characters. But of course it will depend on the person. Some people will be more familiar with one type of script than the other, depending on their origin or where they studied Chinese. Most Chinese dictionaries from China indicate entries with both the simplified and the traditional version.

When posting jobs, however, I would still specify if the document is written in simplified or traditional Chinese. Although most translators are likely to be able to read and translate from both, some might be more comfortable with one of the two scripts... so it's better not to assume anything.

I hope this helps,

Lea
Collapse

Transcom Global Ltd.
Transcom Global Ltd.
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 28, 2009

Hi Lea,

Thank you very much for your answer, it was very helpful!

Best regards, Nitzan.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 10:53
Chinese to English
Similar question asked recently ... Jan 29, 2009

Hi TransCom/Nitzan

Have a look here if you are interested ...

http://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/125548-traditional_and_simplified_chinese:_request_for_advice_from_non_chinese_speaker.html

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-01-29 08:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simplified vs Traditional Chinese

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »