Mobile menu

English discourse and cultural situational response
Thread poster: Farzad Akmali

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Feb 24, 2009

Please imagine yourself in the describe situations below. What would you say to the people in each situation(advice) and how would you say that( whispering, in a normal voice, etc)!
Thanks a lot in advance!

1) you are on a plane and talking to your seat mate who is a girl younger than you. You onley each other from a class you attended together several years ago. During your conversation with the girl you understand that she is very concerned about her personal appearance. For example she tells you that she has a very low self-confidence as she feels physically unattractive.

-You say to her:"....."???????????
-how?????????????????????????

2) As you are going home you see Mr.williams, you new neighbor. He tells you he is going to plant some tulip bulbs. As a matter of fact, you like gardening very much and know that tulip bulbs are not planted in this time of the year in your area.

-you say to him:"....."?????????????
-how???????????????????????????

3) You are out walking to the park near your house. you see a boy youger than you who is drinking water from a hose for watering plants. There is even a sign nearby indicating that the water is not drinkable.

-you say to him:"........"???????????
-how?????????????

4) you are in a large department store looking at a display of shirts on sale for 4$ each. you are about to buy some but you change your mind when you notice that they have no buttons or buttonsholes. A girl, the same age as you whom you have never seen before, arrives, sees the shirts and says,"this is really a good price; I'm going to buy several."

-you say to her:".........."??????????
-how???????????????????

5) Today you see Alex, one of your intimate friends,. He tells you that he is on his way to a very important job interview with a company. while he is speaking you notice that his breath smells of garlic and he doesn't seems aware of it.

-you say to him:"............."??????????
-how?????????????????

6) You and Emma, one of your friends who is some years yunger than you are sitting on the bus. Emma tells you thatshe is planning to enroll at a certain language institute. you have previously studied there and believe that it was not a good institute.

-you say to her:"..........."????????
how?????????

7) George one of your very close friends, is going to buy a second-hand computer from another of your classmates at a high price. you believe that the computer is not worth the price George is going to pay.

-you say to George:"........."??????????
-how???????????

8) Late in the evening you and your friend Sarah are waiting for the bus. It is dark and Sarah is trying to read a book eith small font sixe in the poor light of the street lamp.

-you say to her:"............."??????????
how??????????

9) Tom, your brothers friend, is a couple of years older than you. However, Tom and you are very good and close friends. One day as you and Tom are walking in the street, he tells you that he is thinking of taking his car to a repair shop downtown. As a matter of fact, your father had taken a car to this shop soem weeeks ago, was not at all happy for the sloppy job they had done.

-you say to Tom:"............"???????????
how???????????

10) One of your close friends Mary, is overweight. you have seen her occasionally droping into fitness clubs and taking some pills to lose weight. Today, you and Mary go out to grab something to eat. Mary decides to get a hamburger, French fries and a coke. You believe this is not really good for her health and won't help her lose the weight.

-you say to Mary:"............"??????????
how????????

11) You are sharing a house with some other students. one of your roommates is a very hard-working boy younger than you. As you see him working on his assignment late at night, you notice that he looks pale and visibly tired.

-you say to him:"............."??????????
how???????????

12) Liza is one of your friends. she is a postgraduate students and a couple of years older than you. as you two are drinking coffee at the university cafe, she says that she is considering a trip to the North last year at this time, but you could not enjoy the trip as the weather was awful.

-you say to her:".............."??????????????
-how?????????????????????

Direct link Reply with quote

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:16
Spanish to English
Interesting but why? Feb 25, 2009

This looks interesting, Farzad, but it is really a lot of work you asking for, so I would be interested to know why you are asking. That way it might be possible to give you a simpler answer in some way.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Tact - délicatesse! Feb 25, 2009

Dear Farzad,
In most of the situations you describe, tact is the answer. If you feel COMPELLED to tell the person something about what they're doing wrong or unwisely, do it tactfully. In the cases concerning "bad deals" - bad service by a garage mechanic, no buttons on shirts, etc. perhaps tact is not so important and your remarks could be genuinely helpful.
Generally, if someone wants your advice, they'll ask for it.
In the more personal situations - e.g. the girl eating burgers when she says she wants to lose weight, I think your wise words will be ignored anyway. The girl herself must genuinely want to lose weight more than she wants to eat burgers and until she does nothing will make any difference. You could try saying something like "When I decided to lose weight, I cut out all fat, salt, sugar and alcohol and managed to lose a pound every two days". i.e. quote a personal experience of your own. And make an encouraging remark about her improved looks if she does succeed in losing weight.
As to the bad breath problem, I'd find it impossible to tell anyone they had bad breath - don't know why. Perhaps it's because I'm British???
Think about it this way: how would you feel if a friend or friend of a friend kept offering you unsolicited "advice" about this or that thing you were doing or thinking of doing? A bit fed up with them, no?
If you persist in offering this kind of unsolicited advice you might seem like an interfering busybody and end up wondering why you hadn't got any friends!
All the best,
Kindly meant and SOLICITED advice,
Jenny.

[Edited at 2009-02-25 13:10 GMT]

+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I need the exact phrase or sentence you may say in the context and situation Feb 25, 2009

Lesley Clarke wrote:

This looks interesting, Farzad, but it is really a lot of work you asking for, so I would be interested to know why you are asking. That way it might be possible to give you a simpler answer in some way.

Dear Lesley:

Thanks so much, I am to analyze to discourses of the two languages of English and Persian, Could you please give the exact pharses or sentences you may say to each people in the situations, I mean 12 sentences you may say for the 12 situations. I do appreciate it if you would kindly do me the favour. Thanks a lot!

+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I need the exact phrases or sentences you may say in the context and situation Feb 25, 2009

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Dear Farzad,
In most of the situations you describe, tact is the answer. If you feel COMPELLED to tell the person something about what they're doing wrong or unwisely, do it tactfully. In the cases concerning "bad deals" - bad service by a garage mechanic, no buttons on shirts, etc. perhaps tact is not so important and your remarks could be genuinely helpful.
Generally, if someone wants your advice, they'll ask for it.
In the more personal situations - e.g. the girl eating burgers when she says she wants to lose weight, I think your wise words will be ignored anyway. The girl herself must genuinely want to lose weight more than she wants to eat burgers and until she does nothing will make any difference. You could try saying something like "When I decided to lose weight, I cut out all fat, salt, sugar and alcohol and managed to lose a pound every two days". i.e. quote a personal experience of your own. And make an encouraging remark about her improved looks if she does succeed in losing weight.
As to the bad breath problem, I'd find it impossible to tell anyone they had bad breath - don't know why. Perhaps it's because I'm British???
Think about it this way: how would you feel if a friend or friend of a friend kept offering you unsolicited "advice" about this or that thing you were doing or thinking of doing? A bit fed up with them, no? You might end up wondering why you hadn't got any friends!
All the best,
Jenny.

Dear Jenny,

Thanks so much, I am to analyze to discourses of the two languages of English and Persian, Could you please give the exact pharses or sentences you may say to each people in the situations, I mean 12 sentences you may say for the 12 situations. I do appreciate it if you would kindly do me the favour. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Farzad

My Hue McGowran  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 07:16
German to English
Interesting, yes, but why? Feb 25, 2009

Dear Farzad,

These are all potentially interesting situations, but I, like Lesley, would be interested in knowing why you are asking these questions, and are they related to language and translation? I notice that this is not the first time you have posted such questions. Are you doing research for a project? Or are you looking for personal advice?

In any case, descretion in all the situations is required, as well as honesty, integrity - and common sense and compassion would also not go astray.

Good luck!

Mý Huê

chica nueva
Local time: 17:16
Chinese to English
Here goes ... Feb 25, 2009

Hello Farzad

Here is my try. I hope it's helpful. :

1 assuming she looks presentable:
shrug smile,'Don't worry about it.' ; change the subject
2 'Hello Mr Williams! you're planting tulips', ...
3 What are you doing? That water's not safe you might get sick.
4 Have a look at the buttons.
5 Alex. Don't stand too close then. (Gesture)
6 Mmm. Which ones have you considered?
7 I don't think I'd pay that.
8 Look after your eyes.
9 I don't know if I would. (meaningfully)
10 Man, you really want to lose weight. (rhetorical question)
11 Take it easy. You look tired.
12 Oh, I went there last year. The weather wasn't very good.

Very interesting. Is it the same in Persian?

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-02-25 23:09 GMT]

xxxOlaf
Local time: 07:16
English to German
This looks like a homework assignment Feb 26, 2009

Also the answers will most likely be different in the UK, the USA etc.

Olaf

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:16
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Homework? Feb 26, 2009

Olaf wrote:

Olaf

Dear Farzad,
Well, I don't think we Prozies should be asked to do your homework for you, and if we did you wouldn't learn from doing it anyway.
This exercise is a bit like a drama improvision class. Imagine yourself into the given situation. Think what you would say in each case (if anything). I've given you some pointers already when I thought you were asking for advice! Be more direct in the purely practical situations (garage, shirts, etc.) and more delicate and tactful in the personal ones. In the case of the bad breath guy, why not offer him a piece of mint-flavoured chewing gum? (You always carry some with you, of course.)
Best of luck,
Jenny

[Edited at 2009-02-26 07:43 GMT]

+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not a homework Feb 26, 2009

[quote]Jenny Forbes wrote:

Olaf wrote:

Olaf

Dear Farzad,
Well, I don't think we Prozies should be asked to do your homework for you, and if we did you wouldn't learn from doing it anyway.
This exercise is a bit like a drama improvision class. Imagine yourself into the given situation. Think what you would say in each case (if anything). I've given you some pointers already when I thought you were asking for advice! Be more direct in the purely practical situations (garage, shirts, etc.) and more delicate and tactful in the personal ones. In the case of the bad breath guy, why not offer him a piece of mint-flavoured chewing gum? (You always carry some with you, of course.)
Best of luck,
Jenny

[Edited at 2009-02-26 07:43 GMT]

Thank you so much Jenny but I mentioned before that it's not a homework it's just a research on two languages. Anyway thanks a lot for the help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English discourse and cultural situational response

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs