Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Which language is this one? U istorijskom vremenu kada preovlaðuju...
Thread poster: Marcela Serra Piana
Marcela Serra Piana
Marcela Serra Piana
Local time: 00:08
Spanish
+ ...
Dec 1, 2003

A paper I wrote has been translated. Could you please help me to identify which language it is? Thanks!

U istorijskom vremenu kada preovlaðuju jaki trendovi globalizacije, svijet, paradoksalno, prisustvuje ponovnom raðanju nacionalizma koji je uzrok mnogih oružanih sukoba. Takav je sluèaj i sa makedonskim sukobom koji je zapoèeo kada je poèetkom ove godine etnièko-albanska NLA (Narodna oslobodilaèka armija) uzela oružje da ostvari priznavanje prava svog naroda.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
This is Macedonian Dec 1, 2003

Hi Marcela,

This text is written in Macedonian.

HTH,
Marcus

Fulvio Milic
Fulvio Milic  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:08
Italian to Croatian
+ ...
This is Croatian Dec 1, 2003

Belive me, it is my 2nd mother tongue:)

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Actually... Dec 1, 2003

... this is either Bosnian or Montenegrin (target readers from Bosnia or Montenegro). Yes, it is very similar to Croatian, but slight differences make it Bosnian/Montenegrin.

What a confusion for the question poster

Regards,

Seadeta

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:08
English to Croatian
+ ...
Serbian or Bosnian Dec 1, 2003

This is Serbian or Bosnian.

Sorry, Fulvio, but definitely it is not Croatian. And Croatian is my first language.

Cheers!

[Edited at 2003-12-01 12:39]

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
I'll even attempt a *very rough* translation Dec 1, 2003

In an historical time when strong trends of globalization prevail, the world, paradoxically, undergoes through repeated throes of aggressive nationalism which is the cause of many armed conflicts. Such is the occasion in the Macedonian conflict which erupted when the ethnic Albanian NLA (National Freedom Army) took to arms this year to achieve the recognition of the rights of their own people.

I've forgotten the lexical relationship between Macedonian and Western dialect of Serbo-Cr
... See more
In an historical time when strong trends of globalization prevail, the world, paradoxically, undergoes through repeated throes of aggressive nationalism which is the cause of many armed conflicts. Such is the occasion in the Macedonian conflict which erupted when the ethnic Albanian NLA (National Freedom Army) took to arms this year to achieve the recognition of the rights of their own people.

I've forgotten the lexical relationship between Macedonian and Western dialect of Serbo-Croat, but I made use of my knowledge of Serbian (and some Macedonian) to get the gist of the text.

Hope that helps,
Marcus

ps: I guess the native speakers above can't even agree on what it is. Just chalk it up to "Balkanese"!

I think my colleagues above could improve on my translation. Had to go way back to my university courses in Moscow!

[Edited at 2003-12-01 12:55]
Collapse

Kemal Mustajbegovic
English to Croatian
+ ...
Get back to a drawing board Dec 1, 2003

Yes, Marcus, I think it's a very good idea to get back to a drawing board.

Good luck!

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Kemal Dec 1, 2003

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:

Yes, Marcus, I think it's a very good idea to get back to a drawing board.

Good luck!

I've just edited it. Could you have a look now?

Marcus

Kemal Mustajbegovic
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sorry Marcus but... Dec 1, 2003

"ps: I guess the native speakers above can't even agree on what it is. Just chalk it up to "Balkanese"! "

I'm affraid you missed a point.

See you Down Under!

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
I did get the point! Dec 1, 2003

I'm affraid you missed a point.
See you Down Under!

Kemal
I was being facetious. I wanted you to comment on my translation though...
Marcus

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Why not go back to 'srpskohrvatski' here? Dec 1, 2003

It's definitely not Macedonian (totally different), but when I first saw the text, I thought it to be Bosnian or Croatian (and maybe maybe Serbian), but wanted to answer 'srpskohrvatski'.
The latter denomination may not be appreciated by many nowadays (for rather obvious reasons), but 'Serbocroatian' (as defined in earlier days) would IMHO fit rather nicely here.
Maybe we should check the nationality of the translator...

A.Đapo
A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
it could be Bosnian Dec 1, 2003

and probably the version that is used in R. Srpska, because in the Federation version you would say :"historija", not "istorija" and some other examples.
hope it helps

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
IMHO not Serbian... Dec 1, 2003

Marcela Serra wrote:
U istorijskom vremenu kada preovlaðuju jaki trendovi globalizacije, svijet, paradoksalno, prisustvuje ponovnom raðanju nacionalizma koji je uzrok mnogih oružanih sukoba. Takav je sluèaj i sa makedonskim sukobom koji je zapoèeo kada je poèetkom ove godine etnièko-albanska NLA (Narodna oslobodilaèka armija) uzela oružje da ostvari priznavanje prava svog naroda.

I'm not really entitled to this discussion (being only familiar with a few Slavic languages and not speaking any ), but unless Marcela transliterated it (and I don't think it's the case: if she had, she'd been able to identify the language herself!) and assuming rather that she's copied the text, it can't be Serbian as this language is written in Cyrillic alphabet. And Macedonian as well, if I'm not mistaken...

Jarema
Jarema  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:08
Member (2003)
German to Russian
+ ...

It could be really Bosnian Dec 1, 2003

The text is from this page.

www.mediaonline.ba

... armija u Makedoniji Silvana Cecotto, Luciana Pussetto, Marcela Serra U istorijskom
vremenu kada preovlaðuju jaki trendovi globaliz
... See more
The text is from this page.

www.mediaonline.ba

... armija u Makedoniji Silvana Cecotto, Luciana Pussetto, Marcela Serra U istorijskom
vremenu kada preovlaðuju jaki trendovi globalizacije, svijet, paradoksalno ...

www.mediaonline.ba/mediaonline/attach/4626.pdf

And it is Sarajevo. Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Collapse

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
How about calling it BCS? Dec 1, 2003

Marcela Serra wrote:

A paper I wrote has been translated. Could you please help me to identify which language it is? Thanks!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which language is this one? U istorijskom vremenu kada preovlaðuju...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »