Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Jan 2, 2004

The metaphors given below are from Student Essays. I hesitate to give the link as it is a part of adult site. But the metaphors are intersting and I feel that you would enjoy them.
1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.
2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a tumble dryer.
3. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball woul
... See more
The metaphors given below are from Student Essays. I hesitate to give the link as it is a part of adult site. But the metaphors are intersting and I feel that you would enjoy them.
1. Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.
2. His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a tumble dryer.
3. The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn’t.
4. McMurphy fell 12 stories, hitting the pavement like a paper bag filled with vegetable soup.
5. Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair after a sneeze.
6. Her eyes were like two brown circles with big black dots in the centre.
7. Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.
8. He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.
9. The hailstones leaped from the pavement, just like maggots when you fry them in hot grease.
10. Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left York at 6:36 PM traveling at 55 MPH, the other from Peterborough at 4:19 PM at a speed of 35 MPH.
11. The politician was gone but unnoticed, like the full stop after the Dr. on a Dr Pepper can.
12. John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.
13. The thunder was ominous sounding, much like the sound of a thin sheet of metal being shaken backstage during the storm scene in a play.
14. The red brick wall was the color of a brick-red crayon.
15. Even in his last years, Granddad had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long it had rusted shut.
16. Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.
17. The plan was simple, like my mate Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.
18. The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for while.
19. “Oh, Jason, take me!” she panted, her breasts heaving like a student on 31P-a-pint night.
20. He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.
21. Her artistic sense was exquisitely refined, like someone who can tell butter from “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter.”
22. She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.
23. The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a lamppost.
24. The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife’s infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free flashpoint.
25. The dandelion swayed in the gentle breeze like an oscillating electric fan set on medium.
26. It was a working class tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with their power tools.
27. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a dustcart reversing.
28. She was as easy as the Daily Star crossword.
29. She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature British beef.
30. She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.
31. Her voice had that tense, grating quality, like a first-generation thermal paper fax machine that needed a band tightened.
32. It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

Regards and Happy New Year!

N.Raghavan
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
This has been posted before. Jan 4, 2004

See http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&ViewTopic&post=57752#57752

And as I said then, they are NOT metaphors, they are all similes!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Poem on metaphors and similes Jan 14, 2004

Just came across this poem on the subject, which you may like:

VERY LIKE A WHALE

One thing that literature would be greatly the better for
Would be a more restricted employment by the authors of simile and metaphor.
Authors of all races, be they Greeks, Romans, Teutons or Celts,
Can't seem just to say that anything is the thing it is but have to go out of their way to say that it is like something else.
What does it mean when we are told
Th
... See more
Just came across this poem on the subject, which you may like:

VERY LIKE A WHALE

One thing that literature would be greatly the better for
Would be a more restricted employment by the authors of simile and metaphor.
Authors of all races, be they Greeks, Romans, Teutons or Celts,
Can't seem just to say that anything is the thing it is but have to go out of their way to say that it is like something else.
What does it mean when we are told
That that Assyrian came down like a wolf on the fold?
In the first place, George Gordon Byron had enough experience
To know that it probably wasn't just one Assyrian, it was a lot of Assyrians.
However, as too many arguments are apt to induce apoplexy and thus hinder longevity.
We'll let it pass as one Assyrian for the sake of brevity.
Now then, this particular Assyrian, the one whose cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold,
Just what does the poet mean when he says he came down like a wolf on the fold?
In heaven and earth more than is dreamed of in our philosophy there are great many things.
But I don't imagine that among them there is a wolf with purple and gold cohorts or purple and gold anythings.
No, no, Lord Byron, before I'll believe that this Assyrian was actually like a wolf I must have some kind of proof;
Did he run on all fours and did he have a hairy tail and a big red mouth and big white teeth and did he say Woof Woof?
Frankly I think it is very unlikely, and all you were entitled to say, at the very most,
Was that the Assyrian cohorts came down like a lot of Assyrian cohorts about to destroy the Hebrew host.
But that wasn't fancy enough for Lord Byron, oh dear me no, he had to invent a lot of figures of speech and then interpolate them,
With the result that whenever you mention Old Testament soldiers to people they say Oh yes, they're the ones that a lot of wolves dressed up in gold and purple ate them.
That's the kind of thing that's being done all the time by poets, from Homer to Tennyson;
They're always comparing ladies to lilies and veal to venison,
And they always say things like that the snow is a white blanket after a winter storm.
Oh it is, is it, all right then, you sleep under a six-inch blanket of snow and I'll sleep under a half-inch blanket of unpoetical blanket material and we'll see which one keeps warm,
And after that maybe you'll begin to comprehend dimly
What I mean by too much metaphor and simile.

-- Ogden Nash

[Edited at 2004-01-14 19:28]
Collapse

nyamuk
nyamuk
United States
Local time: 05:04
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Other accidental language Jan 19, 2004

Seen on a van in Singapore "Tak Sing Enterprise"

Read in a student paper "On weekends I enjoy skying a kite."

Read in a student paper "He came to a screeching hault at the traffic light and collapsed over the wheel, overcome by jaundiceleration."

Seen outside a barber shop in Bali "Thank you for your come."

Witnessed in primary school "If you come up to me at the end of the year and say 'Missus Barnes I ain't learned nothing in school' I'm comi
... See more
Seen on a van in Singapore "Tak Sing Enterprise"

Read in a student paper "On weekends I enjoy skying a kite."

Read in a student paper "He came to a screeching hault at the traffic light and collapsed over the wheel, overcome by jaundiceleration."

Seen outside a barber shop in Bali "Thank you for your come."

Witnessed in primary school "If you come up to me at the end of the year and say 'Missus Barnes I ain't learned nothing in school' I'm coming right back at you and saying 'whos fault is that?'
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Metaphors from Student Essays

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »