Mobile menu

Theory of translation
Thread poster: lien

Local time: 03:10
English to French
+ ...
Jan 21, 2004

"Becoming A Translator, An Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Translation" by Douglas Robinson

Do someone know this book and what do you think of it ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:10
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
I have the book Jan 21, 2004

And it gives useful and practical insights into the world of translation and starting up as a translator. Although I would not class it as an academic book.

Kind regards

Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
Member (2003)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Worth reading... Jan 26, 2004

I read this book when I was training to become a translator and while it doesn't cover lots of translation theory, it's still a useful book. I'm not sure how relevant it is to people who are already working in the (freelance) translation field, however it may be interesting to read to see if you've left any bases uncovered as he touches on most aspects of the business.

Personally, I've liked everything that I've read about translation by Douglas Robinson, particularly his book about taboo in translation; it's highly thought provoking. His style of writing is quite accessible and I suppose this book (theory and practice...) may well serve as a useful reference. In any case, it's most definitely worth reading if you are new to translation.
I hope that helps,

[Edited at 2004-01-26 09:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Theory of translation

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs