Thread poster: Aurora Humarán
Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 27, 2004

Food for thought:

"While the value of the notion of fidelity is at an all-time high in the audiovisual media, its stocks are considerably lower in the domains of marital mores and theories of translation. It almost seems as though the stereo, the Betamax, and the Xerox have taken over the duty of faithfulness in reproduction, leaving the texts and the sexes with nothing to do but disseminate."

"Taking Fidelity Philosophically" - Barbara Johnson

Direct link Reply with quote

Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:47
English to Italian
It just drives me mad Jul 27, 2004

I can't but agree,

my job involves a lot of proofing/ editing and I always have to wrestle with translators that just believe to be authors.

It's embarassing to notice how the worst examples seem to come from Italy. Without generalising, most of the times the Italian wildly departs from the original. On the other hand Spaniards seem to do an effort to stick to the original, even reproducing its ambiguities.
(I usually solve this by retranslating from Spanish

Am I just unluky or there is a difference in how translation is taught in these two countries?

Cheers!

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:47
German to Italian
+ ...
Wow! Jul 27, 2004

Interesting point, Aurora. Thank God I'm not married

Gabriela Mejías  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fidelity.... is taught in Argentina as... Jul 29, 2004

...una mujer bella (good looking man, in my case!) pero infiel... o le sos fiel a las palabras e infiel al sentido... o viceversa... I don't know up to what extent it is true... I think we translators can, must! find a way...but...how??? Shall we ever find the way?

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
¿Será... Jul 29, 2004

...que es más fácil serle fiel a un texto que a la pareja????

Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:47
German to English
+ ...
More food.... Jan 16, 2005

You will often find on KudoZ that people will suggest completely unfaithful translations (offering little or no justification for the divergence, even if they do notice it), and these are often rewarded by the asker, even though there are perfectly acceptable faithful translations on offer.

In particular, you will see people suggest inoffensive substitutes for an accurate translation, where the original is not only offensive but clearly intended to be so. And similarly we see attempts to make the text more "politically correct". To me, both these represent a total abdication of professional integrity.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About fidelity (food for thought)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs