Mobile menu

Language differences (Du in Belg/Neth and It in Ita/Switz)
Thread poster: Bertrand Bonaventure
Bertrand Bonaventure
Local time: 11:55
English to French
+ ...
Sep 23, 2004

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if there is big differences between Dutch spoken in Belgium and in the Netherlands, and if translation needs to be adapt for each country?
The same applies for Italian spoken in Italy and Switzerland.
Thanks for your help,

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-23 19:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
See Sep 23, 2004

Hi Bertrand,

A few months again there was an interesting discussion on the differences between Flemish and Dutch on this forum:

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Dutch <> Flemish: hard to say, ask your client Sep 23, 2004

Belgian Dutch is Flemish, but it differs only occasionally from Hollands (Dutch Dutch): the grammar is the same, but some expressions differ and could mutually be misunderstood.
I'm living in The Netherlands and working on a huge project for a Flemish power plant, without knowing the ins and outs of Flemish. My client asks me to translate into Dutch.

In case a client asks me to translate into Flemish, I immediatelly reply "no, I don't manage Flemish", so it's up to my client to decide whether my Dutch would satisfy.

Linguistically, the difference is a minor one, but you could step a Belgian or Dutch(wo)man on his/her toes when you submit the "wrong" language, because it's actually a culture difference.
The only solution is to ask your client. Flemish is never accepted in Holland, whereas some Belgian always like to stick to Felmish and others like to abolish the difference for business language.

Last year a Dutchman who lives for three years in the Flemish city of Antwerp was beat up because the Felmisch didn't want his "Hollands". So be careful, they know where to find you when you'd choose the wrong language.
Generally, Flemish like to be careful on their language. They feel it's endangered on two sides: French in the south and Hollands in the north. Probably the past contributed to this tenacity: in WWI some Flemish soldiers died, solely due to the fact they didn't understand the commands from their superiors, who all belonged tot he upper class and spoke French.

Some informative websites:

[Edited at 2004-09-23 10:00]

United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian Sep 23, 2004

The main difference between Italian and Swiss Italian is terminology in fields like
- accountancy
- law
- medicine (to some extent)

as Swiss Italian tends to be heavily influenced by German (many terms are translated straight from German and may not make much sense to a non-Swiss). On the contrary, I can't think of stylistic differences, except perhaps that, IMO, Swiss Italian hasn't been taken over by English yet, compared to Italian spoken in Italy.

So I think that the need for adaptation would depend on the type of text and its target audience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language differences (Du in Belg/Neth and It in Ita/Switz)

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs