Do all languages have abbreviations and acronyms?
Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 22:54
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Jan 22, 2015

I've seen abbreviations and acronyms in all major European languages with Latin alphabets. I was just wondering if you can abbreviate words in Russian, Chinese or Arabic. What about languages with no written alphabet?

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:54
Chinese to French
+ ...
Chinese does Jan 22, 2015

The language is able to shorten concepts/names, of usually 4 characters or more (I guess 3 isn't impossible, just hardly necessary).

A simple example would be:
北京 (Beijing) 大学 (University)
which becomes
北大 (first character of both words)

The association of 北 + 大 carries no meaning in my knowledge, but out of convention, everyone knows it points to Beijing University, as surely as MIT means Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
... See more
The language is able to shorten concepts/names, of usually 4 characters or more (I guess 3 isn't impossible, just hardly necessary).

A simple example would be:
北京 (Beijing) 大学 (University)
which becomes
北大 (first character of both words)

The association of 北 + 大 carries no meaning in my knowledge, but out of convention, everyone knows it points to Beijing University, as surely as MIT means Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

I guess Russian and Arabic will follow a logic closer to our alphabet. But I'm curious to know.

[Edited at 2015-01-22 05:39 GMT]
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:54
Chinese to English
Chinese certainly does Jan 22, 2015

Many words in Chinese are two or more characters long, and so long names can be abbreviated. Don't know if your browser will be able to see these characters but here's an example

厦门大学 Xiamen Daxue - Xiamen University, the top university in the city where I live
Becomes 厦大 Xia Da

At least some other varieties of Chinese do the same thing, and they are mostly non-written. Minnanhua/Taiwanese, the local version of Chinese, doesn't really have a written
... See more
Many words in Chinese are two or more characters long, and so long names can be abbreviated. Don't know if your browser will be able to see these characters but here's an example

厦门大学 Xiamen Daxue - Xiamen University, the top university in the city where I live
Becomes 厦大 Xia Da

At least some other varieties of Chinese do the same thing, and they are mostly non-written. Minnanhua/Taiwanese, the local version of Chinese, doesn't really have a written version, but it does contractions in basically the same way as Mandarin.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:54
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Russian does Jan 22, 2015

There are abbreviations and acronyms in Cyrillic (Russian) just as in Latin-alphabet languages.
We routinely use transliterations of many of them.
USSR is CCCP - Союз Советских Социалистических Республик.
KGB is КГБ - Комитет Государственной Безопасности.
Cheka is Чека or ЧК - Чрезвычайный Комитет.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Not popular in Finnish Jan 22, 2015

It is possible to use acronyms, but they work only for very common things like YK (UN). Acronyms are much rarer than in English or German. One reason is, that about half of Finnish nouns have "K" as first letter. But we use short forms which are easy to pronounce to Finnish speakers like Supo (Security police) or Kela (the state pension system). Acronyms are easier acceptable if they are readable as a word like ELY, but there are a some in use that are pronounced as single letters (SAK, STTK, ST... See more
It is possible to use acronyms, but they work only for very common things like YK (UN). Acronyms are much rarer than in English or German. One reason is, that about half of Finnish nouns have "K" as first letter. But we use short forms which are easy to pronounce to Finnish speakers like Supo (Security police) or Kela (the state pension system). Acronyms are easier acceptable if they are readable as a word like ELY, but there are a some in use that are pronounced as single letters (SAK, STTK, STT).Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:54
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Japanese is similar Jan 22, 2015

Phil Hand wrote:
Becomes 厦大 Xia Da

Japanese love abbreviating longer words and phrases. To borrow Phil's example, Tokyo University -> Tōkyō Daigaku (東京大学) -> often referred to as "Tōdai" (東大).

Dan

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 04:54
German to English
+ ...
Persian apparently does Jan 22, 2015

see:
http://persian.nmelrc.org/pvc/sentences.php?tag=1077

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:24
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hindi has abbreviations, too Jan 22, 2015

In Hindi we have abbreviations. For example Bharatiya Janata Party is abbreviated variably as भाजपा or बीजेपी.

The former is made up of the first letters of the Hindi expanded term, and the second is made up of the English first letters (B, J, and P) written in Hindi script.

Although the former method is linguistically and aesthetically more elegant, it is followed for only a few terms which have established Hindi abbreviations. For all others, the
... See more
In Hindi we have abbreviations. For example Bharatiya Janata Party is abbreviated variably as भाजपा or बीजेपी.

The former is made up of the first letters of the Hindi expanded term, and the second is made up of the English first letters (B, J, and P) written in Hindi script.

Although the former method is linguistically and aesthetically more elegant, it is followed for only a few terms which have established Hindi abbreviations. For all others, the current trend seems to be to write the English abbreviation in Hindi script.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do all languages have abbreviations and acronyms?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »