Worth reading.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 02:19
German to English
+ ...
Brilliant! Jan 18, 2005

I love it! Totally best of breed, if you ask me! Let's grow our jargon usage, drive the granularity of our translations. Scalable bricks-and-clicks translations are the key. Transitioning to a user-centric mentality, with a client buy-in. Then we know we own the paradigm shift.

Sheilann
Sheilann  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Excellent article Jan 18, 2005

Anecdotic, easy reading and all too true, and we translators can do something to tone it down. I see Marian Greenfield was also quoted.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
It's not anecdotic... Jan 18, 2005

Sheilann wrote:

Anecdotic, easy reading and all too true, and we translators can do something to tone it down. I see Marian Greenfield was also quoted.

Do you know, how many of them are to be translated each day? I'm always asking myself, who are all the people producing all the stuff? Do they have whipped cream between the ears instead of brain?

Regards
Andrzej

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
This is the dilbertiz(s)ation of language Jan 18, 2005

The mission statement generator, bull!@#$ bingo and other things on the web are made up of this stuff.

It's about people who pretend they know what they are talking about and people who pretend to understand when they listen.

I think that language, by exploding with new words, meanings and terms is, paradoxically, becoming impoverished. This kind of watery blather has increasingly more volume and less meaning - like almost everything around us.
I am slowly becomin
... See more
The mission statement generator, bull!@#$ bingo and other things on the web are made up of this stuff.

It's about people who pretend they know what they are talking about and people who pretend to understand when they listen.

I think that language, by exploding with new words, meanings and terms is, paradoxically, becoming impoverished. This kind of watery blather has increasingly more volume and less meaning - like almost everything around us.
I am slowly becoming alienated (meaning: old) from what is going on around me. I dread the moment in the board room when I interpret and someone begins to speak like this, because my brain overheats in a matter of minutes and the meeting's only a quarter of the way through.
Television commercials don't get through to me. What's left?

I'm going to the fridge to see if I can find a ready meal solution.

Good night
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Helmet80
Helmet80
Local time: 01:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Corporacy Jan 19, 2005

I just love business jargon - this word was invented by a company I used to work for. Part of every departmental plan was 'Promote the embedment[sic] of corporacy'.

It means to make sure all sites function the same way (corporacy meaning that all sites operate in exactly the same way as directed by senior management).. why could they have not said that instead???

remyrosf
remyrosf
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Excerpt Jan 19, 2005

Here is an excerpt from a text I'm translating right now:

In today's business climate, IT organizations are being asked to simplify complexity.

A huge task indeed!

Regards

Remy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Business jargon

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »