Mobile menu

Bosnian punctuation
Thread poster: WorldLinkTech
Local time: 05:06
+ ...
Mar 2, 2005

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but,

We recently got a document translated into Bosnian and we noticed there were no spaces between a ',' (comma) and the next word

For example: test,test,test

When we asked our translator she stated this was correct in Bosnian, we have noticed that the lack of space is not consistent,

Can somebody let me know if in Bosnian it is correct NOT to have a space after a comma and if the comma may be used in place of a '/' to separate words?

Thank you,

Direct link Reply with quote

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
English to Croatian
+ ...
Comma Mar 2, 2005

As far as I know, and I've been translating Bosnian for years, after each comma must come a space, i.e. test, test, test

Also, after ; and after . a space must be there.

If translating from English and there's a slash / then the Bosnian should follow the original and use / instead of a comma to separate words.

Good luck!

Amra Đapo (damra)  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 14:06
Partial member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Comma Mar 3, 2005

I agree with Seadeta.
I live in Bosnia and according to our punctuation rules,
after comma one has to put a space. test, test, test,
Same goes for full stops. Word. Word.
If "/" is in the original text, then it also should be used in the translation, as simple as that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bosnian punctuation

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs