Thread poster: WorldLinkTech
WorldLinkTech
Local time: 11:05
English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2005

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but,

We recently got a document translated into Bosnian and we noticed there were no spaces between a ',' (comma) and the next word

For example: test,test,test

When we asked our translator she stated this was correct in Bosnian, we have noticed that the lack of space is not consistent,

Can somebody let me know if in Bosnian it is correct NOT to have a space after a comma and if the comma may be used in place of a '/' to separate words?

Thank you,

Direct link Reply with quote

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 19:05
English to Croatian
+ ...
Comma Mar 2, 2005

As far as I know, and I've been translating Bosnian for years, after each comma must come a space, i.e. test, test, test

Also, after ; and after . a space must be there.

If translating from English and there's a slash / then the Bosnian should follow the original and use / instead of a comma to separate words.

Good luck!

Seadeta

A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:05
Partial member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Comma Mar 3, 2005

I agree with Seadeta.
I live in Bosnia and according to our punctuation rules,
after comma one has to put a space. test, test, test,
Same goes for full stops. Word. Word.
If "/" is in the original text, then it also should be used in the translation, as simple as that.
Regards
Amra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bosnian punctuation

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs