WorldLinkTech
WorldLinkTech
Local time: 23:39
English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2005

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but,

We recently got a document translated into Bosnian and we noticed there were no spaces between a ',' (comma) and the next word

For example: test,test,test

When we asked our translator she stated this was correct in Bosnian, we have noticed that the lack of space is not consistent,

Can somebody let me know if in Bosnian it is correct NOT to have a space after a comma and
... See more
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but,

We recently got a document translated into Bosnian and we noticed there were no spaces between a ',' (comma) and the next word

For example: test,test,test

When we asked our translator she stated this was correct in Bosnian, we have noticed that the lack of space is not consistent,

Can somebody let me know if in Bosnian it is correct NOT to have a space after a comma and if the comma may be used in place of a '/' to separate words?

Thank you,
Collapse

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 07:39
English to Croatian
+ ...
Comma Mar 2, 2005

As far as I know, and I've been translating Bosnian for years, after each comma must come a space, i.e. test, test, test

Also, after ; and after . a space must be there.

If translating from English and there's a slash / then the Bosnian should follow the original and use / instead of a comma to separate words.

Good luck!

Seadeta

A.Đapo
A.Đapo  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 07:39
Member (2007)
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Comma Mar 3, 2005

I agree with Seadeta.
I live in Bosnia and according to our punctuation rules,
after comma one has to put a space. test, test, test,
Same goes for full stops. Word. Word.
If "/" is in the original text, then it also should be used in the translation, as simple as that.
Regards
Amra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bosnian punctuation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »