Moroccan arabic
Thread poster: shlomitl80
shlomitl80
shlomitl80
English
May 16, 2005

Hello,

I would like to ask if Moroccan is written differently then Arabic. I know it is an Arabic dialect but is the script different also?

Thanks,
Shlomit.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 23:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Written Arabic = Modern Standrad Arabic (MSA) (FuSha) May 16, 2005

Greetings.

Re the query whether a text in Arabic is written/printed in a form different for for a Moroccan readership

The answer is no.

Written Arabic is rendered and displayed in a form commonly called "Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) or "Formal Arabic" (FuSha).

FWIW, several jobs posted on < proz.com > by translation firms included a requirement that the English text be translated and word-processed into "Moroccan Arabic" (and also French for a
... See more
Greetings.

Re the query whether a text in Arabic is written/printed in a form different for for a Moroccan readership

The answer is no.

Written Arabic is rendered and displayed in a form commonly called "Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) or "Formal Arabic" (FuSha).

FWIW, several jobs posted on < proz.com > by translation firms included a requirement that the English text be translated and word-processed into "Moroccan Arabic" (and also French for a couple of jobs). The clients were apparently unaware of the major languages of communication in that country and of the differences between Arabic colloquial dialects and the formal written style. (The situation may equate to a New York-based firm's wanting a text to be translated and word-processed into "California English" or "Texas English" for targeted readerships there.)

Hope this helps.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 23:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Written Arabic = Modern Standrad Arabic (MSA) (FuSha) May 16, 2005

Greetings.

Re the query whether a text in Arabic is written/printed in a different / distinctive script for a Moroccan readership

The answer is no.

FWIW, several jobs posted on < proz.com > by translation firms included a requirement that the English text be translated and word-processed into "Moroccan Arabic" (and also F
... See more
Greetings.

Re the query whether a text in Arabic is written/printed in a different / distinctive script for a Moroccan readership

The answer is no.

FWIW, several jobs posted on < proz.com > by translation firms included a requirement that the English text be translated and word-processed into "Moroccan Arabic" (and also French for a couple of jobs). The clients were apparently unaware of the major languages of communication in that country and of the differences between Arabic colloquial dialects and the formal written style. (The situation may equate to a New York-based firm's wanting a text to be translated and word-processed into "California English" or "Texas English" for targeted readerships there.)

Hope this helps.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

(This may be a duplicate post, so apologies to all in advance.)
Collapse

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 09:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
Standard Arabic May 16, 2005

Arabic is written in standard Arabic despite the dialects.
So, whether it be in Morocco or in Yemen it is written in standard Arabic.
Regards!

Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:17
English to Arabic
+ ...
no May 16, 2005

Dear Shlomit,
Arabic is arabic, there is no Moroccan arabic, maybe a moroccan dialect but it cant be called Moroccan arabic. Written arabic is all the same wherever you go, what differs is the different dialects and accents in different arab countries.I for instance cant understand spoken Moroccan, but if I read a book in Morocco its going to be written in the same language in which books are written in all arab countries which is standard arabic. Arab dialects, in many cases, cannot be wr
... See more
Dear Shlomit,
Arabic is arabic, there is no Moroccan arabic, maybe a moroccan dialect but it cant be called Moroccan arabic. Written arabic is all the same wherever you go, what differs is the different dialects and accents in different arab countries.I for instance cant understand spoken Moroccan, but if I read a book in Morocco its going to be written in the same language in which books are written in all arab countries which is standard arabic. Arab dialects, in many cases, cannot be written.

shlomitl80 wrote:

Hello,

I would like to ask if Moroccan is written differently then Arabic. I know it is an Arabic dialect but is the script different also?

Thanks,
Shlomit.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:17
English to French
No written "Moroccan Arabic" May 16, 2005

Hello all,
Indeed, "Moroccan Arabic" is a dialect (derija) that is only spoken and any Moroccan publication is written in classical Arabic (fos'ha), Morocco's official language.
Although technically the Moroccan dialect can be written using the Arabic alphabet (all sounds are in there), it is not. Even most booklets to learn Moroccan teach you the Arabic alphabet, but... write Moroccan using the latin alphabet.
As a non-Arabic foreigner in Morocco, I was surprised to learn th
... See more
Hello all,
Indeed, "Moroccan Arabic" is a dialect (derija) that is only spoken and any Moroccan publication is written in classical Arabic (fos'ha), Morocco's official language.
Although technically the Moroccan dialect can be written using the Arabic alphabet (all sounds are in there), it is not. Even most booklets to learn Moroccan teach you the Arabic alphabet, but... write Moroccan using the latin alphabet.
As a non-Arabic foreigner in Morocco, I was surprised to learn that the spoken language is very different from the written language. When you are literate in Morocco, you are also bilingual: one language to talk to your grocer or colleague at work, and another one to read Arabic-written local newspapers and communicate with any other (literate) citizen from an Arab country.
It is not about language differences like Canadian French and French French.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moroccan arabic

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »