Thread poster: A Hayes
A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 21:06
Jan 13, 2006

Teenage girls so, like, rule English
John Harlow and Dan Box
January 09, 2006
THE teenage girl is the most powerful influence on the evolution of the English language around the world.

According to new research, the typical 16-year-old girl -- armed with a mobile phone and a wide circle of friends -- has ensured the success of new phrases such as "muffin top" (a bulge of flesh over low-cut jeans) and "whale tail" (the appearance of a g-string above the waistband of a skirt or trousers).

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17764965%5E29677,00.html

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
French to English
Whatever Jan 13, 2006

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
which in mobile talk is..... Jan 13, 2006

Charlie Bavington wrote:

W E:D

Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Couldn't be teenage boys... Jan 13, 2006

On the other hand, at least here in the UK, they seem to spend most of their time using grunts as a means of communication as opposed to intelligible words or coherent sentences

I wonder what the situation is like in other English-speaking countries!

[Edited at 2006-01-13 12:37]

Thierry Renon  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:06
English to French
+ ...
yeah, but no, but yeah, but no Jan 13, 2006

(don't give me no evils)

Ford Prefect  Identity Verified
Burkina Faso
German to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2006

At the end of the day when the cows come home it's like, you know.

Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2006

I SO can't believe you just said that, but am I bovvered? But then there's like, this whole other thing or summin or nuffin as well...

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 03:06
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
LOL Jan 13, 2006

Aisha Maniar wrote:

Couldn't be teenage boys...[Edited at 2006-01-13 12:37]

Teenage boys got stuck on the "duuuude" some time ago, at least around here!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:06
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 13, 2006

That's like, soooooo, worrying.

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
like and the like Jan 14, 2006

We kind of like discussed "like" in an old thread in this forum. It was like a couple of years ago.

Here it is: http://www.proz.com/topic/16293

[Edited at 2006-01-14 00:14]

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 07:06
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maynard G. Krebs, please call home. Jan 14, 2006

"Like, like." What a thing to preserve from US 50s culture! Or does it go back farther than that?

Don't forget the use of "like" in lieu of "quote...unquote":

So then I'm like no you can't and she's like I'm gonna and I'm like, whatever! and she's like that is sooooo 5 minutes ago and I'm like yeah?

And Maria, thanks for pointing us to the previous forum. Sometimes people are like, we already discussed this before, dude, like it's sooooo stewpid to discuss it again, with different people. Your way is better: we can enjoy the new discussion and the old one, too! That's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it....

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
stop it, you guys... Jan 14, 2006

OMG, you are SO busted!

xxxsarahl
Local time: 03:06
English to French
+ ...
This is like Jan 14, 2006

so totally you know like... get a grip!

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
he he Jan 14, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:
And Maria, thanks for pointing us to the previous forum. Sometimes people are like, we already discussed this before, dude, like it's sooooo stewpid to discuss it again, with different people. Your way is better: we can enjoy the new discussion and the old one, too! That's the way (uh huh, uh huh) I like it....

Yeah, I kinda like meant "you gotta see the old thread, guys, it's sooooooo funny".
And now back to work cause it's, like, 8 am already (is it 8 or isn't it? That is the question!). Staying in today because it's like sooooooooo cold in Boston, so I thought... whatever, I might as well like stay in and work.

Have a good weekend
Maria

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Heard of the Chav Nativity Play ? Jan 14, 2006

Just before Christmas, my daughter came home from school with the following. the Chav Nativity Play can be found on the Internet, but here is a copy - strictly for linguistic purposes.

-----------
So there's this bird called Mary, yeah?

She's a virgin (wossat then?) She's not married or nuffink, but she's got this boyfriend, Joe, innit? He does joinery an' that. Mary lives with him in a crib dahn Nazaref.

One day Mary meets this bloke Gabriel. She's like `Oo ya lookin at?' Gabriel just goes 'You got one up the duff, you have.' Mary's totally gobsmacked. She gives it to him large 'Stop dissin' me yeah? I ain't no Kappa-slapper. I never bin wiv no one!'

So Mary goes and sees her cousin Liz, who's six months gone herself. Liz is largin' it. She's filled with spirits, Barcardi Breezers an' that. She's like 'Orright, Mary, I can feel me bay-bee in me tummy and I reckon I'm well blessed. Think of all the extra benefits an' that we are gonna get.' Mary goes 'Yeah, s'pose you're right' Mary an' Joe ain't got no money so they have to ponse a donkey, an' go dahn Bethlehem on that.
They get to this pub an' Mary wants to stop, yeah? To have her bay-bee an' that. But there ain't no room at the inn, innit?

So Mary an' Joe break an' enter into this garridge, only it's filled wiv animals. Cahs an' sheep an' that.

Then these three geezers turn up, looking proper bling, wiv crowns on their 'eds. They're like 'Respect, bay-bee Jesus', an' say they're wise men from the East End. Joe goes: 'If you're so wise, wotchoo doin' wiv this Frankenstein an' myrrh? Why dincha just bring gold, Adidas and Burberry?'

It's all about to kick off when Gabriel turns up again an' sez he's got another message from this Lord geezer. He's like 'The police is comin an' they're killin all the bay-bees. You better nash off to Egypt.' Joe goes 'You must be monged if you think I'm goin' dahn Egypt on a minging donkey'
Gabriel sez 'Suit yerself, pal. But it's your look out if you stay.'

So they go dahn Egypt till they've stopped killin the first-born an' it's safe an' that.
Then Joe and Mary and Jesus go back to Nazaref, an' Jesus turns water into Stella.

-----------

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teenage girls so, like, rule English

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs