https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/42745-linguistics_survey_for_native_english_speakers_mscthesis.html

Linguistics Survey for Native English Speakers - M.Sc.Thesis
Thread poster: rieley
rieley
rieley
English
Feb 17, 2006

I thought that this might be a good place to look for some help. I am a student in the Netherlands doing Neurolinguistic research. Before I start my lab work I need to have 30 native English speakers fill out a survey. It is 6 pages and shouldn't take more then 30 minutes. They are fill in the blank questions, and you should fill in the first thing that comes to mind If anyone has the time, it would be most appreciated. If you don... See more
I thought that this might be a good place to look for some help. I am a student in the Netherlands doing Neurolinguistic research. Before I start my lab work I need to have 30 native English speakers fill out a survey. It is 6 pages and shouldn't take more then 30 minutes. They are fill in the blank questions, and you should fill in the first thing that comes to mind If anyone has the time, it would be most appreciated. If you don't have time perhaps you can forward the link to a friend or family member. Here is the link:
http://www.travischoma.com/phpESP/public/survey.php?name=ling_survey_2
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:22
Italian to English
+ ...
think I got a bit fixated with "cake"... Feb 17, 2006

!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:22
German to English
Grammar problems in the examples Feb 17, 2006

You might review some of the phrases. Several were not at all grammatical.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
French to English
And me with pies ! Feb 17, 2006

Word of warning, it's probably *ideally* suited to AE rather than BE speakers - I saw the 'question' about "summer camp" and my brain just froze up. I had to leave it blank in the end, 'cos the instructions are not to think too hard about it. Similarly, I'm not sure my responses to "thanksgiving" and "quarterback" are necessarily of much value...

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spoilers--don't read if you haven't taken the survey but plan to. Feb 17, 2006

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Word of warning, it's probably *ideally* suited to AE rather than BE speakers

I thought the same when I saw "football." Which--"American" football or soccer?

The hardest question for me was about the teacher who finished something at summer school. With the article "an" preceding the blank I couldn't come up with anything but "apple." Duh. My first thought was "refresher course" but it didn't fit with "an."

Fun! Oddly enough, I fixated on "canapes."

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
been there done that Feb 17, 2006

...so far looks like you have 3 replies:-)

g'luck:-)

cello
cello  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
thanks for the karma Feb 17, 2006

Just what I need right now, after an afternoon without internet and having to start three times (it went just as I was filling in the second page.

Lots of luck,

Linda

Linda 969
Linda 969
Italian to English
+ ...
curious about the study Feb 17, 2006

Thanks for the karma points;-)
How about telling us what this is all about once the project is over ?

Linda

rieley
rieley
English
TOPIC STARTER
Motivation for survey Feb 17, 2006

Hi Linda,

Sure, I'd be happy to explain the project after the survey is finished. I will post a short description on Monday or Tuesday. I would be happy to forward the research report to anyone who is interested. It should be available by the end of May.

Best regards,
-Travis

Linda Battistuzzi wrote:

Thanks for the karma points;-)
How about telling us what this is all about once the project is over ?

Linda

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
French to English
You prob'ly shouldn't read this either if you're planning to do it Feb 18, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

The hardest question for me was about the teacher who finished something at summer school. With the article "an" preceding the blank I couldn't come up with anything but "apple."

Was it "summer school" not "summer camp"?
Ah well, I probably still woulda been stumped - after a few seconds I couldn't think of any words beginning with a vowel at all

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Assignment & Lasagna Feb 18, 2006

I became fixiated with this word, also worked well with the summer camp question. Also with the food-related questions I became fixiated with Italian cuisine, but that's nothing new.

The original poster as a courtesy owes an explanation to those who took the time out to fill the survey.

Good luck

[Edited at 2006-02-18 09:35]

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Missing verbs Feb 18, 2006

A few of my answers were relatively long because some fragments were missing the verb, which I then supplied according to my own preferences.

Good luck with your project! I would also be interested in the results.

rieley
rieley
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Feb 21, 2006

Wow, what a huge response! Thank you to everyon who took the time to fill out the survey. The point of the study is to measure the EEG signal elicited by sentences like:

The student started the book. (where the action is implied)

vs sentences like,

The student read the book. (where the action is explicit)

It is thought that in order to understand sentences of the first type an extra operation is needed to fill in the missing action. It
... See more
Wow, what a huge response! Thank you to everyon who took the time to fill out the survey. The point of the study is to measure the EEG signal elicited by sentences like:

The student started the book. (where the action is implied)

vs sentences like,

The student read the book. (where the action is explicit)

It is thought that in order to understand sentences of the first type an extra operation is needed to fill in the missing action. It has been shown previously that there is more "processing load" for these types of sentences via eye-tracking studies. I am seeking to establish a more detailed account of this observation by studying ERP signals. In general this will lead to a better understanding of how meaning is computed in the brain.
The behavioral surveys are intended to control for other explanations for the experimental data.

If anyone wants a copy of the final report I would be happy to send it along. It should be completed on June 1st. Just send an email to [email protected] if you would like to receive a copy.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linguistics Survey for Native English Speakers - M.Sc.Thesis

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »