Mavericker (X)
English
Feb 22, 2006

Hello. What is Irish and Scottish English slang for:

tomboy
hoiden
spirited female
pert girl

Besides "eirog (Irish)" and "Giglet(Scottish)"?

Can I assume that the Britishisms and British slang that is used is used in these countries as well?

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 18:15
Get this book Feb 22, 2006

Hi Mavericker,

Just wondering, but haven't you already posted these Qs in Kudoz and in IrishGaelicTranslator.com?

I would **strongly** suggest you buy Terry Dolan's Dictionary of Hiberno English (http://www.hiberno-english.com/) as it is very comprehensive, well-researched and should meet all your needs.

BTW - terminology questions are supposed to be posted in the
... See more
Hi Mavericker,

Just wondering, but haven't you already posted these Qs in Kudoz and in IrishGaelicTranslator.com?

I would **strongly** suggest you buy Terry Dolan's Dictionary of Hiberno English (http://www.hiberno-english.com/) as it is very comprehensive, well-researched and should meet all your needs.

BTW - terminology questions are supposed to be posted in the Kudoz part of this site

Orla

[Edited at 2006-02-22 10:04]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
There could be some discussion... Feb 22, 2006

Orla Ryan wrote:

Hi Mavericker,

BTW - terminology questions are supposed to be posted in the Kudoz part of this site
Orla

You're right, he has asked these already, last year sometime.

To be fair, however, it was suggested towards the end of last year that English monolingual questions that may give rise to some discussion could be posted here. Past experience suggests this could be appropriate in the case of Mavericker's questions, as they deal with slang usage and suchlike, where discussion often arises.

I'm still dead curious to know why these terms are needed...?

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
... Feb 22, 2006

Ah OK - it is just that I don't really visit the Linguistics forum very often, so I was not aware of that

S/he _really_ should get that book though)

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Slang Feb 22, 2006

Orla Ryan wrote:

Hi Mavericker,

Orla

Good points...these were also posted in the English section last year looking for different ways to say these words from a military perspective. As a seeker of knowledge myself I'm not judging, but what's the final goal here? Article, book?

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Irish and Scottish slang help Feb 22, 2006

There is some info in the Ask the Asker box in this question. Seems to be for a comic book or something.

[Edited at 2006-02-22 12:12]

James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
When chapman billies leave the street, And drouthy neibors, neibors, meet Feb 22, 2006

Hi Mavericker

My dad uses plenty of Scots vernacular but I can't help you with your questions. Here's a Scots glossary that might be of use: http://www.visitdunkeld.com/scots-glossary.htm. There's a link at the bottom allowing you to email the guy who put it together.

The quote is the opening line to Robbie Burns' magnum opus "Tam O'Shanter" by the way.

... See more
Hi Mavericker

My dad uses plenty of Scots vernacular but I can't help you with your questions. Here's a Scots glossary that might be of use: http://www.visitdunkeld.com/scots-glossary.htm. There's a link at the bottom allowing you to email the guy who put it together.

The quote is the opening line to Robbie Burns' magnum opus "Tam O'Shanter" by the way.

Yours

James
Collapse

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Comic Book Feb 22, 2006

Amy Williams wrote:

There is some info in the Ask the Asker box in this question. Seems to be for a comic book or something.

Thank you.

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Request for you help Feb 28, 2006

Amy Williams wrote:

Yes, David Sirrett was trying to help me out-he tried asking others, but wasn't successful in answering my questions. Could you please help me out?

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Books on slang Feb 28, 2006

Kurt Porter wrote:

Orla Ryan wrote:

Hi Mavericker,

Orla

Good points...these were also posted in the English section last year looking for different ways to say these words from a military perspective. As a seeker of knowledge myself I'm not judging, but what's the final goal here? Article, book?

This book you listed is a good source of Irish slang?
What books on Scottish slang would you recommend buying?

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and Questions for Amy Mar 18, 2006

Amy Williams wrote:

Yes, this is for a comic book.
Do you know any Scottish slang?

Do You know what are the best English to Scots Thesauruses that are published that I should but besides:

MacLeod's Scots Thesaurus
Consise Scots Dictionary

What are the best books on Scottish Slang?

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Kurt Porter, I need your Help with Scottish slang Mar 18, 2006

Hello Kurt. You suggested that book on HIberno English.

Do you know of any books on Scottish slang I should Buy?

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Orla Ryan, I need some help with Scottish slang Mar 18, 2006

Orla Ryan wrote:

Hi Mavericker,

Orla

Hi, do you know what books on Socttish slang I should buy?

Mavericker (X)
Mavericker (X)
English
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to Charlie Bavington's question and request for help Mar 20, 2006

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Orla Ryan wrote:

Hi Mavericker,

Orla

You're right, he has asked these already, last year sometime.

To be fair, however, it was suggested towards the end of last year that English monolingual questions that may give rise to some discussion could be posted here. Past experience suggests this could be appropriate in the case of Mavericker's questions, as they deal with slang usage and suchlike, where discussion often arises.

I'm still dead curious to know why these terms are needed...?

I'm writing and creating a multicultural comic book. I'm doing research on the slang, jargon and terminlogy including colloquialisms and archaisms that's used in the US and in other countries.

Can you please tell me, besides Macleod's Scots Thesaurus and the Consise Scots Dictionary are the best English to Scots dictionaries and thesaurues out there? I'm interested in buying them.

Do you know of any books on Scottish slang I should buy?
Please let me know. Thank you.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:15
German to English
Online Scots Dictionary Mar 20, 2006

Have you already made use of this one?

Welcome to the Online Scots Dictionary
Translate from Scots to English!
and from English to Scots!
Scots is the Germanic language, related to English, spoken in Lowland Scotland and Ulster, not the Celtic language Gaelic!
This dictionary can only be considered a rough guide. For the full meanings and usages of Scots words consult the Concise Scots Dictionary or the Scottish national Dictionary, both published by SLD Ltd.
... See more
Have you already made use of this one?

Welcome to the Online Scots Dictionary
Translate from Scots to English!
and from English to Scots!
Scots is the Germanic language, related to English, spoken in Lowland Scotland and Ulster, not the Celtic language Gaelic!
This dictionary can only be considered a rough guide. For the full meanings and usages of Scots words consult the Concise Scots Dictionary or the Scottish national Dictionary, both published by SLD Ltd.
For more detail try The Dictionar o the Scots Leid.
It is advisable to read the following before using the Dictionary:
1. Search Tips Tips for achieving a successfull translation.
2. Abbreviations Abbreviations used in the dictionary.
3. Spelling Guide A guide to non-regional Scots spelling.
Pronunciation is also mentioned.
4. Phonetic Symbols Phonetic symbols used in the spelling guide.
5. Use the Online Scots Dictionary.
Translate from Scots to English
Translate from English to Scots
Leaf through the Scots to English dictionary as in a book.
6. Link to the Online Scots Dictionary from your website.
7. WAP version available at www.scots-online.org/wap/index.wml

http://www.scots-online.org/dictionary/

[Edited at 2006-03-20 18:55]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Irish and Scottish slang help

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »