Thread poster: maltilex

maltilex
Malta
Local time: 02:15
English to Maltese
+ ...
Mar 4, 2006

Hi!

At the moment I am working on an assignment on English loanwords' integration in Italian.

I will be very grateful if you please help me by answering the following questions:

1) Is English affecting the Italian language nowadays? At a high rate?

2) Are there any orthographic rules to integrate such words in Italian?

3) Are tentatives being made to create or find a new word before transforming the loanword in Italian spelling?

4) What is the attitude of the Italian people towards English loanwords in their language? Do they use an Italian version or use the word as it is originally written in English?

5) Does the Accademia della Crusca has a say on this? Do media and people obey its proposals/decisions?

If you have any website links and documents on this subject please send me a copy of them. I am interested as well in loanwords in other European languages.

Thanks and regards,
Thomas

Direct link Reply with quote

Carl Stoll  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 18:15
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Qualche parole e qualche libri Mar 5, 2006

Ci sono parecchie parole che circolano. In questo momento mi ricordo di:

L'intelligence, il privacy, e l'impeachment.

Miei risposti alle domande sono:

1. Si.
2. Non ci sono.
3. Non lo so.
4. Non lo so.
5. Non lo so.

In francese c’è un dizionario di anglicismi: Josette Rey-Debove, Gilbert Gagnon: Dictionnaire des anglicismes, Robert, Paris 1990.

Poi c’è Odd Pairs and False Friends, un dizionario de false analogie fre inglese e italiano, Zanicchelli, 1987. Non è proprio la stessa cosa che i anglicismi, ma ci sono affinità.

In spagnolo ci sono qualche dizionari di anglicismi, ma non sono molto buoni. Poi c’è Alfonso Torrents dels Prats: Diccionario de dificultades del inglés, chi combatte l’uso eccessivo dei anglicismi dai traduttori allo spagnolo.

Per i c.d. “falsi amici” fra spagnolo e inglese c’è NTC’s Dictionary of Spanish False Cognates, NTC, Lincolnwood (Illinois) 1993.

Auguri da Carl Stoll

Claire Titchmarsh  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Happens all the time Mar 6, 2006

The use of English words in Italian is my pet hate, although I am not Italian, so I can't tell you what Italians think about the bastardisation of their language. What I can tell you is that in some fields (the fashion industry is the worst offender but there are many others), it seems that English is seen as an indicator of "cool" or "trendy" i.e. the more English words you use, the more "with it" you are. Just read a copy of Italian Marie Claire to see what I'm talking about...

Anyway you might like the following link:

http://www.spellingsociety.org/journals/j20/italian.php

where it says:

2] Klajn (1977) found 2150 anglicisms in various sources (dictionaries, old and new written and spoken texts), whereas the more recent study by De Mauro (1993) on word frequency in contemporary spoken Italian gives 1049 English words. The actual proportion of anglicisms in Italian is between 0.2% and 1.4% of the global lexicon, figures which are not especially meaningful. A much higher proportion of English words has been registered in the lexis of special fields (eg, 30% in the terminology of the shoe trade)

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
unnecessary Anglicisms Mar 6, 2006

Claire Titchmarsh wrote:

What I can tell you is that in some fields (the fashion industry is the worst offender but there are many others), it seems that English is seen as an indicator of "cool" or "trendy" i.e. the more English words you use, the more "with it" you are.

I couldn't agree more. I find this an extremely provincial outlook, as in many cases (not all of course) English words used in Italian have one (or even more) Italian equivalent, so the use of a foreign word is not at all necessary. Paradoxically enough (though, if you think about it, it's not so paradoxical), people who tend to use so many unnecessary Anglicisms have a mediocre command of English, and often misspell and/or misuse those words. Another offender, as Claire puts it, is the field of jobs and HR.

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
my answers Mar 6, 2006

tpace wrote:

1) Is English affecting the Italian language nowadays? At a high rate?

2) Are there any orthographic rules to integrate such words in Italian?

3) Are tentatives being made to create or find a new word before transforming the loanword in Italian spelling?

4) What is the attitude of the Italian people towards English loanwords in their language? Do they use an Italian version or use the word as it is originally written in English?

5) Does the Accademia della Crusca has a say on this? Do media and people obey its proposals/decisions?

Sorry I forgot to answer your questions

1) Yes, definitely.
2) No
3) Not that I know
4) It depends: sometimes words are somehow adapted (eg boicottare, gol, etc.) but they usually maintain their original spelling, unless they're misspelt (which unfortunately happens quite often)
5) I don't know the position of the Accademia della Crusca; what I know is that it is pretty much ignored by most Italians

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English loanwords in Italian

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs