Mobile menu

Grammatical terminology in various languages
Thread poster: frank1
English to Dutch
Mar 17, 2006

Dear listmembers,

I'm a Dutch second language teacher in Belgium. I'm currently working on a
multilingual list of grammatical terms. The purpose of that list is to provide a translation for the students of the most basic grammatical terms in the target language.
This obviously includes terms which do not apply to the mother tongue. Simply put: though Russian grammar itself doesn't have _articles_, Russian does have a word for it.
Even if the students don't know the term itself, a translation might give them clue.

The list consist of +/-40 basic grammatical terms to be translated in +/- 50 languages, 40 of which are "done" by now.
But 10 languages are giving me headache, since I can't find all the terms in (online) dictionaries etc.

Therefore I'd like to ask whether people here
could offer some help. The languages for which I need some extra help, your help, are:

Arabic, Armenian, Tagalog, Nepalese, Hebrew, Pashto, Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, Tibetan, Belarusan.
Apart from Tibetan and Belarusan, the other languages require only 10 à 20 translations out of 40).

Some questions and requests:
- I think I kind of exhausted all on line bilingual dictionaries involving English (Dutch and English grammatical categories are pretty similar). Does anybody of you know reliable online dictionaries which do NOT use transcriptions. Dictionaries in Russian, Swedish, German, ... (I can 'read' those languages, but my active knowledge of those is not good enough to even perform a google search, sadly enough).

- Does anybody of you know a good internet source to look up those words in context? Preferably a bilingual on line language course (e.g. an English course written in Tagalog which uses both native and English terminology)?

- In short: Every hint or tip in whatever language would be more than welcome.

Many thanks in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grammatical terminology in various languages

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs