https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/47513-concept_property.html

concept "property"
Thread poster: NadezhdaZotova
NadezhdaZotova
NadezhdaZotova
Russian to English
May 16, 2006

I study the problems of intercultural communication at linguistique university and for my research I need to know the associations of native English speakers with the word "property" (the images you get when you hear "property") Could you help me? I would be very thankful for your associations

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:42
Italian to English
Property May 16, 2006

My immediate understanding of the word is "buildings", then "buildings and / or land" and finally "everything or something in someone's ownership / belonging to someone".
What Americans call "Real Estate" the British call "Property".
Hope that helps.
Russell

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:42
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Everything I own May 16, 2006

Initially, everything that I own is my property.

After that, I associate the word "property" with a parcel of land belonging to (most often owned by) someone.

I also use the word "property" loosely to also describe living accomodations under my direct supervision, but not necessarily owned by me (rented apartment).

I won't go into the associations I have developed based on my legal background, but they are many.
See more
Initially, everything that I own is my property.

After that, I associate the word "property" with a parcel of land belonging to (most often owned by) someone.

I also use the word "property" loosely to also describe living accomodations under my direct supervision, but not necessarily owned by me (rented apartment).

I won't go into the associations I have developed based on my legal background, but they are many.
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Mine May 16, 2006

"Mine" is one of the first words we learn. It's MINE, not yours. So hands off.

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:42
Swedish to English
+ ...
UK English May 17, 2006

On a gut level, my property is my home and land - my other belongings are my possessions. On a more rational level, everything I own is my property... (this seems to be the reverse of Derek's associations with the word).

For me, the word property is immediately associated with something solid and immovable, smaller things are possessions... Please note though, that this is not necessarily related to how I would actually use the words in a piece of work or even in conversation, these
... See more
On a gut level, my property is my home and land - my other belongings are my possessions. On a more rational level, everything I own is my property... (this seems to be the reverse of Derek's associations with the word).

For me, the word property is immediately associated with something solid and immovable, smaller things are possessions... Please note though, that this is not necessarily related to how I would actually use the words in a piece of work or even in conversation, these are purely mental associations.
Collapse

Richard Creech
Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
French to English
+ ...
Lawyer's View May 17, 2006

"Property" is quite a complex subject. Generally speaking it refers to some legally protectable interest in something. Most of the previous statments provide partially accurate but incomplete notions of "property." It can refer to property that is "real" (i.e. land or real estate) or "personal" (both tangible goods such as cars and intangible items such as bank accounts and stocks), as well as intellectual property (patents, copyrights, trademarks). It need not be something that is exclusive... See more
"Property" is quite a complex subject. Generally speaking it refers to some legally protectable interest in something. Most of the previous statments provide partially accurate but incomplete notions of "property." It can refer to property that is "real" (i.e. land or real estate) or "personal" (both tangible goods such as cars and intangible items such as bank accounts and stocks), as well as intellectual property (patents, copyrights, trademarks). It need not be something that is exclusively "mine," as property may be owned jointly with another. It also need not be presently owned, as "property" also includes future interests (beneficiaries to a will for example). What "ownership" means is an associated complex question. In law school we are taught that "property" is best conceived of as a bundle of rights, and one may have certain rights without having others. One may have the right to use property but not the right to sell it, for example, or only have the right to use it for certain purposes (I have the right to use my apartment only as a residence). Ultimately, no one has absolute rights to property except the government. Land ownership is limited by the obligation to pay taxes, and a failure to do so results in forfeiture. "Property" in the Anglo-Saxon world is based on medieval notions of ownership and state organization.Collapse

NadezhdaZotova
NadezhdaZotova
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 25, 2006

Russell, Derek, Henry, Clare, Richard - thank you all. your associations help me very much.
Richard, your point of view let me understand the difference between legal notions of property and собственность. It's also a great help for my law studies. Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

concept "property"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »