Thread poster: Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 14:20
English to German
Oct 14, 2006

Hi all,

since the last spelling reform, German words can contain three identical consonants in a row. This happens in compounds where the first part ends in two identical consonants, and the second part starts with the same consonant. Before the reform, one of the three instances used to be dropped. Example: oxygen+bottle = Sauerstoff+Flasche = Sauerstoffflasche (used to be: Sauerstofflasche).

I am curious what other languages contain words with three identical letters
... See more
Hi all,

since the last spelling reform, German words can contain three identical consonants in a row. This happens in compounds where the first part ends in two identical consonants, and the second part starts with the same consonant. Before the reform, one of the three instances used to be dropped. Example: oxygen+bottle = Sauerstoff+Flasche = Sauerstoffflasche (used to be: Sauerstofflasche).

I am curious what other languages contain words with three identical letters in a row (and for what reason).

Have a nice weekend,
Ricki (who uses a different word, a hyphen or a paraphrase instead of such a monster)
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
jääään Oct 14, 2006

Try google!

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
What does it mean? Oct 14, 2006

For heaven's sake Heinrich, what does that mean?

and the reason is, presumably, that Finnish ortography was created from scratch by a bunch of linguists who wanted to be reeaally precise?

Thanks for this word,
Ricki

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Romanian Oct 14, 2006

Not consonants, but vowels:

copil = child
copii = children (indefinite)
copiii = *the* children (definite form)

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian Oct 14, 2006

There is only word, as far as I know, but it's interesting because all three vowels in the row are pronounced.

In Latin chars, it's

"dlinnosheee" (each "e" is pronounced as "ye").

The word is an adjective and means "having a long neck" (mostly applied to creatures and animals - say, a giraffe).

parsifalia
parsifalia
English to French
+ ...
Dutch Oct 14, 2006

stress + situatie = stresssituatie - a horrrible word indeed!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:20
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Comparative of dlinnosheee? Oct 14, 2006

Would "one animal is longer-necked than another" in Russian be "одно животное длинношеее другого"?

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
It's not comparative Oct 14, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:
Would "one animal is longer-necked than another" in Russian be "одно животное длинношеее другого"?

No, Jack, it's not. Simply as in "giraffe is a long-necked animal" ("Жираф - длинношеее животное").

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Grilllade, fitnessstore, fitnessshop Oct 14, 2006

French, German and Swedish as far as I know
Found it incidentally

For the liquids (l & r) more than two in a row is not surprising

Well, the same counts for the sibilant s
Dutch language accepts a lot of English words nowadays (99% too much in my opinion). Known example is the word shop which is also verbalized into shoppen (shop, go shopping). The funny thing is that the English word shop is akin to the Dutch word for buy kopen (German kaufen, Swedish köpa
... See more
French, German and Swedish as far as I know
Found it incidentally

For the liquids (l & r) more than two in a row is not surprising

Well, the same counts for the sibilant s
Dutch language accepts a lot of English words nowadays (99% too much in my opinion). Known example is the word shop which is also verbalized into shoppen (shop, go shopping). The funny thing is that the English word shop is akin to the Dutch word for buy kopen (German kaufen, Swedish köpa), so shoppen and kopen actually have the same meaning. The Dutch (Bahasia Indonesia as well) word for shop is winkel. It means actually corner; in the Middle Ages the stallholders on the market more and more turned their stalls at the corner of the market square into permanent stores. Therefore this first shops were called "winkel". Other wise the word winkel is hardly ever used for corner; in 99.99% of the cases it's "hoek", akin to English hook. The Dutch word that's akin to corner is horn or hoorn ("pointed"), you find it in the horn of an animal and in toponyms like Uithoorn ("outer pointed shape of land").
A big difference between English and Dutch / German is that English hardly ever "strings" words, whereas Dutch and German "string" very much. Would never forget the German Drehmomentwandlerauslassreglerventilfedern, Untersetzungskegelritzelkegelrollenlager or the Windenergieanlageüberwachungs-Programmbeschreibung I did find in my source text.

Anyway, a lot of that imported English words and on ll or ss, so nowadays you find a lot of fitnessstores or fitnessshop in continental Europe

[Edited at 2006-10-14 18:56]
Collapse

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not Swedish Oct 14, 2006

One of the three letters in all the above examples would dropped, presumably for reasons of clarity. There are plenty of compond nouns in Swedish that could have three letters, but I've never come across one that does, only two letters - or can someone correct me on this?

My first thought when I saw this was Finnish - Heinrich??? How about some of the native languages of the Arctic people - Sami etc?

[Edited at 2006-10-14 19:47]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not 'allowed' in Swedish Oct 14, 2006

As far as I can remember from my long ago forgotten school days, three identical letters in a row is a big no-no in Swedish.

You can string (almost) any amount of nouns together in a compound (without spaces), but if three identical letters meet, one has to go.

Example:

boll + låda (ball + box = box for/of balls) = bollåda, not bolllåda

or a less weird alternative

glass + strut (ice cream + cone) = glasstrut, not glassstrut
... See more
As far as I can remember from my long ago forgotten school days, three identical letters in a row is a big no-no in Swedish.

You can string (almost) any amount of nouns together in a compound (without spaces), but if three identical letters meet, one has to go.

Example:

boll + låda (ball + box = box for/of balls) = bollåda, not bolllåda

or a less weird alternative

glass + strut (ice cream + cone) = glasstrut, not glassstrut

But since languages are ever evolving (and grammar being generally descriptive) , God knows how long this rule will last. Just googled on both 'glassstrut' and 'glasstrut'.

The correct spelling 'glasstrut' (2 x s) won - 754 to 163.
More than 1 out of 10 pages are incorrect!!!
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jazzzanger Oct 14, 2006

parsifalia wrote:

stress + situatie = stresssituatie - a horrrible word indeed!

Jazzzanger and jazzzangeres might sound less horrible in Dutch. I'm sticking to consonants, with vowels it would be to easy.

Regards,
Gerard

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Rephrasing my question to Kirill Oct 14, 2006

So if it were comparative, as in "one animal is longer-necked than another", would that give you four in a row? Одно животное длинношееее другого?

[Edited at 2006-10-14 23:52]

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Welsh Oct 15, 2006

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
(A village on Anglesey, not far from Bangor where I studied.)

There are four consecutive "L"s in there.

However, the name was invented as a publicity stunt in the 1860s (according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwll ).
And in Welsh, the double L is a sound unit in its own right (roughly equi
... See more
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
(A village on Anglesey, not far from Bangor where I studied.)

There are four consecutive "L"s in there.

However, the name was invented as a publicity stunt in the 1860s (according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwll ).
And in Welsh, the double L is a sound unit in its own right (roughly equivalent to saying the "th" in "third" with a lisp).
(Apologies to any Welsh speakers - that is a rather coarse description, but describing where you put your tongue and where to blow the air out would be too much of a mouthful.)
So in a sense, that sequence of four letters is actually a double "LL".

[Edited at 2006-10-15 00:25]
Collapse

Marta Argat
Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
Три "Е" и тараканий ус Oct 15, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:
So if it were comparative, as in "one animal is longer-necked than another", would that give you four in a row? Одно животное длинношееее другого?

That would be too much. У животного А шея длиннее, чем у Б.
I think lots of people can recall this word easily thanks to this children's classics:
http://www.lib.ru/PROZA/KASSIL/kassil1.txt
(see the chapter "Три "Е" и тараканий ус")

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for languages that permit three identical letters in a row

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »