Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Do you have 2 words for the word/fruit "pineapple" in your language?
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 19:19
Turkish to English
+ ...
Many words for 'banana' in Sinhalese Oct 21, 2006

I only know some basic Sinhalese, but one thing I know is that there are several words for 'banana'; this is because there are a variety of different bananas in Sri Lanka. You can go to a fruit stall in Sri Lanka and ask for bananas and be asked to chose form the various kinds of banana that they have in that day!

rainerc (X)
rainerc (X)
Local time: 18:19
German to English
+ ...
One word in Afrikaans Oct 21, 2006

The Afrikaans language also knows only one word for pineapple: pynappel. This word, like most of the Afrikaans language, comes directly from the Dutch, albeit in a different spelling

Tessy_vas
Tessy_vas
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
Only one word in Greece "ananas" Oct 21, 2006

There is only one Greek word used for ananas!
I like this kind of research that you are doing here!
Keep it going!
Regards,
Tess

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:19
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you to those who have answered so far Oct 21, 2006

I am intervening just to comment that I found it very interesting that the word "ananás" in Portuguese has got almost the same form in other languages so different from mine.

yam2u
yam2u  Identity Verified
United States
English to Malay
+ ...
In Malay Oct 22, 2006

it's nanas, from the Portuguese 'ananas'.

Both the name and the fruit/plant itself was introduced to Peninsula Malaya when Malacca was a Portuguese colony. So no mystery about the similarity in name there.

Interesting thread, Ivana!

-may-

seawalker
seawalker
English to Turkish
+ ...
One word in Turkish Oct 22, 2006

Also in Turkish, only one word "Ananas" . It would be weird for us to have 2 words for an imported fruit. Half of the population are not aware of its existence

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 21:19
English to Urdu
+ ...
One Word only in Urdu too Oct 22, 2006

It is not grown in our country (Pakistan) and is imported from Southeast Asia, hence very expensive here. We have only word 'Annanas' for pineapple in Urdu too.

It is quite surprising that this word 'Annanas' is common in so many languages. I wonder if someone could dig the origin of this word.

Regards,

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
pinya Oct 22, 2006

in Tagalog (Philippines), comes from Spanish of course. There must have been a word for it in pre-Spanish times since it grows in the Philippine archipelago (tropical climate and all) but the Spanish word must've superseded the "local" word(s).

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Hebrew too Oct 22, 2006

Hebrew, bless her, having had to invent a new word for it (Bible didn't have that...) adopted the single original word "Ananas".

Doron

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
Albanian and Macedonian, 1 word Oct 22, 2006

Albanian: ANANAS
Macedonian: АНАНАС

aline naomi
aline naomi
Local time: 13:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Interesting! Oct 22, 2006

Steffi wrote: "Abacaxi' (also called 'White Abacaxi of Pernambuco', 'Pernambuco', 'Eleuthera', and 'English') is well known in Brazil, the Bahamas and Florida."

Interesting what Steffi found: 'white Abacaxi of Pernambuco' and 'Pernambuco'... does it have to do with our northeastern region/state called Pernambuco?? Even if (I guess) we can have abacaxi/ananás everywhere in Brazil?

Before reading this topi
... See more
Steffi wrote: "Abacaxi' (also called 'White Abacaxi of Pernambuco', 'Pernambuco', 'Eleuthera', and 'English') is well known in Brazil, the Bahamas and Florida."

Interesting what Steffi found: 'white Abacaxi of Pernambuco' and 'Pernambuco'... does it have to do with our northeastern region/state called Pernambuco?? Even if (I guess) we can have abacaxi/ananás everywhere in Brazil?

Before reading this topic, I'm almost sure I'd never think about translating 'pineapple' (from English or any other languageother than Portuguese) into 'ananás' in Portuguese...

Great question, Ivana!!
Collapse

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Swedish... Oct 22, 2006

Ananas in Swedish too...!

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Confusing Oct 23, 2006

Hi all,

There seem to be many different opinions about the Portuguese words. The thread was discussed here too:
http://br.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061007142727AACBmHZ

I don't read protuguese that well, but the difference is not fully elaborated in Wikipedia either:... See more
Hi all,

There seem to be many different opinions about the Portuguese words. The thread was discussed here too:
http://br.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061007142727AACBmHZ

I don't read protuguese that well, but the difference is not fully elaborated in Wikipedia either:
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananás

/Jan
Collapse

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
Spanish to English
World Abacaxi Movement is Born! Oct 24, 2006

farre wrote:

Oi Ivana

Aqui no Brasil, apesar de existir o nome ananás, todo mundo chama de abacaxi. Fiquei imaginando se a diferença de nome em PT não é usada para marcar apenas variedades da mesma fruta. Aqui nós temos Abacaxi pérola (mais doce, alongado e de polpa esbranquiçada) e o Abacaxi Havaí (mais baixinho, às vezes tb super doce, mais fibroso e de polpa bem amarela.)

"O termo abacaxi (em português) é, com forte probabilidade, oriundo do tupi ibacati, ‘bodum ou fedor de fruto’, ‘fruto fedorento’ (ibá, ‘fruto’, cati, ‘recender ou cheirar fortemente’), documentado já no início do séc. XIX.

O termo ananás (em português e espanhol) é do guarani naná, e documentado em português na primeira metade do séc. XVI e em espanhol na segunda (1578), em que é empréstimo do português do Brasil ou da sua língua geral."

Pessoalmente não sou muito chegada no abacaxi porque sempre me enche a boca de aftas, mas achei interessante a sua pergunta.

That's the most beautiful thing I've ever read, and I only understood 60% of it! Time to break out my Rosetta Stone Brazilian Portuguese Edition and get to work. From now on I'm calling it abacaxi. Sounds better than pineapple!

Saludos

Ula_pol
Ula_pol
Only one word in Polish Dec 20, 2006

in Polish exists only one equivalent namely "ananas". It's quite interesting why there're more than one name for the same thing in some languages/ The Eskimo have more than 20 names for snow, the English differentiate between haze, mist, fog, etc. Why is it so???? Is it connected with different views of the world? I'm looking forward for your opinions:) greetings, Ula

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have 2 words for the word/fruit "pineapple" in your language?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »