https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/60081-cardinal_or_ordinal_numbers_in_legal_english.html

Cardinal or Ordinal numbers in legal English?
Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 03:40
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Nov 20, 2006

Hello. I am curious to know if it is more common in contracts for clauses to be numbered cardinally: One, Two, Three, or ordinally:
One, Two, Three. Any preferences? Thanks.

Reed

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cardinals in EN (e.g. Clause Eleven - Jurisdiction) Nov 20, 2006

Reed D. James wrote:

Hello. I am curious to know if it is more common in contracts for clauses to be numbered cardinally: One, Two, Three, or ordinally:
One, Two, Three. Any preferences? Thanks.

Reed

Hi Reed,

You mean the headings - One, Two, Three (cardinal) vs. First, Second, Third (ordinal), right?

Normal rule (this side of the Atlantic, at least = UK) - is to use cardinals.

I'm not aware of any different convention for the US or other EN-speaking countries, e.g. South Africa, where I've practised

So:

Clause One - Purpose (and not First Clause - Purpose, as would be the case if written in PT for example)

Clause Twenty - Applicable Law, etc

Not unusual for Article to be used instead of Clause this side either.

Hope this helps
D

[Edited at 2006-11-20 17:30]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:40
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Convention in Scotland Nov 20, 2006

Hi Reed,

At the time when I was a legal secretary in Scotland (which is some years ago now), the convention appeared to be "Clause First", "Clause Second", "Clause Third" and so on.

As far as I can make out, this convention is not, however, prevalent outside Scotland.

Astrid

P.S. Pages were numbered in that way as well. Instead of writing "- 2 -", for example, at the top of the second page, it was customary to write out "Page Second".

[E
... See more
Hi Reed,

At the time when I was a legal secretary in Scotland (which is some years ago now), the convention appeared to be "Clause First", "Clause Second", "Clause Third" and so on.

As far as I can make out, this convention is not, however, prevalent outside Scotland.

Astrid

P.S. Pages were numbered in that way as well. Instead of writing "- 2 -", for example, at the top of the second page, it was customary to write out "Page Second".

[Edited at 2006-11-20 19:03]
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Numbering in Legal English Nov 22, 2006

When translating into English I always translate in cardinal numbers, even though the Portuguese language confusingly uses ordinal numbers until 9 and cardinals from then on:
Artigo 9º (Artigo Nono) is followed by Artigo 10 (Artigo Dez) in Portuguese!
I use "article" or "clause" depending on the form used in the original, respectively "artigo" and "cláusula".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cardinal or Ordinal numbers in legal English?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »