Linguistic advice online? Advice on the complexities of the English language?
Thread poster: iwmich
iwmich
iwmich
Local time: 05:54
English
Jan 2, 2007

Hi all,
I wonder if there is a website that offers advice on the complexities of the English language. As you well know, not all can be found in dictionaries. I often use such help in my home tongue - Polish - provided by the Polish Language department of one of our universities. Can anyone recommend me such a site in English? Thanks in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-01-02 22:00]

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
1 site helpful for me Jan 2, 2007

hello.

www.answers.com

try and see, e.g., its multi-language translation feature.

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)
Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:54
Member (2005)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I have not tried myself, but... Jan 2, 2007

Hello!

I have not tried myself, but recently I found such linguistic forum. Probably this can be helpful for you.
http://www.englishforums.com/

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:54
German to English
ProZ.com Jan 3, 2007

Hi iwmich - what's wrong with this website? We've got a number of outstanding linguists who ought to be able to help you with your questions.

Best wishes, Kim

Cecilia Di Vita
Cecilia Di Vita  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:54
English to Italian
+ ...
English Usage Jan 3, 2007

You're probably looking for a website about English Usage... Maybe you can have a look at this one:

http://www.bartleby.com/64/

However, I also want to suggest you a very good book that I bought when I was at the University, it really solves many of the problems that non-native speakers have with the English language:

Michael Swan (1995) "Practical English Usage", Oxford
... See more
You're probably looking for a website about English Usage... Maybe you can have a look at this one:

http://www.bartleby.com/64/

However, I also want to suggest you a very good book that I bought when I was at the University, it really solves many of the problems that non-native speakers have with the English language:

Michael Swan (1995) "Practical English Usage", Oxford University Press

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-English-Usage-Michael-Swan/dp/019431197X

Hope this helps.

Cecilia
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:54
Finnish to English
I Agree with Kim Jan 3, 2007

I am sure a lot of native English speakers would be only too happy to help out with the complexities of English on this site.

Despite the fact that English is a/ the world language and its grammatical formations are fairly simple compared with many other languages, it is exceedingly compicated in certain areas (e.g. lexis, collocation, register, tense usage) and so there is nothing to be ashamed of if a problem arises.

iwmich
iwmich
Local time: 05:54
English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 3, 2007

Thanks for the website addresses and help offers Not that I wanted to offend you by suggesting you don't want to/can't help; it's just that I only discovered this forum yesterday, precisely while looking for online help sites, so I haven't really had time to learn much about the stuff discussed here. Still, from what I can see now I'll probably be using it a lot from now on, as I encounter lots of problems my English/American frie... See more
Thanks for the website addresses and help offers Not that I wanted to offend you by suggesting you don't want to/can't help; it's just that I only discovered this forum yesterday, precisely while looking for online help sites, so I haven't really had time to learn much about the stuff discussed here. Still, from what I can see now I'll probably be using it a lot from now on, as I encounter lots of problems my English/American friends (non-linguists) can't always solve. When I posted this topic I thought about advice on the use of English only, as I sometimes write stuff in English and work part-time as a teacher, but you've opened my eyes to the fact I can get a lot of help here on the stuff I'm translating from English as well. I work with fiction mostly, so you can imagine I have to face a lot of different jargons, slang expressions etc., on which the search engines are extremely helpful, but sometimes ambiguous and not always reliable.

Iwona
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:54
German to English
First pointer Jan 3, 2007

Your written English is very good, Iwona. It's better than what is all too often written by many native speakers. But what strikes me immediately is your use of the term "stuff." The general tone of your posting is semi-formal. Probably a good register for this forum. An occasional "stuff" wouldn't stand out, but you've used the term three times in a short passage. I would tend to substitute "material", "documents", etc. for stuff.

- haven't really had time to learn much about the
... See more
Your written English is very good, Iwona. It's better than what is all too often written by many native speakers. But what strikes me immediately is your use of the term "stuff." The general tone of your posting is semi-formal. Probably a good register for this forum. An occasional "stuff" wouldn't stand out, but you've used the term three times in a short passage. I would tend to substitute "material", "documents", etc. for stuff.

- haven't really had time to learn much about the stuff discussed here - what people discuss here

- as I sometimes write stuff in English - material

- you've opened my eyes to the fact I can get a lot of help here on the stuff I'm translating from English as well - the documents/material
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linguistic advice online? Advice on the complexities of the English language?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »