https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/72358-some_associations_are_needed_from_native_english_speakers.html

Some associations are needed from native English speakers
Thread poster: VeraHembitska
VeraHembitska
VeraHembitska
Local time: 03:53
English
+ ...
May 7, 2007

I am a student of Polotsk State University in Belarus. We need some associations from native English speakers for our research work . If it is possible write us a few associations for each word: 1.Master; 2.Money; 3.God. And in addition write the color with which you associate each of them. Don’t forget to mention your age, gender& country. Please!

Thank you very much!!!

Nicole Johnson
Nicole Johnson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:53
Italian to English
+ ...
This is what I associate with these words... May 7, 2007

Master: slave, file
color - purple (don't know why)

Money: time, work
color - green (the almighty $)

God: grace, country, heaven
color - white (clouds in heaven maybe)

38 years old, female, United States

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
a suggestion May 7, 2007

VeraHembitska wrote:

I am a student of Polotsk State University in Belarus. We need some associations from native English speakers for our research work . If it is possible write us a few associations for each word: 1.Master; 2.Money; 3.God. And in addition write the color with which you associate each of them. Don’t forget to mention your age, gender& country. Please!

Thank you very much!!!

I'd be happy to help, but seeing other people's answers is not a good idea as it interferes with our own associative processes...and it's difficult not to catch sight of something someone else said.

I suggest you ask people to write to your email address:-)

VeraHembitska
VeraHembitska
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my email address May 8, 2007

Lia Fail wrote:

VeraHembitska wrote:

Thank you very much!!!

I'd be happy to help, but seeing other people's answers is not a good idea as it interferes with our own associative processes...and it's difficult not to catch sight of something someone else said.

I suggest you ask people to write to your email address:-)

Dear Lia Fail, thank you for your suggestion. it is worth following, so, this is my email address: [email protected]

P.S Many thanks to Nicole Johnson

zabrowa
zabrowa
hmm May 14, 2007

What kind of research is this? Perhaps once this work is finalized you could inform us of the title and the results? It seems you are testing semantic connotations...?!

VeraHembitska
VeraHembitska
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You've guessed May 15, 2007

You've guessed. I am going to compare belorussian, russian and english associations.They are different and reflect life of these countries, but from linguistic point they are different too. And the way of thinking? it is not the same at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some associations are needed from native English speakers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »