CHOMAT
CHOMAT
Local time: 01:57
English to French
+ ...
initials or acronym? Dec 1, 2007

Yasmin wrote:

Lifesnadir wrote:

Here's one for you to ponder: The acronym is SSDC, which stands for Sudden and Severe Disabling Crisis. Does it need "a" or "an" before it?

Lifes

I might be splitting hairs here, but surely SSDC is an initialism and not an acronym as it is an abbreviation that is not pronounceable as a word. Thus, in answer to your question, I would say "an" SSDC (es-es-dee-cee).

What happened to the use of the good old full stop in abbreviations? A peppering of those used to sort the initialisms from the acronyms!

I do agree with you on that point . There is quite a difference between initials and acronyms. It depends upon the morpho-phonic structure of the initials ( euphony was used before) e.g. FLCM will not turn into an acronym as MASH or Gulag did.
Logically speaking , since acronyms work as nouns (nearly) then a/an rules can work.
However, I can't find many countable acronyms starting with a vowel !

[Edited at 2007-12-01 20:28]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of a or an before acronyms

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »