Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:56
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Kudoz question Jul 29, 2007

Hi,
You should really post this as an Eng-Eng Kudoz question.
Catherine
PS: I don't see any difference between B and C, apart from the extra "p" in appointed, which is a mistake anyway. Did you mean to write something else?

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oops Jul 29, 2007

Catherine
Thanxs. Actually you're right. I meant to write : he was appointed PM (without preposition).

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
an answer at least Jul 29, 2007

Hi,

You will always find people on Proz, alas, who prefer to quote the rules at you instead of answering your query.

This, however, is my answer as a native speaker of English: in order of preference, I would use:
a) He was appointed PM
b) He was appointed as PM

I doubt I would use "He was appointed the PM" unless the sentence continued with "...of the XXX Project". Even then, I would prefer to use a).

Hope you find this helpful.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:56
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on context and register Jul 29, 2007

In informal contexts, all three forms are fine.

For formal writing, I'd use the version with "as."

[Edited at 2007-07-29 12:09]

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Ellipsis Jul 29, 2007

The reason why it's possible to omit both "the" and "as" is that in English, words such as these are often left out if it is possible to understand the sentence without them. This is called ellipsis, and is particularly frequent in informal registers. Another example would be the omission of "in" in this sentence:

"We need to do this [in] the right way."

The more informal the register, the more likely it is that "in" would be left out. Similarly:

"[Have yo
... See more
The reason why it's possible to omit both "the" and "as" is that in English, words such as these are often left out if it is possible to understand the sentence without them. This is called ellipsis, and is particularly frequent in informal registers. Another example would be the omission of "in" in this sentence:

"We need to do this [in] the right way."

The more informal the register, the more likely it is that "in" would be left out. Similarly:

"[Have you] got the time?"
"[Do you] fancy a cup of tea?"

Although the omission leaves you with a sentence which is syntactically incomplete, speakers do not feel that there is anything wrong with it and it is considered perfectly acceptable; in fact, in some cases it is so frequent that it actually sounds more natural to leave the word out (to me, at least).

[Edited at 2007-07-29 12:40]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It IS a kudoz question and an answer was also provided Jul 29, 2007

lexical wrote:

Hi,

You will always find people on Proz, alas, who prefer to quote the rules at you instead of answering your query.

Sorry, but Catherine is correct in pointing out that this should have been posted as a Kudoz question on English monolingual.
She also did provide a helpful correct answer so no need to get huffy about someone pointing out that this is not really a topic for forum discussion.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:56
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree with (a) Jul 29, 2007

lexical wrote:

Hi,

This, however, is my answer as a native speaker of English: in order of preference, I would use:
a) He was appointed PM
b) He was appointed as PM

I doubt I would use "He was appointed the PM" unless the sentence continued with "...of the XXX Project". Even then, I would prefer to use a).

Hope you find this helpful.

Agreed. I think "He was appointed PM" sounds best. As in "He was crowned king" and "He was elected Emperor", etc. No need to add "as" - it would be redundant.
Regards,
Jenny (speaker of English English)

[Edited at 2007-07-29 14:23]

Catherine Bolton
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Guess it's hot where you are too Jul 29, 2007

lexical wrote:

Hi,

I'll chalk up your "polite" answer to the dreadfully hot weather, which makes people short-tempered.
The fact is that Italia is bound to find more and faster answers if s/he posts this as a Kudoz question instead of a forum, which is why I suggested it.
Have a nice day,
Catherine

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
kinder words perhaps? Jul 29, 2007

[quote]cbolton wrote:

I'll chalk up your "polite" answer to the dreadfully hot weather, which makes people short-tempered.
The fact is that Italia is bound to find more and faster answers if s/he posts this as a Kudoz question instead of a forum, which is why I suggested it.

It might have been kinder had you explained it that way to Italia instead of saying "You should really...", in what some might (wrongly, I'm sure) take as a schoolmistressy tone. Fortunately, several of us were interested in helping her/him.

Catherine Bolton
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
kinder words indeed Jul 29, 2007

lexical wrote:

It might have been kinder had you explained it that way to Italia instead of saying "You should really...", in what some might (wrongly, I'm sure) take as a schoolmistressy tone. Fortunately, several of us were interested in helping her/him.

From you as well, by assuming my good faith.
I thought my PS asking Italia for clarifications made things clear, as there would be no point posting it that way to kudoz or anywhere else. But apparently not. My apologies to Italia in that case.
Catherine

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I should have but Jul 29, 2007

Dear all
Thanxs to all your kind answers. Catherine was right I should have posted it as a Kudoz monolingual questions but honestly it did not come to my mind for some strange reason.
Thanxs again to all of you.
Have a good Sunday evening!!!
BW

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grammar doubt:was appointed the /as/- project manager

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »