Medical Field
Thread poster: Manuel Rossetti (X)
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Local time: 20:54
Aug 24, 2007

Are Asian Languages Latin based also in the Medical field as is English?

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 15:54
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Hi Emily Aug 26, 2007

Could you expand on your question a bit, please? I suspect this post belongs in another forum, and with more detail, we may be able to determine what that forum is.

Best,

Nancy

Manuel Rossetti (X)
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Local time: 20:54
TOPIC STARTER
re: Aug 26, 2007

NancyLynn wrote:

Could you expand on your question a bit, please? I suspect this post belongs in another forum, and with more detail, we may be able to determine what that forum is.

Best,

Nancy

i wasnt quite sure how to ask the question or word it. however,

i english, in the medical field latin is used for terminology, medicines, and such and doctors or students pursuing anythin in the medical field or fields having to do with the human body take latin. I was wondering if this was the case too in countries that are not of the Germanic languages or Latin based languages such as Russia, Japan, China, etc.

Alessandro Zocchi
Alessandro Zocchi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:54
Member (2007)
German to Italian
+ ...
...I think we should distinguish... Aug 27, 2007

... for Russian is not the same as Japanese or Chinese: different languages, different cultures, different roots (despite of their being Asian).

As regards Russian, many words are loans from Latin or Greek, but the autoctone Slavic-based roots are present, so that, like in the case of diseases involving the stomach, we can see:

RU gastrit / EN gastritis,

but

EN gastric / RU zhelùdotchnyj.

For Jp and Zh, I honestly do
... See more
... for Russian is not the same as Japanese or Chinese: different languages, different cultures, different roots (despite of their being Asian).

As regards Russian, many words are loans from Latin or Greek, but the autoctone Slavic-based roots are present, so that, like in the case of diseases involving the stomach, we can see:

RU gastrit / EN gastritis,

but

EN gastric / RU zhelùdotchnyj.

For Jp and Zh, I honestly don't know how I could help You to solve Your doubt...

Have a nice day

Ale
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 15:54
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Perhaps the Linguistics forum would be best Aug 27, 2007

Hi again Emily,

Good - I did understand your question as you meant it, then. I'm moving it to the LInguistics forum, where you may get more answers.

Best,
Nancy

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:54
English to Thai
+ ...
Latin and Sanskrit Oct 8, 2010

Many Latin words are similar to Sanskrit (ancient Indian language), Chinese and Arabian words. My reply to this question is NO, however. Reason: Latin grammars and Sanskrit grammars are alike but European medical words have roots in Greek and Latin due to the medical development history.

[This issue should be discussed in linguistic forums]
Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical Field

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »