Thanks Oct 26, 2007

Thanks. I want to get the book.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:09
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Thank you Oct 26, 2007

I really enjoyed it, very interesting! It is strange indeed to know how our brain makes up sentences in a way rather than the other. Cheers Po'!

ICL  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Swearing.... Oct 26, 2007

There is one part of the review of this book that caught my attention:

But why perfectly common words should be taboo — unutterable in certain social contexts — is another mystery, and the forbidden words differ widely across languages. In Djirbal, an Australian aborigine language, every word is taboo when spoken in the presence of mothers-in-law and certain cousins. A special vocabulary is needed for these relatives.

I think you don't have to go as far as Australian aborigines to find examples of this in our daily communication. For instance, when I lived in the USA, I remember that the "polite" thing when children were present was to swear (if you "had" to) using equivalents. For example, say "the F word", instead of F**** (oops, I just censored myself ).

Anyways, the book sounds really interesting.

Thanks for sharing,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Times review of Steven Pinker's new book "The Stuff of Thought"

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs