skport  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 15, 2006

Hello,

I am using Open Office 1.1.2

I am trying to spellcheck a document originally created in Word in Spanish and I am now trying to spell check in English. The spell checker is not working in either of the two languages. I have checked that my document's default language is English but it still does not work.

Can anybody tell me how to override the option created in Word which is something like 'do not check highlighted text'? I have a feeling that this option was applied to my document and I cannot untick it as I do not have Word.

If not, any suggestions of how to get the spellchecker to work on my text would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:00
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Save in .rtf May 15, 2006

Hi Sarah,

sometimes, you can 'un-Word' a document by saving it as an .rtf file and then converting it to an Open Office doc.
If you don't have oodles of formats, saving as a .txt file is radical but very effective.

skport  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks/solution May 15, 2006

Thanks for your quick reply.

It turned out that the Word thing was the problem after all, contrary to what I had thought, but thankfully I worked out how to get the spellchecker to work on my document:

I had changed all my defaults to UK English and was stumped as to why it would not work, then I realised that the deafult language in the 'fonts' list was set to Australian English, which I do not have installed, so it was not working. I had not noticed because I think my brain had only taken in the word 'English'. I now see that there are 12 different 'English' options on OO, which is cool.

Thanks for the tip about saving things in rtf or open office formats.

Have a good evening.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spellcheck options in Open Office for doc created in MS Word

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs