https://www.proz.com/forum/linux_os_free_software/77045-key_combinations_for_special_characters_in_linux.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Key combinations for special characters in Linux
Thread poster: Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:30
German to French
+ ...
Jul 3, 2007

Hi

I have a German Keyboard and I have to write in French. This means that the French special characters do not have a specific key and I have (under windows) to type ´+ e to get é or a specific combination for ç.

This is however not working on Linux. How are you configuring Linux to get the same effect (it would not be very comfortable to use the F- keys for each of these characters in a translation if I have to configure the F-keys.

any ideas?
... See more
Hi

I have a German Keyboard and I have to write in French. This means that the French special characters do not have a specific key and I have (under windows) to type ´+ e to get é or a specific combination for ç.

This is however not working on Linux. How are you configuring Linux to get the same effect (it would not be very comfortable to use the F- keys for each of these characters in a translation if I have to configure the F-keys.

any ideas?

Yolande

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-03 13:33]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Taste combinations for special characters in Linux Jul 3, 2007

If you're actually typing in French, rather than just typing the occasional French word, why not use the French keyboard instead?

If you're using KDE, right-click on the German flag to the right of the task bar to configure the KDE keyboard tool.

Marc

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:30
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think, here are some answers: Jul 3, 2007

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000044

but why wouldn't you just install a couple of additional layouts?

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have Gnome, not KDE Jul 3, 2007

Does the same work on Gnome?

By the way, I don't want to have to change the keyboard configuration all the time because I'm switching all the time between the languages.

I want a way to have it working on a keyboard with a German configuration, the way it works in Windows.

The doc at the end within the comments is at least very useful for open office. I will see if it works in Evolution too.

Open Office does not seem to have the function to sw
... See more
Does the same work on Gnome?

By the way, I don't want to have to change the keyboard configuration all the time because I'm switching all the time between the languages.

I want a way to have it working on a keyboard with a German configuration, the way it works in Windows.

The doc at the end within the comments is at least very useful for open office. I will see if it works in Evolution too.

Open Office does not seem to have the function to switch automatically the language. (under language, you can only find thesaurus and the word division). It's like one have to install either French or German but no way to switch.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 08:02]
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
French or German Jul 3, 2007

Marc P wrote:

If you're actually typing in French, rather than just typing the occasional French word, why not use the French keyboard instead?

If you're using KDE, right-click on the German flag to the right of the task bar to configure the KDE keyboard tool.

Marc

I am typing in German for the day to day activities (quotes, mails to client, conversation per e-mail with other people here) and since I am French, I also get mails in French and the translations I am writing are in French or exceptionally in German. I am writing mostly to translators in English and in Proz in English.

This may mean that I would have to change the keyboard configuration between each task.

Furthermore, I learnt the 10-finger blind typing System IN GERMAN, which means I am 5 times slower writing French on a French Keyboard than doing it on a German Keyboard (even if I have to play around because of the accents). If I take the French keyboard, then I have problems with the äöü letters

[Edited at 2007-07-03 08:20]

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Code? Jul 3, 2007

You could still try to enter the Unicode number for your special character. Gnome supports UTF-8 so you should be fine if you can find the right code for your character (any UTF8 listing will do).

I am not sure now if it's ALT+Shift or ALT+Ctrl you have to press while entering the code, but one of these key combinations should work.

Sonja

P.S. There probably is a way to save special key strokes to a single key combination. I have not done so on Gnome, but I
... See more
You could still try to enter the Unicode number for your special character. Gnome supports UTF-8 so you should be fine if you can find the right code for your character (any UTF8 listing will do).

I am not sure now if it's ALT+Shift or ALT+Ctrl you have to press while entering the code, but one of these key combinations should work.

Sonja

P.S. There probably is a way to save special key strokes to a single key combination. I have not done so on Gnome, but I am sure if you try Google you'll find a way to do it.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-03 08:21]
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ALT keys Jul 3, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Sonja

I tried ALT + 0231 but it not working

Jérôme Haushalter
Jérôme Haushalter
France
English to French
+ ...
Palette de caractères Jul 3, 2007

Bonjour Yolande,

Avec Gnome, on peut ajouter à la barre de menu (la barre du haut), un applet qui s'appelle en français "palette de caractères", il est entièrement paramétrable. Moi je l'utilise pour les caractères spéciaux scandinaves

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
... Jul 3, 2007

I tried ALT + 0231 but it not working

See:

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
None are working Jul 3, 2007

Alt + schift ist doing nothing and with Alt + Ctrl, I only get the two last numbers (31).

I think I will have to have a look at the config files with the deadkeys.

I hope I will not crash everything with making a mistake (I just reinstalled the whole system).

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "kbd"
Identifier "Keyboard[0]"
Option "Protocol" "Standard"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
Option "XkbModel" "pc1
... See more
Alt + schift ist doing nothing and with Alt + Ctrl, I only get the two last numbers (31).

I think I will have to have a look at the config files with the deadkeys.

I hope I will not crash everything with making a mistake (I just reinstalled the whole system).

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "kbd"
Identifier "Keyboard[0]"
Option "Protocol" "Standard"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

I have the above configuration so it is not working. It is however written not to change because it is automatically created. When can I then make the change?

[Edited at 2007-07-03 08:51]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Taste combinations for special characters in Linux Jul 3, 2007

Acute and grave accents, e.g. é and è, should work even on a German keyboard (i.e. German hardware keyboard and German keyboard layout, like the one I'm using at the moment). You must however have the correct keyboard configured, i.e. "with dead keys".

Cedilla is slightly more complicated as it wasn't implemented in Linux at the same time. There are ways of getting it with then comma then c or (I think) with AltGR+comma then c, but you will probably have to set up these options y
... See more
Acute and grave accents, e.g. é and è, should work even on a German keyboard (i.e. German hardware keyboard and German keyboard layout, like the one I'm using at the moment). You must however have the correct keyboard configured, i.e. "with dead keys".

Cedilla is slightly more complicated as it wasn't implemented in Linux at the same time. There are ways of getting it with then comma then c or (I think) with AltGR+comma then c, but you will probably have to set up these options yourself.

Jérôme's suggestion sounds like the most practical in your situation.

You might also consider using the Swiss keyboard. The 26 letters and the main punctuation marks are in the same place as those on the German keyboard, but there are different arrangements for getting the French characters. You may have to play around with the options.

Marc
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
... Jul 3, 2007

1) The keyboard layout I use is called "Germany dead acute grave", which allows me to at least type é or à. I also found æ by typing ALTGr+a. ô works if you type ALTGr+ä and then the required letter. In Ubuntu, you can change the keyboard layout under System->Einstellungen->Tastatur (if you are running a German version) and then choose the tab "Belegungen".

2) I was a bit wrong with the Unicode key combination. It's Ctrl+Shift, not Alt+Ctrl or Alt+Shift.

3) Apart f
... See more
1) The keyboard layout I use is called "Germany dead acute grave", which allows me to at least type é or à. I also found æ by typing ALTGr+a. ô works if you type ALTGr+ä and then the required letter. In Ubuntu, you can change the keyboard layout under System->Einstellungen->Tastatur (if you are running a German version) and then choose the tab "Belegungen".

2) I was a bit wrong with the Unicode key combination. It's Ctrl+Shift, not Alt+Ctrl or Alt+Shift.

3) Apart from the above mentioned, it's still ç that is missing. The key combination is Ctrl+Shift+00e7 .

4) Here are two links that explain how to create custom keyboard layouts:
http://hektor.umcs.lublin.pl/~mikosmul/computing/articles/custom-keyboard-layouts-xkb.html
http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/Blog/custom-keyboard-in-linuxx11

Google will probably give you more results.

Sonja

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-03 09:08]
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Swiss keyboard Jul 3, 2007

I think the swiss keyboard is a very interesting indeed, especially for French-German translators.

The swiss keyboard however seems to be missing the ß key.

I have then other problems.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 10:04]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:30
German to English
+ ...
Changing keyboard on Gnome Jul 3, 2007

Right mouse click on your main Gnome tray
Select "Add to Panel"
Select "Keyboard Indicator"
Right mouse click on applet created in main Gnome tray
(or just go to: System>Preferences>Keyboard)
Select "Keyboard Preferences"
Select "Layouts"
Click "Add"
In left-hand window select Language
Close "Keyboard Preferences"
Click on applet

The US International keyboard may also be hel
... See more
Right mouse click on your main Gnome tray
Select "Add to Panel"
Select "Keyboard Indicator"
Right mouse click on applet created in main Gnome tray
(or just go to: System>Preferences>Keyboard)
Select "Keyboard Preferences"
Select "Layouts"
Click "Add"
In left-hand window select Language
Close "Keyboard Preferences"
Click on applet

The US International keyboard may also be helpful to you

http://www.proz.com/post/538414
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jul 3, 2007

Deleted (double)

[Edited at 2007-07-03 10:00]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Key combinations for special characters in Linux

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »