Will Linux and StarOffice support my dictionaries in MS Excel?
Thread poster: Troy Fowler

Troy Fowler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
Mar 25, 2003

I\'m preparing to switch from using MS XP to a Linux based operating system. I have all my dictionaries (in Japanese) in a single MS excel file. The excel file has a macro for added search functionality that I use a lot. Will the excel file work (i.e. display Japanese and macro function) if opened in StarOffice? Can you advise any other Linux operating environments to use?

Thanks.

Troy

Direct link Reply with quote

Matthew Coulson  Identity Verified
Albanian to English
+ ...
No macro support Mar 26, 2003

You will have problems with the file. The main issue is that there is no support for VBScript Macros. I am unsure of exactly how well their support is for Japanese but there were a few issues with Chinese that I ran into, but I never tried to do an import with a dual byte language so it might not handle it very well. I know that Sun has made dual byte support one of the key differences between StarOffice and OpenOffice.

You might be interested in looking at Crossover Office by codeweavers

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

I have had good luck running MS-Word and MS-Excel with it. Sure you are still running Microsoft products but I personally think the only good software that Microsoft makes is their office suite.

With respect to what Linux operating environment to use that is completely up to you. They all have different advantages and annoyances so you have to decide what advantages or annoyances you want or can live with. For beginners Mandrake tends to be the best, and it is one of the biggest distributions in Europe. Suse is also big in Europe. Redhat is big in the USA so if you need support from your Linux Guru friends you need to look at where you live.

TurboLinux has great Japanese support but it isn\'t used by a whole lot of people in the US or Europe.

I know that Redhat and Mandrake both have Japanese support but since my Japanese isn\'t any good I can\'t say how good their support is.

There is a version of Debian in Japanese but I personally find that most of the users of Debian tend to be Zeolots.

Good luck.

Matthew Coulson

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
German to English
+ ...
Migration to Linux Mar 26, 2003

Matthew has already given you excellent advice. Here are a few more points:

Several applications are available for Linux which can handle Excel files: not just StarOffice/OpenOffice.org, but also Hancom Office, Applixware/Anyware Office and Gnumeric. However, none of these, nor any other native Linux application for that matter, supports Word/Excel macros.

If your Excel macro is important to you, your choice is essentially between using MS Office on Crossover Office, and re-writing your macro in a different macro language for another application.

The Crossover Office option is a good one, but you must have MS Office/Excel 97 or 2000. Crossover Office does not support earlier versions, and although Codeweavers announced plans to support Office XP, to my knowledge they haven\'t yet done so. Crossover + MS Office works reasonably well; there are some quirks but you should have no problems with the macros. I am using Crossover + MS Office with Wordfast, for example.

If you decide to re-write your macro, SO/OpenOffice.org may not be your best choice. The Star Basic macro language is similar to Microsoft\'s but there is virtually no documentation for it, and there is also no macro recorder. Sun would much prefer users to write their macro code in Java, but that is even more difficult to learn.

You might consider Applixware/Anyware Office. Applixware has an extremely powerful and flexible macro language (ELF) and can be used to build whole applications, GUIs, the works. It also has a macro recorder. Some programming experience would definitely be an advantage though, though, as the manual, although good, is not really beginner level.

Apart from the macro issue, SO/OpenOffice.org handles Excel files very well, and you shouldn\'t be without it - it is free, after all. Applixware costs $50 - $100, depending upon where you buy it.

Regarding which version of Linux to use: I recommend you try perhaps three or four. After all, the cost is minimal - free, if you download the ISO images and burn your own CDs (advisable only if you have a broadband connection), or a couple of dollars from a reseller. Once you decide on a version, buy a copy from the distributor with manual and support, if available.

Japanese support will be your major concern. Try

www.distrowatch.com

which has an awesome collection of distributions, including dedicated Japanese ones.

Finally: don\'t expect to move directly from Windows to Linux! Keep your Windows machine around for a while. If you don\'t want or can\'t afford two machines, make your machine dual-boot. Buying a new hard drive, preferably removable, and installing Linux on that is a good solution.

You\'re welcome to the join the Linux for Translators forum at

groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxfortranslators

if you haven\'t done so already. Good luck!

Marc

Troy Fowler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the help Marc and Matthew! Mar 28, 2003

I really appreciate the pointers! I plan on using your comments and suggestions when I finally make a decision.

Cheers.

Troy

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:59
Italian to English
+ ...
I can vouch for Crossover/Office... Mar 28, 2003

Well worth the 45 bucks I paid (actually, I think the price has gone up to 55 dollars - still a good deal). Through Crossover, not only can you run MS Office/IE Eplorer, but other apps as well, although Codeweavers won\'t support them. I currently run several other windows apps through Crossover - Webster\'s New World Dictionary, a program called \"Tutto per scrivere bene\", Garzanti\'s Digita, L&H Simply Translating.

Adobe Acrobat also works well through Crossover. OmegaT (the Translation Memory pgm available on Linux) is improving nicely.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-03-26 07:13, MarcPrior wrote:

The Crossover Office option is a good one, but you must have MS Office/Excel 97 or 2000. Crossover Office does not support earlier versions, and although Codeweavers announced plans to support Office XP, to my knowledge they haven\'t yet done so. Crossover + MS Office works reasonably well; there are some quirks but you should have no problems with the macros. I am using Crossover + MS Office with Wordfast, for example.

Marc

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
do you mean Trados and Fusion will run on this? Aug 23, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

Matthew has already given you excellent advice. Here are a few more points:

Several applications are available for Linux which can handle Excel files: not just StarOffice/OpenOffice.org, but also Hancom Office, Applixware/Anyware Office and Gnumeric. However, none of these, nor any other native Linux application for that matter, supports Word/Excel macros.

If your Excel macro is important to you, your choice is essentially between using MS Office on Crossover Office, and re-writing your macro in a different macro language for another application.

The Crossover Office option is a good one, but you must have MS Office/Excel 97 or 2000. Crossover Office does not support earlier versions, and although Codeweavers announced plans to support Office XP, to my knowledge they haven't yet done so. Crossover + MS Office works reasonably well; there are some quirks but you should have no problems with the macros. I am using Crossover + MS Office with Wordfast, for example.

If you decide to re-write your macro, SO/OpenOffice.org may not be your best choice. The Star Basic macro language is similar to Microsoft's but there is virtually no documentation for it, and there is also no macro recorder. Sun would much prefer users to write their macro code in Java, but that is even more difficult to learn.

You might consider Applixware/Anyware Office. Applixware has an extremely powerful and flexible macro language (ELF) and can be used to build whole applications, GUIs, the works. It also has a macro recorder. Some programming experience would definitely be an advantage though, though, as the manual, although good, is not really beginner level.

Apart from the macro issue, SO/OpenOffice.org handles Excel files very well, and you shouldn't be without it - it is free, after all. Applixware costs $50 - $100, depending upon where you buy it.

Regarding which version of Linux to use: I recommend you try perhaps three or four. After all, the cost is minimal - free, if you download the ISO images and burn your own CDs (advisable only if you have a broadband connection), or a couple of dollars from a reseller. Once you decide on a version, buy a copy from the distributor with manual and support, if available.

Japanese support will be your major concern. Try

www.distrowatch.com

which has an awesome collection of distributions, including dedicated Japanese ones.

Finally: don't expect to move directly from Windows to Linux! Keep your Windows machine around for a while. If you don't want or can't afford two machines, make your machine dual-boot. Buying a new hard drive, preferably removable, and installing Linux on that is a good solution.

You're welcome to the join the Linux for Translators forum at

groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxfortranslators

if you haven't done so already. Good luck!

Marc

Hello Marc, The fact you are able to run Wordfast on Cross-over office, would mean Trados and Fusion will run aswell, right.
Rgds,
Brandis

German to English
+ ...
Running Windows applications on Linux Sep 2, 2004

Brandis wrote:

The fact you are able to run Wordfast on Cross-over office, would mean Trados and Fusion will run aswell, right.

Hi Brandis,

Crossover Office supports only a limited number of Windows applications. The most important one for translators is of course Microsoft Office. You can find a list of officially supported applications at www.codeweavers.com.

Some Windows applications will run on Crossover Office even though they are not officially supported. Wordfast (including PlusTools), Wordfisher, Sprint (no longer available, I believe) and Ecco are four translation memory applications that I have tried and found to run. Trados will almost certainly *not* run, though I can't say that I've tried it. SDLX is rumoured to run, and Bridgeterm claims that Promemoria will run (bridgeterm.com/pdf/communique_aout_2003.pdf). I don't know about Fusion.

Marc

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:59
German to English
+ ...
Crossover - Wine Sep 6, 2004

Isn't it worth trying Word (and Wordfast) straight on raw Wine before forking out for Crossover?

(Not currently thinking of buying Word myself - have had partial success with Windows version of AbiWord on Wine, less with TransApp, other applications won't even load)

German to English
+ ...

Robert Tucker wrote:

Isn't it worth trying Word (and Wordfast) straight on raw Wine before forking out for Crossover?

Depends how much time you're willing to spend tinkering, I suppose. I never had much success with the undiluted WINE, I've been very happy with CO and find the price very reasonable, and Crossover supports the development of WINE anyway.

Marc

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:59
German to English
+ ...

MarcPrior wrote:

Robert Tucker wrote:

Depends how much time you're willing to spend tinkering, I suppose. I never had much success with the undiluted WINE, I've been very happy with CO and find the price very reasonable, and Crossover supports the development of WINE anyway.

Marc

With MS Word Wine's maybe number one target, it might possibly work quite well, as reported, without recourse to winedebug. In which case, with the software downloaded, an rpm command to install Wine, (maybe a computer restart), and a Wine command to run Word setup should clear the way to run Word by a further single Wine command as and when required.

Robert

Maurice Roman
Local time: 13:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Debian users - ? May 10, 2005

[quote]Matthew Coulson wrote:

There is a version of Debian in Japanese but I personally find that most of the users of Debian tend to be Zeolots.

Hi,

I am curious to know, what makes most Debian users "zealots"?

Just wondering.

MRH

German to English
+ ...
Debian and zealots May 31, 2005

Maurice Roman wrote:

It is more likely to be the case that most (Linux) zealots are Debian users.

Marc (strictly SuSE!)

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
but, but.... Mar 29, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

Maurice Roman wrote:

It is more likely to be the case that most (Linux) zealots are Debian users.

Marc (strictly SuSE!)

But, I´m a total Linux zealot, and use Fedora Core.

tony

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
why? Jul 22, 2006

Robert Tucker wrote:

(Not currently thinking of buying Word myself - have had partial success with Windows version of AbiWord on Wine, less with TransApp, other applications won't even load)

Why use Windows version of Abi, when the linux version works just fine?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will Linux and StarOffice support my dictionaries in MS Excel?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs